PDA

View Full Version : Installed Ice>Link:Plus last week. Great product. Some observations.

gek330i
06-09-2005, 01:20 PM
I received and installed the Ice>Link:Plus on my 2001 330i.

To start with, I would recommend this product to anyone who wants to integrate their iPod in their car. It worked fine on the first try. Upgraded the software immediately to get the ID3 tags display on the radio and everything worked as expected.
The steering wheel controls work fine also.

Before installing the Ice Link, I had my iPod for just 1 week and borrowed an iTrip in the meantime to listen to it in the car. As much as I tried to find free frequencies, as soon as I moved a couple of city blocks, I would get interference and had to change frequencies again and it is a bitch to find a new one and get the iTrip to accept it every time. Even when there was no outside interference, it sucked if you wanted to crank up the volume a little bit. Don’t get an iTrip.

Now on to the CONS…
I got the Ice Link kit to connect to the back of the head unit, not the trunk kit. The installation instructions made seem like a piece of cake (which it really is, after you know how to do it). It’s basically just unplugging your radio, connecting the Ice Link harness in between and routing the cable that connects to the iPod out through the glovebox or the tray under the climate control. What I didn’t expect was that the damn radio can’t go in all the way with this new harness in place. BMW makes one big ass plug. So, looking how to place this harness/plug behind the radio so that it would have enough room to go back in took me 10 times longer than the actual Ice Link connection.

I ended up taking out the air vents above the radio to have more room to move the stuff around. Then removing the tray under the climate control unit to pull the plug behind that. Then pulling out the climate control unit itself to be able to place the damn plug just right. My hands got all cut up with the plastic bracket for the radio. Also, most of that crap just snaps in, no screws, and the force it took to get them out was way more than my old Honda needed. I have a Bentley manual and there it just says “pull”. I would rewrite that as “pull so damn hard you pop a vein in your forehead”.

Anyways, now that I have done it, I think it is actually quite easy to install. If anybody in the Philly area needs some pointers, I can come over to you and point to where you need to pull, but you do your own pulling.

Things I would like to be added to the Ice>Link interface:
1. Track Time on the radio display.
2. If 1 is not easy to do at first, then keep the track time on the iPod for those of us that have it mounted next to the radio.
3. On some radios (like mine), you have to push the next/prev buttons twice for the Ice Link to respond. I read somewhere this is something that has to do with the radio and not the Ice Link, but why do the steering wheel buttons work fine with 1 click?
4. Would like to keep the ID3 tag display on the radio when using the iPod user interface.

Again, I love the Ice Link. I recommend it. Tom was very nice taking my order and the MP3s that I have ripped from CDs with high quality VBR sound to me identical. I have already about 100 of my 500 CDs ripped and love to access them in an instant from my steering wheel without having to play around with the iPod and being unsafe.
<hr>
iPod with Ice>Link:Plus cradle and ProClip Angled mount 852805:
http://www.fiebru.net/misc/bm/icelinkplus/IMG_4168b.JPG
<hr>
ID3 Tags on 2001 330i:
http://www.fiebru.net/misc/bm/icelinkplus/IMG_4157b.JPG
<hr>
Accessing the Ice Link menu:
http://www.fiebru.net/misc/bm/icelinkplus/IMG_4171b.jpg

uter
06-09-2005, 05:01 PM
Very cool.
This has got me thinking about doing this for my 2002 touring with navigation. Can I still use the 6CD changer?

bmw325
06-09-2005, 05:12 PM
IAlso, most of that crap just snaps in, no screws, and the force it took to get them out was way more than my old Honda needed. I have a Bentley manual and there it just says “pull”. I would rewrite that as “pull so damn hard you pop a vein in your forehead”.

:rofl:

I'm glad someone else feels the same way. You're talking about the climate control, right? That thing is a major bitch to get out. I took mine out once for a different reason, and I really thought that I must be doing something wrong. I even bought BMW's "special" tool to remove it-- basicaly to L shaped pieces of metal that you insert on either side. I figured it would release some clip-- nope-- I still had to pull ridiculously hard to get the thing to come out-- the facelplate was bending from all the force.

Pretty stupid design,eh.

Kaz
06-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Very cool.
This has got me thinking about doing this for my 2002 touring with navigation. Can I still use the 6CD changer?

No, it uses the CD changer's input so the changer is gone. And I'm not sure if it works on NAV yet anyhow.

As for getting both the head and iPod to show stuff, I think that might be a limitation of the iPod, since every other product I've seen that provides external control and display locks out the iPod's UI.

gek330i
06-09-2005, 07:27 PM
As for getting both the head and iPod to show stuff, I think that might be a limitation of the iPod, since every other product I've seen that provides external control and display locks out the iPod's UI.
:( that sucks.
Oh well, still, I think this is one of the best options for the iPod->BMW out there.

cenotaph
06-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Dude, you should have taken some pictures during the install. :p

Could you give some description about where you had to put everything? I just recently got an iPod and I want to get the ice>Link with the behind the radio connection. Also, did you need the security code for your radio, and if so, where did you get it?

Hattori Hanzo
06-11-2005, 11:06 AM
I just purchased the IPOD for BMW kit ($150) and had it installed by by BMW shop ($170).

The only thing I don't like is that the name of the song doesn't appear on the radio. Otherwise, I have 3,000 songs installed and still have 27 GB left.

The IPOD resides in the glove box and connects to the wire, there is no holder like yours.

Oh, the other thing is that your have to create 5 playlists starting with BMW1 (has to be in caps). These coorespond to the cd numbers 1 - 5. # 6 is for all tracks.

gek330i
06-11-2005, 01:59 PM
The IPOD resides in the glove box and connects to the wire, there is no holder like yours.
Hi Hattori,
You can place the iPod anywhere you want with the Ice Link too. I chose to place it next to the radio, because I can choose to access the iPod's UI too.
Ice Link let's you access any playlist with CD numbers 1-5, #6 is to access Artists, Albums, Other playlists and Setup plus you get the ID3 tags on the head unit. Best of both world's I guess with the Ice Link.