PDA

View Full Version : The good .. The bad .. The drives you nuts

joeydosh
06-02-2005, 07:47 PM
A week ago I traded my 325 sedan for a 325 touring. I'm so hating it! :mad: And I wish I had explored the X3 before making a change. So.. as I sit here contemplating what to do... I wonder if you will share what you like about the X3 .. what you don't like .. and what makes you crazy. (Like on the touring the lip on the back drives me crazy because I can't open a dog crate and let the dog out unless I lift the crate up over the lip) - I suspect this is the same on the X3.

pps-325xit
06-02-2005, 10:39 PM
http://members.roadfly.com/PPS-325xiT/DSC01239.jpg :thumbup:

In our situation:

X3 advantage: Better visibility, handles just about as well as touring, panorama moonroof, NAV, leather.

Touring advantage: Feels low to the ground after driving X3 :rofl: , can open rear window independently, manual transmission, HK audio.

Touring has been able to accomodate some rather large cargo (massage chair in the box, 27" TV in the box). X3 has larger cargo capacity.

LmtdSlip
06-03-2005, 09:07 AM
A week ago I traded my 325 sedan for a 325 touring. I'm so hating it! :mad: And I wish I had explored the X3 before making a change. So.. as I sit here contemplating what to do... I wonder if you will share what you like about the X3 .. what you don't like .. and what makes you crazy. (Like on the touring the lip on the back drives me crazy because I can't open a dog crate and let the dog out unless I lift the crate up over the lip) - I suspect this is the same on the X3.

Not discounting your issues but those seem like fairly small complaints.

Think about all of the positive aspects of the Touring:

Car handling
Larger cargo capacity than sedan
Uniqueness
You didnt pay too much for a truck that dosent outperform trucks that cost thousands less

wingrove
06-03-2005, 03:21 PM
didint see those trucks when i was shopping around. Firstly i wouldnt call it a truck secondly i think my 3.0L sport x3 handles like no other car i've driven (IMO) and would love to know the cheaper ones that handle this well and with the spirit personality and emotion of this one.

Joeydosh, thers no lip on the x3's unfortunately so loading is easy. but heres the small whinge list:
No light to tell you which door if any is open, bmw bluetooth kit is woeful,
no electric seats for this money (in OZ), bumpers should be colour coded, side steps are pointless but look great. but theyre optional. Hmm thats it for now.

pipo
06-03-2005, 07:17 PM

Car handling
Uniqueness
You didnt pay too much for a truck that dosent outperform trucks that cost thousands less

A truck that doesn't outperform trucks that cost thousands less???!!!! If all you're talking about is 0-60 times, who cares anyway. Because otherwise, there's not a truck on the planet that comes close to matching the X3's traditional BMW virtues of handling, feel and responsiveness.

Better find a new source for that material you tote in the rear storage bin. :smokin: :D

JG
06-03-2005, 08:04 PM

Car handling
Uniqueness

The X3 'truck' as you call it, handles relatively close to my previous 5 series.

If you wish to call it a truck - then it is clear you haven't driven one.

Name one SAV that even comes close to handling like an X3 and cost thousands less?(doesn't exist).

The X3 out handles most sports sedans. Nobody claims it is a BMW sedan - but then it's not intended to be.

It's a superb handling SAV that is close to the ride of a 3 series sedan. It is an all-wheel drive vehicle than won the Alcan ice rally against a flock of Subaru's.

I don't seem to recall if any other 'trucks' were involved in the rally, or any rear wheel drive cars, except maybe the coffee truck at the check-in stations :rolleyes:

The 3 series wagon is an excellent vehicle and it is slightly better in the handling department for the obvious reasons. But the current 3 wagon all wheel drive doesn't come close to X-drive - nor does it's safety technology, seating position or storage.

Now if we are talking current 5 series X-drive...............then that's a different story.

joeydosh
06-04-2005, 04:20 AM
If you follow the forum, you know I bought a touring (wagon) last week and just *hate* my decision. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

I wonder if an alien took over my body and that is why I am in the situation I am. The car doesn't look right sitting in my garage and I don't *feel* right driving it. To make matters worse... TWO people at work asked me if I am preganant. :yikes: Imagine how those questions added to my anxiety and dislike of the touring. :mad:

I recognize this was a mistake and am trying to fix it before my feelings about the car turn really ugly!! :mad: That's why I am here.. trying to find out what the down sides of the X3 are. Don't want to make yet another mistake. But need to do something so I can move on with my life and be happy... :)

alpinewhite325i
06-04-2005, 05:45 AM
After having a couple of X3's for loaners, I have to admit that I was impressed.

