PDA

View Full Version : Luggage space with seat up -- How much do you haul?

JBasham
06-07-2005, 08:14 AM
I like everything I'm seeing and hearing about the X3, but I have a question about the luggage capacity, with the rear seats in use (not folded down). I can't find a quoted spec for the cubic feet of capacity with the seats up.

I've looked at the luggage compartment but I'm a very bad judge of spaces, and I can't figure out how "useable" it is.

I'm used to driving SUVs with about 14 cubic feet of luggage space with the rear seats in the up position. That will hold -- with the cargo cover in use and no impairment of rearward visibility -- for example:

4 of those "roll-on" suitcases of the maximum size the U.S. airlines will let you carry on, plus a couple of smaller bags, a couple coats, and the odd briefcase, stuffed animal, etc; or

Eight large bags of landscaping bark mulch; or

A week's worth of groceries for a family of four (say 18 bags) spread out on the floor of the compartment without stacking the bags on top of each other; or

Four bags of golf clubs (if you don't mind stacking them 2 X 2).

So what kind of load do you folks usually "get on" with your X3?

mguhler
06-07-2005, 08:32 AM
I have had great success with the room for luggage. We'll do it again this weekend to our place at the shore.
We take the large BMW duffel bag, my son's high chair, stroller, toys. The dog rides shotgun, wife and son in the back seat. With everything packed, I still have a clear view out the back window with nothing obstructing my view.

I've had 4 golf bags with no issue. I haul tree trimmings to the local recycle place with no issue.

There is a lot more room back there then it appears. Then fold the seats and it doubles!

tnunnery
06-07-2005, 09:02 AM
According to http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/suvs/0401_bmw_x3/
The cargo area of the X3 "...holds 30 cubic feet with the rear seats up and 71 when folded..." so with the cargo cover drawn, it sounds like it would still be in the same ballpark as what you are used to.

I have had no problems loading a few weeks-worth of groceries, large racks of musical equipment and it made hauling luggage on our recent 1200-mile European delivery effortless. In short, it swallows lots of stuff - quite a bit more than the 54.4 cubic foot capacity of the X5. :thumbup:

TVN

climrgrl
06-07-2005, 09:38 AM
With the seats up it holds a large Black Diamond Zion haulbag, a Dana Bombpack full of gear, and misc. jackets, shoes, chalkbag, etc.......which has been scientifcally shown to be equal to exactly 17.85 Trader Joe's grocery bags! :rofl:

Ok, not so sure about that last part, but there is a lot of room! I think you'll be fine! :thumbup:

joeydosh
06-08-2005, 04:33 AM
Imagine the dealerships surprise when I hauled in three dog crates to see how they would fit into the X3. :rofl: Better to find out up front what will fit instead of after. Why not take your suitcase to the dealership and see how it fits? That will help you judge if your groceries, etc. will fit.
:)

stevenw66
06-08-2005, 10:49 AM
There is a Cargo Net Option that extends from the Cargo cover which allows you to fill cargo area to the top without fear of cargo flying to the front if a short stop occurs. It is abouta $50 option but very well worth it.

saloveku
06-13-2005, 08:05 PM
but you can't get golf clubs in length wise with the back seat up, can you?