PDA

View Full Version : New member buying ED 545

calverbmw
06-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Great site and lots of useful info to start.

I'm planning to buy an '05 545 through ED. I'll be test driving one this Sat but I'm pretty sure this is what I want. According to ED, it takes ~3 months to process so I'm looking at Sept for the Germany trek. Then another what - 6 to 8 weeks to deliver to the US? That'll get me driving here in Los Angeles by mid to late October! Should I wait for the '06 550? I'm sure I'll pay more since demand will be higher but is it worth the wait and added features of the 550? If I wait, can I pre-order so that I'm in Germany to pick up the 06 by November? Is it worth driving a new car in Europe's winter months? I'd be worried about driving in snow conditions since LA doesn't get much snow. As far as options, is the Premium Sound Package for 1,800 worth the money?

One more thing. Can I expect to get a good price on an '05 since the car would be almost a year old when I take delivery of it? I pulled the MSRP and wholesale price sheet for the car through this site but is it realistic to get somewhere in the middle of the two? MSRP runs me 59,950 (with all the features/options I want) and wholesale is at 54,105. This is ED price. These prices include handling but not tax/licensing.

Again, great site.

BillP
06-02-2005, 01:14 PM
You are getting pretty close to the ED cutoff since they don't make cars in August (or is it September?)

How "old" the car is doesn't make much difference on price, what matters is the invoice, how close to invoice you can get, and what kind of incentives there may be.

Bill

mrbelk
06-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Firstly, ED pricing is pretty much unaffected by model year changeovers, since the allocations are "bonus"es for the dealers. They don't have to worry about moving ED cars out of inventory, etc.

Shoot for somewhere around 3-5% over ED invoice. It should be very doable, whether you're getting an '05 or an '06.

Now, the lease and loan rates _are_ impacted by model year changeovers, and you could probably secure a substantially lower money factor or interest rate by locking in a deal now for an '05. The deals are good 60 days from when the current program ends; and you have to finalize your financing 14 days prior to pickup in Munich.

Then there's the issue that the MY05 model cutoff for the 545 will probably be sometime in August and MY06 550's won't be available for ED until October.

Also, "Search" is your friend. And ask around in the "Ask-a-dealer" forum and the "ED" forum for more information

-MrB

TGray5
06-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Now, the lease and loan rates _are_ impacted by model year changeovers, and you could probably secure a substantially lower money factor or interest rate by locking in a deal now for an '05. The deals are good 60 days from when the current program ends; and you have to finalize your financing 14 days prior to pickup in Munich.

-MrB
Actually, the residual on the 545 just dropped two points, thus increasing the cost of leasing and the money factor stayed the same. The key with ED is to do it early in the model year when the residual is strongest if you'll be leasing. ED is not like buying a car from the showroom where you get a better price later in the model year. If you find a good ED dealer, you can negotiate a price at a fixed amount over invoice despite the time of year.

Also, you can oftentimes find a build slot that is in que at the factory, so you don't need to wait as long for your car. I ordered a car and it was done being built a few weeks later. This will especially be true as the demand slackens for the 545 in anticipation of the 550.

calverbmw
06-02-2005, 02:32 PM
Also, you can oftentimes find a build slot that is in que at the factory, so you don't need to wait as long for your car. I ordered a car and it was done being built a few weeks later. This will especially be true as the demand slackens for the 545 in anticipation of the 550.

Thanks for the quick responses - sorry for being such a newbie...

how do you find a build slot info? (I'll use the "search" feature to get this one if it's somewhere in this site but if you know off the top of your head, appreciate the info in advance)

"Shoot for somewhere around 3-5% over ED invoice. "

The list I obtained from this site has MSRP and Wholesale prices - when you say invoice, are you talking about wholesale price? 5% over wholesale is around $56,080 - is that really doable? I also won't be leasing. Probably pay off in full - or at least using home equity $ so I can get tax writeoff.

