PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day Trip

climrgrl
06-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Just thought I'd post about my first road trip in my X3! I went backpacking out of Tom's Place (Little Lakes Valley) in the eastern Sierras over Memorial Day weekend. It's about a 450 mile drive to get there. My break-in period ended right around Mojave, so I was free to rev it high and pass from there on out! Quite nice to finally have a car with some acceleration. It was comfortable too, although I still need to figure out optimum seat adjustment for long trips. There are almost too many choices! Gas mileage I thought was very decent -- around 22 mpg and I wasn't exactly driving in a gas-mileage-friendly manner. ;)

There was plenty of room for 2 people plus snow gear plus extra crap, and I could see out of the back no problem. I'm trying out a cargo liner I bought off of eBay -- at first I thought it would be too flimsy, but it's actually not too bad. It's nice and light for taking in and out, and keeps the back pretty clean. It doesn't fit as well as I would like, but well enough to do the job. It even covers about half of the back seats when they're folded down. I'm also finding that the leather doesn't seem to absorb smells as much as cloth interiors did -- my old car always had a hint of campfire smoke and smelly climber about it. The X3 was fine after a day or so of airing out, although I'm not sure how much "new car" smell I still have left....

Anyway, here are some pics of the X3 loaded up in the parking lot, and a few scenic ones of the trip. There was still plenty of snow in the Sierras, so it was snowshoes the whole time. After hiking around at 11,000 feet one day, we managed to make some very decent mountain daiquiris out of snow, Gatorade, and a flask of rum. Ah! My kind of trip! Hard work and then :drink: instead of : puke:!

flashinthepan
06-04-2005, 10:36 PM
Looks like a ton of fun !! :)

vern
09-24-2006, 05:12 AM
Just thought I'd post about my first road trip in my X3! I went backpacking out of Tom's Place (Little Lakes Valley) in the eastern Sierras over Memorial Day weekend. It's about a 450 mile drive to get there. My break-in period ended right around Mojave, so I was free to rev it high and pass from there on out! Quite nice to finally have a car with some acceleration. It was comfortable too, although I still need to figure out optimum seat adjustment for long trips. There are almost too many choices! Gas mileage I thought was very decent -- around 22 mpg and I wasn't exactly driving in a gas-mileage-friendly manner. ;)

There was plenty of room for 2 people plus snow gear plus extra crap, and I could see out of the back no problem. I'm trying out a cargo liner I bought off of eBay -- at first I thought it would be too flimsy, but it's actually not too bad. It's nice and light for taking in and out, and keeps the back pretty clean. It doesn't fit as well as I would like, but well enough to do the job. It even covers about half of the back seats when they're folded down. I'm also finding that the leather doesn't seem to absorb smells as much as cloth interiors did -- my old car always had a hint of campfire smoke and smelly climber about it. The X3 was fine after a day or so of airing out, although I'm not sure how much "new car" smell I still have left....

Anyway, here are some pics of the X3 loaded up in the parking lot, and a few scenic ones of the trip. There was still plenty of snow in the Sierras, so it was snowshoes the whole time. After hiking around at 11,000 feet one day, we managed to make some very decent mountain daiquiris out of snow, Gatorade, and a flask of rum. Ah! My kind of trip! Hard work and then :drink: instead of : puke:!
Nice pictures. Is that a space in the middle between the two sun shade panels?
cheers
vern

dima123
09-24-2006, 06:59 AM
you have 2005 x3 and you just broke it in? :dunno:

05Boxster
09-24-2006, 08:10 AM
you have a 2005 and you just broke it in?

The original post is over a year old

dima123
09-24-2006, 09:06 AM
lol didnt notice :rofl: