PDA

View Full Version : iDrive Split Screen

glasd
06-09-2005, 10:07 AM
I just picked up our new 2006 530xi yesterday. We traded in a 2002 325Ci convertible, so this is our first BMW with iDrive (we have navigation on the 530xi). The salesman at the dealership was showing me the iDrive features. At first, we both thought the iDrive screen appeared in a "full screen mode" (nav and other displays filled the entire screen).

During the demo, he opened the assistance window (small window to the right of the screen which displays only certain information). We both tried for an hour to close the assistance window and return to a full screen mode. He called in help from the service department and even made a call to customer care, but no one seems to know who to return to full screen mode (service said there is a way to do this on the 7 series, but could not find the same command on the 5).

In the end, all we could find is an option to turn off the assistance window, which simply darkens the right-hand portion of the screen, but does not return the iDrive to a "full screen mode."

Does anyone know if there is a way to return to a full screen mode?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ågent99
06-09-2005, 10:15 AM
To my knowledge, they are two separate screens even though they appear to be one screen. There is no way to breadth the two screens with one image.

Now the E39 (previous 5-series body style) had the ability to go from split to full screen...but the E39 had only 1 screen.

arnolds
06-09-2005, 10:21 AM
To my knowledge, they are two separate screens even though they appear to be one screen. There is no way to breadth the two screens with one image.

Now the E39 (previous 5-series body style) had the ability to go from split to full screen...but the E39 had only 1 screen.

I seem to remember a full screen mode on the e60.

mrbelk
06-09-2005, 11:02 AM
I seem to remember a full screen mode on the e60.

I've never had the option of a "full screen" mode. For the SW version that I have (13.2), the only time a single image occupies the whole screen is at the "main menu." If I turn off the assistance window, it just goes blank.

-MrB

Ågent99
06-09-2005, 11:14 AM
If you guys look at the nav/tv thread going on right now and click on the website offering such, you'll see (once you click around a bit), that when they expand a DVD movie across both screens, you'll see a line where the two screens are separated.

Therefore, I still think we have two separate screens...not just one.

TGray5
06-10-2005, 01:01 AM
If you guys look at the nav/tv thread going on right now and click on the website offering such, you'll see (once you click around a bit), that when they expand a DVD movie across both screens, you'll see a line where the two screens are separated.

Therefore, I still think we have two separate screens...not just one.

Yeap, I agree..you can turn off the right window, but I don't think there is any way to make it full screen. And as I learned in traffic school last weekend, it is illegal in California to have a monitor that is more than 4" diagonally that is in view of the driver, so don't expect to see a bigger one from the factory anytime soon.

waiting
06-10-2005, 05:21 AM
I picked up my 530xi on Wednesday. It also seemed to be in full screen mode. I did notice that when in entertainment mode with the FM tuner displayed it was the entire width of the screen. Somehow, yesterday, I also enabled the split screen mode. The FM tuner screen is 2/3 of the left screen and my navigation screen occupys the right 1/3. I like it that way. But that is beside the point. Should it disappear, I wouldn't know how to get it back.

But I disagree on the 4" monitor comment. Even in 2/3 mode, I'm fairly confident the screen size exceeds 4"

My software version is 17.01

I'm still being awed by what iDrive presents.

Cheers!

glasd
06-10-2005, 05:44 AM
Thanks to all for the input.

From what I've learned here and elsewhere, the split screen cannot be undone. Although, it's odd that at least one other had the same fullscreen at first.

LarryN
06-10-2005, 06:12 AM
Thanks to all for the input.

From what I've learned here and elsewhere, the split screen cannot be undone. Although, it's odd that at least one other had the same fullscreen at first.

I was set up with full screen, when picking up my e90 in Munich a few weeks back. In fiddling with it, I went to split screen and never attempted to get back full screen. However, the nav display was full screen at first.

The e90 and e60 iDrive systems are the same.

waiting
06-10-2005, 02:04 PM
It's there. Page 21 of the new E60/xi manual. Its called the assistance window and it can be opened and closed.

adwebinc
06-10-2005, 03:39 PM
It's there. Page 21 of the new E60/xi manual. Its called the assistance window and it can be opened and closed.

Waiting is right. Here it is:

Closing assistance window:

1. Move the controller to the right to change to the assistance window, and press the controller.
2. Select "Assist. window off" and press the controller.

Switching Control Display on/off

To switch off the Control Display:

1. Press button.
This opens the start menu.
2. Press controller to open menu.
3. Select "Display off" and press the controller.
To switch off the Control Display:
Press the controller.

Ågent99
06-10-2005, 04:08 PM
I don't recall any confusion with the assitance window. The thread is about whether or not the full TWO screens of the NAV display can have one "image" across them. A couple of posters swear their displays were like this "one time" but now they cannot get it back or never tried to.

I'm guessing that these posters thought they had a full-screen but in reality, they did not.

The only time a clean full-screen is realized (near as I can tell) is when the screen is in the I-drive screen with the 4 selections of Navigation, Communication, Climate, and Entertainment (in which you move the i-drive controller in the direction of the item you want to select). Other than that, I don't see a way to get the screen out of two-screen mode.

Obviously, it is it possible to get one screen instead of two. Maybe newer software provides this ability...as LarryN might be alluding to in his post about the E90.

For me and my 2005 545i, I do not see how to do it.