Ågent99
06-02-2005, 02:37 PM
Shoot for 1-2k over Euro invoice...just go to BMW of Santa Barbara.

calverbmw
06-03-2005, 09:18 AM
since the year is almost over considering it takes 3 months to order through ED (asssuming I can't get my car faster), would it make sense to just wait for the '06 550? it seems i won't be paying more for the new 550i if going through ED.

Ågent99
06-03-2005, 10:08 AM
since the year is almost over considering it takes 3 months to order through ED (asssuming I can't get my car faster), would it make sense to just wait for the '06 550? it seems i won't be paying more for the new 550i if going through ED.I dunno what you'll be paying...I just know that the incentives to get a 545i are quite good!

BTW, I ordered my ED 545i in early February...picked it up in Munich end of March just before Easter, dropped it off 5 days later...picked it up here early May.

arnolds
06-03-2005, 10:41 AM
since the year is almost over considering it takes 3 months to order through ED (asssuming I can't get my car faster), would it make sense to just wait for the '06 550? it seems i won't be paying more for the new 550i if going through ED.

I would wait for 2006, IMHO.

adwebinc
06-04-2005, 04:21 PM

Just ordered my 545 via Ed on 5/26. Was able to secure 7/22 delivery. MSRP for my order - $64,740, monthly lease payment - $605. That is with no cap cost reduction!! :yikes:

If you want details on my deal, just private message me.

dylanand
06-04-2005, 05:53 PM
thats a great deal, I just PM'd you, want to see if I am missing something on my ED order.

adwebinc
06-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Check your PM for response.

Good luck with your negotiations! :thumbup:

calverbmw
06-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Just went to my dealer today re my ED order - '05 545i and '05 X3 (for my sister-in-law). I got the 545 invoice price from this site, which was 46,705. It used to be 47,225 in Sept 2004 and the price reduced in March 2005. My dealer showed me the updated invoice dated June 2005 and the price reverted back to 47,225. Is this right? Why would the invoice price go back up? It's only 500 more than what I priced but still want to confirm.

Here's a breakdown of my price sheet (California) from the dealer:

Base + all the options (rear door airbag, power sunshade, front comfort seat, split folding rear seat, nav, sat prep, sport pckg, cold packg) + destination&handling, dealer profit (1500) = 57,215. CA govt fees = 431, Taxes = 4726.43, Doc fee = 45.

Grand total = 62,417.43

Ågent99
06-13-2005, 09:46 AM
That is interesting that the price would go back up but who knows...they revise the prices every quarter or so and can do what they want.

arnolds
06-13-2005, 10:27 AM
That is interesting that the price would go back up but who knows...they revise the prices every quarter or so and can do what they want.

Apparently, somebody at BMWNA screwed up.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101014

Ågent99
06-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Apparently, somebody at BMWNA screwed up.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101014
Ah...I see how that might ruffle a few feathers.... :angel2:

X550-ED
08-27-2005, 12:58 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie on this forum but I've already spent more than 30 hours reading through and am very happy to have found such a great source for info on ED and Pricing though a bit confused on the pricing...

I downloaded the 2006 "5SeriesPricing" file and want someone to help clarify some things.

Under "Suggested Retail Price" section on the pdf doc:
1. Base Price U.S.A. Port of Entry = US MSRP listed on bmwusa.com, and on the car sticker
2. Base Price Euro Delivery Munich Pick Up = Price offered by dealer's ED sales rep at begining of ED negotiation?
3. Base Price Diplomatic U.S.A. Port of Entry = Where did this price come from?

Under "Confidential Wholesale Price" section (pg. 2) on the pdf doc:
1. Base Price U.S.A. Port of Entry = Invoice Price Listed on kbb.com
2. Base Price Euro Delivery Munich Pick Up = Dealer's actual price for ordering one 550i from the factory for me. And difference between this price ($48,575) and the "Suggested Base Price Euro Delivery Munich Pick Up" ($53,380) is what their profit ($4,805) is for taking this ED order for me? And that I should begin negotiating my ED price based on $48,575 up? Maybe $48,575 + 1000 (dealer commission)?
3. Base Price Diplomatic U.S.A. Port of Entry = Again, no clue where this price came from

Thanks in advance, for clarifying this for me.

