PDA

View Full Version : lowering and warranty

dacostad
06-10-2005, 03:06 PM
I have my new M3 Coupe on order and due for delivery in July.

I have ordered it with the 19" wheel option (not ZCP) and would like to lower the suspension a little purely for looks without sacrificing ride quality and reliabilty.

My only concern is what will this do to my warranty? will it just mean that if something goes wrong with the suspension parts I have intalled they won't be covered (which would be fair enough) or will there be knock on effects?

Thanks for any insight.

David

Clarke
06-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Exactly how do you expect to lower it without an effect on ride quality?

SpeedFreak!
06-10-2005, 04:46 PM
I have my new M3 Coupe on order and due for delivery in July.

I have ordered it with the 19" wheel option (not ZCP) and would like to lower the suspension a little purely for looks without sacrificing ride quality and reliabilty.

My only concern is what will this do to my warranty? will it just mean that if something goes wrong with the suspension parts I have intalled they won't be covered (which would be fair enough) or will there be knock on effects?

Thanks for any insight.

David

By law... a warranty provider must prove beyond a doubt that what ever you have done has actually caused the problem you are trying to have the warranty cover. Example: If they could prove that the lower ride height some how caused the suspension to fail... you would be replacing the suspension... but if it could not be connected to what you did... then they would have to fix the problem on their tab.
As for the ride... any changes will effect the ride. If you go for the H&R sport springs... your ride will be similar... the racing springs, however, will be very different then stock.

Jim in Oregon
06-13-2005, 01:43 AM
Over the years I've seen rear control arms broken from lowering springs not quite right banging away at the control arms. I've seen lots of strange rattles and noises in the suspension caused by lowering the car. I've seen squeaks stemming from the aftermarket swaybars. I've seen tires rubbing the wheelwells when 2 people sit in the backseat.

I really can't imagine why anyone would lower their car strictly for looks and not performance. With performance comes noises and banging, but it's almost expected if one is to perform better on the track.

The car sits fine and looks great...accept it...you'll be so much happier in the long run.

I figure BMW spends lots of money on R & D, and they have the car's suspension maxed out for overall performance and ride. If you start messing with some of the suspension parts, you end up messing up either the ride or the handling.

If you are looking for bling....instead of lowering the car, get some 22" wheels. The car will automatically look lowered without messing up the suspension.

Pinecone
06-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Sounds like ricer parts. :)

H&R lowering springs fit properly, don't bump and bang and rattle, and not only lower, but increase performance. I have them on two cars right now. Of course you need to put proper shocks with them also. Bilstein Sports on the Roadster, Koni DAs on the LTW.

Lowering for looks only, why bother, make a statement with PERFORMANCE.

dacostad
06-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the input guys