PDA

View Full Version : sirius antenna

cambie
06-06-2005, 09:40 PM
i re located my sirius antenna from my trunk lid to the rear deck inside the car. unfortunately, in the process, i broke the antenna wire. i spliced it back together and finished the job. it works now for the most part, but cuts out frequently. sometimes as bad as once a minute. other times not hardly at all. anyway, could this be a result of the metallic window tint in my rear window, or is it because of the broken wire? I was hoping to avoid buying a new antenna, but i guess i will if it'll fix this. otherwise the antenna will go back on the trunk lid i guess.

rkahn
06-07-2005, 04:49 AM
Several posts have mentioned that metallic tint will block the signal.

cambie
06-07-2005, 02:02 PM
damn. i thought i read somewhere that it should be fine. i guess i'll put it back on the trunk.

rkahn
06-07-2005, 07:06 PM
damn. i thought i read somewhere that it should be fine. i guess i'll put it back on the trunk.Maybe put it in the passenger side corner of the windshield. That's where it is in my wife's Lexus and it works perfectly. The antenna is so small we no longer notice it.

SRFast
06-07-2005, 07:22 PM
i re located my sirius antenna from my trunk lid to the rear deck inside the car. unfortunately, in the process, i broke the antenna wire. i spliced it back together and finished the job. it works now for the most part, but cuts out frequently. sometimes as bad as once a minute. other times not hardly at all. anyway, could this be a result of the metallic window tint in my rear window, or is it because of the broken wire? I was hoping to avoid buying a new antenna, but i guess i will if it'll fix this. otherwise the antenna will go back on the trunk lid i guess.

The "spliced" antenna wire is a problem. It is a mini coax cabela and there is no way it will ever work properly once it has been broken. I would replace the antenna.

Hope this helps...JL

cambie
06-07-2005, 08:29 PM
The "spliced" antenna wire is a problem. It is a mini coax cabela and there is no way it will ever work properly once it has been broken. I would replace the antenna.

Hope this helps...JL
i actually did the same thing on my old 4runner. i sliced the coax cable with my moon roof and splied it back together. i just took the outer layer of wire and folded it back on each end, and then twisted the ends together. i then stripped back the center wire's insultion and then twisted them together.

granted, it's not pretty, but i think it works fine. i may replace it soon, but i'd kind of like to wait. unless one can be had for cheap now days.

and i kind of like the windshield idea. although i'd have to run cable the length of the car.

cambie
06-11-2005, 09:23 AM
ok, another question: if the metallic tint is affecting my sirius radio reception, shouldn't it also be playing games with my gps reception?

i did the nav retrofit in my car, and always wondered if something was wrong because the nav doesn't seem all that accurate. it'll tell me my turn is ahead in 200 yards, when it's really less than 100. it shows me passing streets and intersections a second or two after i actually pass them. stuff like that.

i'm finally going in to get it coded on tuesday. maybe that'll help, although i don't know why it would.

r1man1963
06-22-2005, 07:05 PM
So, if I mount the Sirius antenna on the front passenger side of dash, I will have to extend the wire that came with the BMW Sirius antenna, isn;t that the same thing as splicing it back together and creating a reception problem ?
Thanks