PDA

View Full Version : Windows Squeaks / Rattles

drakethib
06-11-2005, 06:18 AM
We juts bought a 05 X3 and is seems that our windows are squeaking or making some kind of noise when they are rolled up.

Anyone have teh same problem?

JG
06-11-2005, 07:36 AM
We juts bought a 05 X3 and is seems that our windows are squeaking or making some kind of noise when they are rolled up.

Anyone have teh same problem?

Not me.

I have read several things about window seals in BMW's. I can't recall anything specific to the X3 however.

Also check to see that it is not the panorama roof.

Do a search for "window squeak" and you will find lots of threads.

Woody
06-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Yes, I have had this issue 2 times already since Nov of 2004. Take it to the dealer. They have to clean all 4 door seals & apply a special silicone lube (used to be Gummi-Pflige).

I think they may be working on a fix, not sure.

joeydosh
06-11-2005, 01:37 PM
I have this problem with the X3 I bought this week through the CPO program. Dealer says they will fix it! And he did mention he has something to do with the door seals.

sfca-325i
06-11-2005, 01:49 PM
Yup,

Clean door seals with silicon remover.

Apply Carbaflo and allow to air dry for a few hours.

That's it.

You'll know if the creaking noise is your door seals if the noise goes away when you partially lower your window (this lessens the structural rigidity around the window frame).

mysticbluex3
03-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Yup,

That's it.

You'll know if the creaking noise is your door seals if the noise goes away when you partially lower your window (this lessens the structural rigidity around the window frame).

Do you do this to the seals on the door and the body?

phuksi
03-14-2006, 10:34 PM
Do you do this to the seals on the door and the body?

Here is what I did on my E46. I'll check tomorrow the seal structure on my X3 to verify. This will not be a good explanation without pics. I'll see if I can get pics taken tomorrow. Open your door, look at the top part of the door. There is a seal on top that cover the metallic window frame. Then there is that bigger inner round seal that goes around the entire door. On the top of the door if you try to stick your finger between the outer seal and inner seal you find a place where there is rubber against rubber. That is where I cleaned and applied gummi pflege --> all noices gone. Like said I'll verify the structure on X3 seals if it is the same as in E46.

There is also TSB on this issue: Link Here (http://www.alldata.com/tsb/BMW/1136102400000_1139212800000_512805/5128051.html)

- p

mysticbluex3
03-15-2006, 08:17 AM
Here is what I did on my E46. I'll check tomorrow the seal structure on my X3 to verify. This will not be a good explanation without pics. I'll see if I can get pics taken tomorrow. Open your door, look at the top part of the door. There is a seal on top that cover the metallic window frame. Then there is that bigger inner round seal that goes around the entire door. On the top of the door if you try to stick your finger between the outer seal and inner seal you find a place where there is rubber against rubber. That is where I cleaned and applied gummi pflege --> all noices gone. Like said I'll verify the structure on X3 seals if it is the same as in E46.

There is also TSB on this issue: Link Here (http://www.alldata.com/tsb/BMW/1136102400000_1139212800000_512805/5128051.html)

- p

I think I know where you are talking about. I think I am just going to do the treatment to All the rubber seals (door and body). So gummi pflege works? How does that compare to carbaflow? Also did you get the new window guide seal? Did that help also? I think I remember someone that said they had it done and it only got worse. Going to buy a tube of gummi pflege and apply it after work. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. This is interesting read. http://www.z3bimmer.com/OffTopic/E24Bimmer/Gummi/

petren
03-15-2006, 12:49 PM
I can tell you what my dealer told me: Don't use any grease or anything on the seals as it will make it worse after they get enough dirt on them. Instead let BMW replace the seals for free since there is a service bulletin on this issue You will get the better ones

I did the later and the rattles are gone.

Nick

petren
03-15-2006, 12:55 PM
Speaking of which, I read a little bit about the Carbaflo product and it seems like a very good product. Where would one purchase this in Canada? Canadian Tire does not seem to carry it.

mysticbluex3
03-15-2006, 02:05 PM
I think you can only get Carbaflow at the dealer. $40 for a small little tube. Gummi Pfledge is the same as Carbaflow. They are both greese like lubs that softens the rubber and protects against hardening. For some reason, BMW stopped carrying $10 Gummi Pflege and moved to $40 Carbaflow. I asked my parts guy and he doesn't know why they did that. Can anyone chime in?

manose
03-15-2006, 02:13 PM

- p

I had also this problem in my E46. In the local BMW service they explained to me that it was caused by static electricity on that frame for water drainage around the windows( I do not Know the english term- gutter?). They applied an antistatic painting and all rattles and squeaks were gone.

mysticbluex3
03-15-2006, 02:27 PM
So I guess there is

- Carbaflow
- Gummi pflege (http://www.1z-usa.com/sys-tmpl/plasticvinylrubbercare1/)
- Wurth Rubber Care (http://www.autogeek.net/wurth-rubber-care.html)

mysticbluex3
03-15-2006, 04:07 PM
FYI: I emailed Einszett N.A. to asked if Gummi Pflege is silicone-free. This is there reply.

