PDA

View Full Version : Need Help w/ my Sirius Receiver Install

roup1
06-06-2005, 02:37 PM
I have a 330i w/ Sat Prep and I just received the Sirius receiver however it didn't come w/ any instructions. It's probably pretty straightforward, but just wondering if anyone had the directions or had any tips?

Thanks!

Roup

mjohnson
06-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Is the Sirius receiver available now for the E90? I have the satellite prep also and I was told by my dealer that it wouldn't be available for a while. Did you order it from your dealer or from somewhere else. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

roup1
06-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Yes, it's available now. Circle BMW in NJ would not sell me one unless I had bought my car there. I ordered mine from Nick Alexander BMW in downtown LA. They have a CCA discount deal - $435. As of Friday, they had 5 units in stock.

Crevier BMW in Santa Ana, CA also has them for $437. (list price is $495)

Best of luck...

Roup

roup1
06-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Here's a photo of the new E90 receiver - note that the plugs are different than previous verisons...

Donjhen
06-08-2005, 02:53 PM
I ordered the Sirius radio from Crevier and received today. The unit installs underneath the trunk floor covering near the back seat.

But no instructions! There are just 2 plugs, which were simple to plug in. But nothing appears inside on the head unit relating to Sirius.

Anyone know what to do?

Crevier is trying to find out for me.

Donjhen
06-10-2005, 03:54 PM
I was told that the E90's need to be brought into the dealership in order to have the Sirius radio communicate with the head unit.

I dropped my car off today and got a phone call a few hours later stating that they had no instructions yet on how to do it!! I'm so annoyed because I had specifically requested that they find out when I made the appointment several days ago.

And they also ordered incorrect parts to fix a problem with the lumbar support in the drivers seat.

Not happy!

ObD
06-10-2005, 06:24 PM
It's the same unit as in the E60 and E63. I would think programming would be similar. Ordered mine and it should be in next week.

crash8168
06-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Should only need to retrofit it in cip onto the most bus, nothing complicated.

mlenox
06-10-2005, 08:17 PM
My dealer informed me that the receiver is in stock but the mounting brackets won't be availible until July.

silverado
06-13-2005, 08:08 AM
I was also told that this is not plug-and-play and that it needs programming at a dealer. :( I should be receiving mine tomorrow or Wednesday.

ObD
06-16-2005, 04:38 PM
Picked up my receiver today. Plugged in nicely. No option for it on the radio display. Calling the dealer tomorrow to arrange programming. :tsk:

Donjhen
06-16-2005, 05:13 PM
I was told that BMW has not provided programming instructions yet to dealers. Not until July.

ObD
06-16-2005, 05:56 PM
I was told that BMW has not provided programming instructions yet to dealers. Not until July.

Thanks for the info. Won't bother till I get back from vacation in July. :madrazz:

silverado
06-22-2005, 07:19 AM
Was just informed by my dealer that they got the information they requested from Germany re programming my car to recognize the Sirius receiver (they said they got the the so-called "vehicle order" that they requested :dunno: ). I have an appointment next week to go in and activate it (they already physically installed it).

mjohnson
06-22-2005, 08:20 AM
My dealer quoted me the price of $780 + tax for the unit and installation. What's wrong with this picture. Do I have no options? Someone is making a little extra money on the side in this deal. Thanks.

silverado
06-22-2005, 08:35 AM
My dealer quoted me the price of $780 + tax for the unit and installation. What's wrong with this picture. Do I have no options? Someone is making a little extra money on the side in this deal. Thanks.
Get a seperate quote for unit and labor. I bought the unit for $425 from circle BMW in NJ. Shop around for the best deal on installation.

Donjhen
06-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Who is the dealer that is doing your install? I've been waiting patiently for my dealer to get the information.....

mjohnson
06-22-2005, 08:44 AM
BMW of Little Rock (AR)

silverado
06-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Mine is Herb Chambers BMW in Boston.

CC 330i
06-22-2005, 10:26 AM
From what I heard you will need 2 things to get the Sirius reciever to work. Neither of which is currently available.

1. The connection cable that goes from your Sirius reciever to the CD changer wiring under the plastic cover at the left rear of your trunk. Apparently this is not available yet, but the cable from the new 6 series apparently works. (see if your parts department will sell you one).

2. The mounting bracket for the unit. Apparently this is not available yet, but those with the receiver installed had the dealer or shop fabricate a mounting bracket for them. It can't be that hard. You could make something simple and/or add the factory mount in July when it becomes available.

Here is a link to a thread on the subject. Second to last post on the first page, by CaptJack.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831

mroctober
06-22-2005, 02:29 PM
I have "Sirius Pre-wiring" item on my price sticker ($125 or so), but I don't have the Sirius unit. Does "pre-wiring" save me any $$$ in unit$/install$/reprogram$ ?

ObD
06-23-2005, 02:43 PM
The connection cable that goes from your Sirius reciever to the CD changer wiring under the plastic cover at the left rear of your trunk.

Negative. It's under the rear floor for the pre-wire.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50185&stc=1

Donjhen
06-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Has anyone had their Sirius installed yet?

silverado
06-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Had my Sirius satellite radio activated at the dealer today (it was physically installed two weeks ago). My dealer requested what they called a "new vehicle order" from Germany by email and they received it. It is supposedly some kind of a full software setup information for my car that includes the Sirius radio (since it originally didn't have it). The term "new vehicle order" appears on the paperwork, so you may want to use that term with your dealer in trying to get yours installed.

Called Sirius from the car to activate it (was a click away with the integrated phone via bluetooth). Had to give them the ESN that appeared on the screen before the call (took a picture of it with my Treo ;)) The rep either inadvertantly or intentionally ignored the fact that a full year's subscription came with the unit and tried to sell me a year's subscription :thumbdwn:. Frankly I wouldn't have known that I had a free year if I hadn't read it online either here or on E90post. When I asked him about it, he said "yeah, here it is on your account" and asked me if I wanted to buy a discounted second year subscription :tsk:

Anyway, it works GREAT and I doubt I'll be in FM or AM land again anytime soon.