PDA

View Full Version : X3 OK for offroad use?

duvbear
06-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Does anyone have any experience with using an x3 on unimproved roads - unpaved, washboard, potholes? I would like to know if an x3 would be appropriate for our periodic forays into Mexico. Thanks.

Rob V
06-08-2005, 04:46 PM
I haven't taken deivery of my X3 yet, so I don't have real experience, but several reviews have commented that as well as it drives on pavement it really shines off-road. Now, I wouldn't take it boulder crawling or anything serious but it can certainly handle and established trail with ease. Here is an article that has plenty of pictures of the X3 off-road.

http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/B/bmw/x3.html

Rob V
06-08-2005, 04:47 PM
In this particular picture you can see they have the X3 on a pretty good side tilt. If you look at the background you'll notice the trees are upright, which means that this picture wasn't accomplished by tilting the camera.

http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/B/bmw/x3/03-large/04-front-angle.jpg

b-y
06-08-2005, 06:06 PM
We took our X3 on the unimproved roads in Joshua Tree National Park this past January. There had been strong rains, so there was flooding and more washouts than usual. Even with the OEM all-season tires, everything went well. I tried the Hill Descent Control, but didn't like it much. I thought I has better control manually shifting the Steptronic. This is my first 4WD vehicle, and I had a great time. :thumbup:

mguhler
06-08-2005, 07:18 PM
In all kinds of weather and all kinds of surfaces, the X3 works really well. Haven't had the opportunity for the down hill control, but "off road" it does its job.

JG
06-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Does anyone have any experience with using an x3 on unimproved roads - unpaved, washboard, potholes? I would like to know if an x3 would be appropriate for our periodic forays into Mexico. Thanks.

Being an Architect and all.... :tsk: I have had my X3 on all kinds of challenging project sites - usually dominated by Ford 150 trucks.

I have even used the hill descent button on 150 foot drops that were in the 3:1 slope range (excellent feature). This thing goes anywhere my old Ford 'Exploder' went, and where any of the 150's have gone.

It's not a Hummer - but if your needs are for the occasional off road - it does just fine.

The only issue to be aware of is the ground clearance. What other vehicle could do this - win the Alcan Ice rally - go off road - and take on most sports sedans on the highway? :dunno:

xspeedy
06-08-2005, 08:58 PM
The main limitiations are with the lack of ground clearance and the lack of an ultra-low gear for ascending steep grades. The traction is probably there, but there isn't enough power to creep. The HDC works very well for getting down slippery (gravel/dirt) grades. It is there to help prevent you from sliding out of control.