Pterous
06-12-2005, 12:51 PM
I guess the issue must be the software. I can't go to full screen. When I turn off the assist window, it literally does that, i.e. turns off the image and I end up with a black box - the screen does not fully expands.

Ågent99
06-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Waiting,

Take a pic and show us...I simply can't do it no matter what and if you can, then I bet you have some different software than the rest of us and you might be a lucky duck.

If you are wrong, no harm done...I'm wrong at least 20 times per day and I have all the posts to show it! :rofl:

waiting
06-14-2005, 05:24 AM
Waiting,

Take a pic and show us...I simply can't do it no matter what and if you can, then I bet you have some different software than the rest of us and you might be a lucky duck.

If you are wrong, no harm done...I'm wrong at least 20 times per day and I have all the posts to show it! :rofl:

OK, now after RTFM and making the time to play with the set-ups, there is no need for pictures. I'll confirm that the 17.01 level software, once optioned to show the assistance window, won't revert back to full screen.

As mentioned, I like the assistance window opened all the time to give me real-time map updates. So once I did open it, I had little desire to close it. Even though the current manual hints that the window can be "closed", it does not shrink and go away. It just leaves 1/3 of the screen blank (except for the main menu i-drive screen).

So.......no lucky duck here. Just someone who reads the documentation and tends to believe it. :dunno:

Ågent99
06-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Where's that crow? :dunno:
:nono: :slap: :loco: :stickpoke :flame:
:soapbox:
:grouphug:
:whip:

:rofl: :D

Pterous
06-16-2005, 04:42 PM
I know some people had problems with Idrive, but never thought it would generate so much animosity. :rofl: How about you guys hug each other and be friends. :grouphug:

Ågent99
06-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Okay, TGray5 and waiting...I split off your little OT flame war and tossed it. I suggest taking Pterous advice and get over it and move on and try to stay on topic.

Thanks,

Your Friendly Moderator

TGray5
06-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Okay, TGray5 and waiting...I split off your little OT flame war and tossed it. I suggest taking Pterous advice and get over it and move on and try to stay on topic.

Thanks,

Your Friendly Moderator

Ahh, c'mon I was just getting started
;)

jumpstart
07-01-2006, 09:01 PM
2006 530i -- same problem with screen split. ALL screens were full view with the option to add the smaller "assist window" then change back. When the assist window was turned off, the screen would revert back to full view/screen. I went to the assist screen last week, and now it will not change to full view under any function other than the entry screen NAV/COM/ENT/CLIM. Appears to be a software problem.

chuck92103
07-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Is the screen the same width in the 5 series whether or not you have Nav? If it is, what is the right screen used for in the absence of Nav? :dunno:

DanM3
07-02-2006, 08:49 PM
The BMWUSA website has two videos relating to the iDrive system. Neither show iDrive in the "full screen mode," except for the main menu. Check out the link (http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/5/550iSedan/driversguide.htm).

The videos are under the Cockpit and iDrive categories.

I am no expert as I don't have my 5er yet, but thought this may help.

DanM3
07-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Is the screen the same width in the 5 series whether or not you have Nav? If it is, what is the right screen used for in the absence of Nav? :dunno:
According to the videos that I posted above, the screen is bigger with Navi.

stevepow
07-02-2006, 09:15 PM
I have the 2005 Owners Manual PDF (from the Owner's Circle Site) and no where in there does it show, indicate, discuss, or imply a full screen mode.

Cantona
07-21-2006, 06:17 PM
Has anybody figured out how to make the Nav go back to using the full screen? I hate the two screens ;(

Cantona
07-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Nobody? It drives me mad! There must be a way to go back to the full screen?!?!?

EGL
07-28-2006, 09:35 PM
A couple of posters swear their displays were like this "one time" but now they cannot get it back or never tried to.

I'm guessing that these posters thought they had a full-screen but in reality, they did not.

I've had my 2006 530xiT since October 2005. I'm not sure what software version I had, but I KNOW that for the last 9 months my radio station display covered the whole screen. I only used the split screen when using the nav map. Just had my software updated to the latest version, and now I only see 2/3 of the scale with the blanked out assist window on the remainder of the screen. Very annoying!

al437la
08-26-2006, 08:58 PM
I had the same. I own a 645CI which had for about 2 months a single fullscreen display on all functions of the idrive, including the entertainment, navigationn, etc until I activated the assistance window. Now there is no way to get back to the fullscreen and I am stuck with the 2/3 size. I hate it. So anybody having a solution, let me know

hormazd
09-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Never had full screen since CIP 12x June 2004 to current progman 22. The only time you see full screen is the main menu. Then any of the 4 subs will give you the split screen.

RussSwift
10-10-2010, 10:56 AM
I agree with just about everyone. Picked up the 06 530xi with a full screen, no question, full screen, after a about a week, and don't know what we did, but can not get anything on the right third of the screes except blank or the assist window. From the discussion, it does seem like a software problem. Other than a dealer, which I won't go to, is there someone at BMW, USA or Munich, that we can write, e-mail or call? I would prefer to know that it is a software problem, and then live with it, rather than thinking I just can't figure out how to get the full screen back.

I'll drop another note here about the 530xi's that seems to be an problem and the answer...frequent electrical problems solved by replacing the battery with a more powerful 7 series battery...any comments, suggestions?

Thanx very much to all who are contributing, but I have no great love for iDrive, although we do love the car.

Needsdecaf
10-10-2010, 11:53 AM
:yikes: Holy thread resurrection Batman!