They handled VERY well and felt quite solid. I really liked the utility (loaded my summer rims and new tires in the back to have them mounted) and the sunroof.

What I didn't like was the obviously cheaper materials inside and the hideous black bumpers.

wingrove
06-04-2005, 06:36 AM
from what i read before i bought on there were some issues with the earlier production cars but apart from the niggles mentioned previously i think unfortunately finding anyone on the forum who is unhappy may prove tricky. I did A LOT or reading and research through this and other forums and well... I won pne and everything ive read is true, one hell of a car/suv whatever. (but definately not a truck) doesnt sound like time will heal the problem you have on choosing the touring although its a problem many people would envy.

Pock
06-04-2005, 06:51 AM
Strikes me that it isn't so much the car as it is a perception of the car. Honestly, I find wagons slightly odd to drive after a sedan, too: the amount of open space behind the driver is new, and can be disconcerting (and I think that amount of space in a SUV feels acceptable because one is also higher off the ground). I would suggest, if you haven't committed yourself to getting rid of the thing, that you just take it for a weekend road trip to somewhere you enjoy going; that you put it to the use which caused you to trade a sedan for it in the first place; that you, basically, do things with it which will bring about positive associations.

Oh, and for the dog crate, perhaps you could nail together some 2x4's so that the crate itself sits higher? You could get fancy with it and even set apart storage sections--like to keep milk jugs from sliding around. There's no reason not to find solutions to these problems. :)

That said, if you are getting another car, don't buy it from the same salesman. Whoever sold you the touring obviously didn't do a very good job making sure you got what you wanted. And, with minimal exposure to the X3, I'd only list two complaints: higher roof makes it harder to load bicycles on the roof (which isn't an issue for most people), and there's a fuel mileage hit (although the actual ranges are similar due to a larger tank on the X3).

joeydosh
06-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Pock:
Thanks for your comments and suggestions!! You have definately captured some of the feelings I have. Especially the big open space in the back - which does feel funny. Obviously the touring drives much like the sedan (with side blinders one cannot notice much difference) - obviously the touring wagon is a little heavier in the back end.

I did haul some things in it todayand was pleantly surprised with the amount of stuff that fit. Obviously not what I could fit in my Explorer, but definately way more than the sedan.

I'm still unsettled about the whole thing (obviously). And don't feel I should stay in a car that I'm so unhappy with. Why pay all that $$ for something I don't like. And please consider that the X3 is only a few thousand $$ more when looking at an aggressive deal.
Maybe I need lots of sleep and lots of valium :-))) then I might feel better. ;)

joeydosh
06-04-2005, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=Pock]
That said, if you are getting another car, don't buy it from the same salesman. Whoever sold you the touring obviously didn't do a very good job making sure you got what you wanted. QUOTE]

Oh I don't think I'll EVER step foot in that BMW dealership again. :tsk: Especially after the General Manager quipped to me "Most people buying a 30,000$ car know what they want" :tsk: :eek: Now, he might have *THOUGHT* that and kept that comment to himself. Oh and the sales person has repeatedly told me he has a CSI of 99.2 ..hmm.. probably not if I get a call.

I have talked with three other dealerships this week and all three have said they don't understand why this dealership won't undo the deal and work with me on a new car. They all *claim* that's what they would do. I guess easy to say when you are not the one undoing.

I did discuss with the dealership within 12 hours of leaving with the touring. But they claimed to have sent the title paperwork off already. I have my doubts that anyone would move that quickly on a Friday afternoon of a holiday weekend. I think, if they wanted to help they could. And for whatever reason, (i've been given a few ideas as to why not) they are not willing to entertain. They will entertain a trade at an obnoxious loss. :thumbdwn:

So it would seem my only option is to go elsewhere, hold my head high, realize I made a mistake, sort of suck up the money loss, and move on. My sales person who sold me the sedan (but no longer deals BMWs) reminded me, I still have my health, hands, fingers, toes, etc... and it's only money. He says it's not the end of the world and not anything that can't be changed.