"Thanks for visiting our website and your question.

Gummi Pflege is free of silicone oils but it contains essential water-based
silicone. There is a big difference simply because silicone oil has to be
mixed in a base of petroleum solvent which is harmful to plastic and rubber
components - causes drying, cracking etc. Silicone in itself is not
harmful. It's excellent for water resistance.

For more info on treating plastic, vinyl, and rubber components, take a look
at the following article from our "Keep It Clean" series.

http://1z-usa.com/miva?/Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ECCS&Category_Code=rubber_vinyl_plastic

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask!"

03-15-2006, 06:01 PM
i used wd40 and the sound went away for over month now
will see how it does long term

jdeday
03-15-2006, 06:29 PM
For those of you who had this problem, can you describe the sound. Is it a quick crunch sound comming from the doors? Or is it a consistant squeeking noise?

Thanks.

Jeff

AlanLX3
03-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Gummi Pflege is free of silicone oils but it contains essential water-based
silicone. There is a big difference simply because silicone oil has to be
mixed in a base of petroleum solvent which is harmful to plastic and rubber
components - causes drying, cracking etc. Silicone in itself is not
harmful. It's excellent for water resistance.

Now we are back to the post I did earlier - pure silicone does the job quite nicely and is a dirt cheap alternative to the fancy preparations that our auto dealers are selling. The stuff I am using was obtained from a Carquest auto parts store and is rated for use with food preparation equipment with zero petroleum additives in it. It comes in an aerosol can and I simply spray some on a rag and wipe down the seals.

This is the same treatment that divers have been using on their dive gear for decades and it does not harm rubber in the slightest.

mysticbluex3
03-20-2006, 08:06 AM
Ok, so I've applied Gummi Pflege on every rubber seal in the car and the creaking has seem to reduced 99%. I am pretty happy with the result. I'll give another report in a month to see how it holds up.

x3drive
03-21-2006, 08:39 PM
BMW SIB 51 07 04 recommends the use of a Silicone Remover, BMW part number 83.19.9.407.906, followed by the application of Carboflo, BMW part number 83.230.039.627, to resolve door seal squeaks.

Alternative products which can be used do the job just as well at home, are PrepSol or any commercial silicone or wax remover, followed by Wurth PFTE DryLube, Part Number 0893550, applied onto a rag first, then applied to the door seal. Spraying directly onto the seal leaves a visable white residue. Repeat 2-4 times annually keeps your X3 door seals squeak free.

I have the upgraded door seals fitted around 6 months back, and whilst they are a nicer fit around the windows and make a tigher seal, they have done nothing to improve the squeaking in the long term. I'm resigned to lubricating the seals regularly as above for the life of the vehicle.

WD40 like substances, and silicone sprays will attract dirt over time, which will make the squeaking worse, and has the potential to wear the seal over time.

zgredek
03-23-2006, 06:40 AM
I have exactly the same problem. I just got a 2004 x3. All 4 windows squeak when they are rolled up all the way and the car is driven on uneven pavement. All squeaking goes away if the windows are lowered a bit.

03-23-2006, 02:32 PM
i used wd40 only on the rubber strip at the top of the door . spray some on a rag a wipe it on squeaks have gone away for 2 months now . don't do the gaskets around the door opening of the car only the door top.

phuksi
03-23-2006, 02:49 PM
WD40 like substances, and silicone sprays will attract dirt over time, which will make the squeaking worse, and has the potential to wear the seal over time.

Exactly. Silicone sprays are like water on iron hinge. Works for a while but does not last and in the end is worse. Silicone sprays do collect small pieces of dirt and increase wear due to dirt scrubbing when parts are moving.

My gummi pflege lasted quite a long time. The following 6 months after treatment were quite ok. Then I sold my car and don't know the rest of the story.

- mp

petren
09-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Yup,

That's it.

On which portion of the seals or door gasket are you applying the Carbaflo. there is a plastic part and a rubber part. The carbaflo container I received is in a pen stile with a foam at the end container and I only applied it where the plastic meets the rubber with no result.

Where is this creaking sound coming from and where do you apply the Carbaflo to make it go?

Thanks,

Nick

beamaboi
07-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Just brought my 06 X3 in to the stealer, and unfortunately since i have 55k miles, i have to pay $300 to replace the door seals.