:thumbup:

Ågent99
08-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Under "Suggested Retail Price" section on the pdf doc:
1. Base Price U.S.A. Port of Entry = US MSRP listed on bmwusa.com, and on the car sticker
2. Base Price Euro Delivery Munich Pick Up = Price offered by dealer's ED sales rep at begining of ED negotiation?
3. Base Price Diplomatic U.S.A. Port of Entry = Where did this price come from?
1. Correct.

2. Correct.

3. Most of us don't get to use this pricing scheme...it is special for special people. :)

Under "Confidential Wholesale Price" section (pg. 2) on the pdf doc:
1. Base Price U.S.A. Port of Entry = Invoice Price Listed on kbb.com
2. Base Price Euro Delivery Munich Pick Up = Dealer's actual price for ordering one 550i from the factory for me. And difference between this price ($48,575) and the "Suggested Base Price Euro Delivery Munich Pick Up" ($53,380) is what their profit ($4,805) is for taking this ED order for me? And that I should begin negotiating my ED price based on $48,575 up? Maybe $48,575 + 1000 (dealer commission)?
3. Base Price Diplomatic U.S.A. Port of Entry = Again, no clue where this price came from.
1. Correct

2. Correct. Shooting for 1-2k over Euro Invoice should work fine.

3. Again, ignore it...you probably don't qualify.

I'd say you understand things quite well and should have a positive buying experience! :)

Welcome to the 'Fest! :thumbup:

:D

sdriver
08-27-2005, 10:42 PM
The #3 option is for US citizens who live in Europe. We still get nice US prices while living in abroad...

Of course... I could be wrong... :D

X550-ED
08-28-2005, 12:31 AM
1. Correct.

2. Correct.

3. Most of us don't get to use this pricing scheme...it is special for special people. :)

1. Correct

2. Correct. Shooting for 1-2k over Euro Invoice should work fine.

3. Again, ignore it...you probably don't qualify.

I'd say you understand things quite well and should have a positive buying experience! :)

Welcome to the 'Fest! :thumbup:

:D

Hi Agent99,

Thanks again for confirming, as I was not 100% sure. Now I will have the info I need to negotiate a great deal maybe at New Century BMW, Shelly BMW or Nick Alexander BMW. Plenty of other BMW Dealers here in Southern California to deal with so if one won't do, I'll go visit another ;)

By the way, anyone know when is the best time to do ED and avoid the Cold or Heat in Europe? Weather has been crazy these past year (hot 90 degree weather in Nov. and cold 60 degree weather up to May this year here in So. Cal.)

Is Feb~April a good time to pick the car?

Ågent99
08-28-2005, 10:57 PM
I had GREAT weather when I picked up in late March earlier this year.

yamilrx
08-29-2005, 06:14 PM
I had GREAT weather when I picked up in late March earlier this year.

I picked up in late March as well and the weather plus the Lufthansa/BMW ticket incentive was the catalyst. March is a great month since the temp. is tolerable and the crowds are less in general than in summer months. The exchange rate did hurt, I know it is much better now.

X550-ED
08-29-2005, 10:47 PM
I was actually thinking about picking up in April and taking a vacation from work then, but I know I will be tempted to order in Dec for Feb, but I may be able to hold of until Jan to order and take delivery on March. I'm in Southern California that's why I'm assuming the 2 week order to delivery time.

Thanks guys for all the great info and for sharing your experiences. :) :thumbup:

Ågent99
08-30-2005, 08:22 AM
...I'm assuming the 2 week order to delivery time.
That sounds a little quick to me. I think I ordered in mid/late February and picked up on March 25.