PDA

View Full Version : I knew more than the dealer (about his X3)

SabreXray
06-10-2005, 10:06 AM
I stopped to look at silver / grey leather 2004 3.0 (had most everything but NAV, only 6,000 miles) with the Aerokit front bumper, standard sides and standard rear bumper and mud flaps (no I didn't have my camera). He wanted $39,950.

I was talking with him about the 2004 and a new silver / black leather 3.0 2005 (Premium, Xenon, PDC for $36,500) and was talking about the X3 being made in Austria. He was like no, they are built in Germany, he even showed me the "W" on the VIN and said see W for West Germany. I was like whatever, try looking it up guy.

That was the end of my conversation with this guy, if you don't know the car, you won't be selling me one. (Besides I already promised Katja from Rhein BMW I'd buy one from her). :bigpimp: :D

JP

pps-325xit
06-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Our salesperson insisted CD changer went in the trunk (like the 3-series) and was clueless regarding how to synch the Bluetooth.

x39339
06-10-2005, 11:50 AM
I stopped to look at silver / grey leather 2004 3.0 (had most everything but NAV, only 6,000 miles) with the Aerokit front bumper, standard sides and standard rear bumper and mud flaps (no I didn't have my camera). He wanted $39,950.

I was talking with him about the 2004 and a new silver / black leather 3.0 2005 (Premium, Xenon, PDC for $36,500) and was talking about the X3 being made in Austria. He was like no, they are built in Germany, he even showed me the "W" on the VIN and said see W for West Germany. I was like whatever, try looking it up guy.

That was the end of my conversation with this guy, if you don't know the car, you won't be selling me one. (Besides I already promised Katja from Rhein BMW I'd buy one from her). :bigpimp: :D

JP

Yes, I agree. Just like my sales person told me the BMWipod kit works with Navi and found out it didn't on the date I take delivery... By the way, thw W on the vin# stand for Europe, right?

szuszu
06-10-2005, 12:34 PM
W does stand for Germany. BMW has been messing around the Vin numbering for some time... but like we all know they are made in Gratz, Austria.

stangmatt66
06-10-2005, 02:44 PM
This has happened so often to me that I don't even let it get to me anymore. I always know more about the car than the salesperson so I just tend to act dumb and ask lots of questions I already know the answer to.

I've found that if you know too much about the car and show it, the salesperson won't try to sell you the vehicle they just want to talk numbers.

Maximus57
06-10-2005, 03:31 PM
I doubt if you will find very many sales persons that knows every detail about every car they sell. You, on the other hand have studied a specific car or SUV inside and out. These guys are going to get to know the basics on their entire line and that's it. I've almost always known more about a specific car I'm looking at than the sales guy. I did my homework first. The general public buying a car could give a flying F0ck about what the "W" stands for in the Vin number!

SabreXray
06-10-2005, 10:50 PM
I doubt if you will find very many sales persons that knows every detail about every car they sell. You, on the other hand have studied a specific car or SUV inside and out. These guys are going to get to know the basics on their entire line and that's it. I've almost always known more about a specific car I'm looking at than the sales guy. I did my homework first. The general public buying a car could give a flying F0ck about what the "W" stands for in the Vin number!
The sales guy brought up the "W" in defense of his argument that the X3 is built here, not me. I just hated the condesending tone of this guy, like I was obviously stupid for thinking a BMW was actually built in Austria.

Katja (Rhien BMW, Wuerzberg Germany), a girl - go figure, talked circles around me on the X3, she really knows her cars, I was very impressed by her knowledege, and like you say I have been studying this one car, she has to know her whole line up.

JP

climrgrl
06-11-2005, 12:35 PM
The sales guy brought up the "W" in defense of his argument that the X3 is built here, not me. I just hated the condesending tone of this guy, like I was obviously stupid for thinking a BMW was actually built in Austria.

Wow, I can't believe a BMW dealer in Germany could be that clueless! :tsk: