Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > A B Able Truck's Profile

A B Able Truck's Albums
  Album Title Pictures Last Picture
Picture Oil Consumption (CCV) fix
Installed pads & filters to restrict oil flow in crankcase vent system. I went from using 1 qt. every 1,000 miles to 1 qt. every 2,500 mile +/- (Updated 8/28/13) ****
9/13 Installed clear breather tubes
*This note was copied from a BMW Technical Training manual
Note: If the exhaust system produces blue smoke, it is necessary to check whether the engine is also drawing oil into the combustion chamber through the crankcase breather, which suggest that there is a fault in the area of the crankcase breather. A clear sign of a problem is an oiled up clean-air pipe.
Info: Benefits of an Oil Catch Can (copy & paste to your URL)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ7Z2F51fzs&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDJ7 Z2F51fzs

Note: I have removed my Scotch Pad filters after installing my clear tube assembly - I found the pads had a tendency to hold oil.
**** Touch Photo for Details ****
9 10-19-2013 04:35 PM
Picture CCV valves / Sludge / Valve cover oil separator
Here in San Diego I have not run across this "sludge" problem. But the interior of the valve cover has a "labyrinth" of passageways to separate the oil from the air and allow the crankcase to ventilate. Those passages can get clogged to the point that it reduces it's ability to work as designed.
*** Touch Photos for Details ***
4 09-29-2013 03:47 PM
Picture Carbon photos
Piston top photos taken thru plug hole before and after the second application of Sea Foam (Sprayed directly on piston tops, thru intake while running & added to fuel) - If you're working on a oil related smoke issue, you need to reduce the oil flow to the combustion chamber, fix all vacuum leaks and combat the carbon buildup that exists on your pistons and valves. ** I stopped using the Techron - didn't work as well as Sea Foam
*** Touch Photo for Details ***
5 09-20-2013 12:56 PM
Picture Now that's carbon buildup
Carbon on a Mercedes diesel
2 09-04-2013 08:53 PM
Picture Crankcase Vent Tube
Eventhough my vehicle was not listed in the recall (SIB) - I still had the same problem (a cracked tube - vacuum leak) which can contribute to a smoke issue. I have run across 2 or 3 recalls (SIB) for various engines on this issue.
2 08-28-2013 10:16 AM