PDA

View Full Version : FREE Chrome Kidney Grills

Woody
06-12-2005, 10:30 PM
I knew this would make you look! :yikes:

Today when I was performing another simple exterior mod I came across this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/trefiveincognito/X3/DSC01836.jpg

I took my grills out to black them out & took off the inside part and found that the whole thing is chrome-not just the surround. So for those of you who want chrome kidneys here ya go!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/trefiveincognito/X3/DSC01837.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/trefiveincognito/X3/DSC01834.jpg

Here is my final outcome:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/trefiveincognito/X3/DSC01840.jpg

:thumbup:

Here are some poor nightshots-I have been so busy I haven't been able take some real shots (daytime) :cry: yet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/trefiveincognito/X3/DSC01843.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/trefiveincognito/X3/DSC01844.jpg

wingrove
06-13-2005, 12:42 AM
holy crap woody you god. cant beleive no one ever spotted that.
will have a look.
jas

mguhler
06-13-2005, 05:28 AM
You are a genius, can't wait to get home from work and rip the thing apart...Thanks!

BigO1120
06-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Good looking out WOODY! And the rims don't look too bad at all either!

Rob V
06-13-2005, 08:26 AM
LOL! How cool is that!? You just made a ton of people happy. U-DA-MAN!

Woody
06-13-2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys! It is too bad that I am not going for the chrome look on my car though-but I thought of all of you who were interested.

iceman72
06-13-2005, 11:50 AM
i checked mine on my 01 x5 and it is not like that. just the rim is chrome.

Steveo8998
06-13-2005, 02:50 PM
Thats soo Awesome! did you get your car in America!?! I wanted to get chrome on there anyways! i cant wait to try it, i hope mine works too!!

Woody
06-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Yes, I got it in California, it is a U.S. spec car.

mguhler
06-13-2005, 05:27 PM
This is hot. I take better pictures when cleaned up and better light.

Took about a whole half hour! Only 1 beer!

Woody
06-13-2005, 05:30 PM
Looks good on black!!

MPoWeRMAN
06-13-2005, 09:18 PM
awesome!! I'm gonna have the black part powder coated white to match my car, then I will have 3 choices: factory chrome, woody chrome, or white!! good find!!

tromar1
06-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Woody!!! :thumbup: U R Da Man....I'm definately trying the Chrome look for a while and see if i like it...By the way...what size Rims do you have. I'm thinking about upgrading to 19"...preferably Black or something like similar...

tromar1
06-14-2005, 09:32 AM
Hello People...call me dull, but how do I remove the grill without breaking stuff. I have broken many parts so far in my quest to customize and I don't want to incur another cost for parts..

Help!!

Woody
06-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Troy,

Look at my sig.-The wheels are 20's.

As far as not breaking stuff-all of it is plastic and pretty durable. I only broke one tab :mad: .

You have to pull the front top painted portion of the bumper cover that surounds the grills first (pull out away from radiator area (it won't pull all the way it will still be attached at the bottom portion) )& then you can see the tabs that go through that portion. Then use a small flat head screwdriver to press out the clips to remove the grills. Start at the top & work to the ends-pulling gently as you go-& then you can pull the grill straight out.

There are plastic tabs that attach the black part to the chrome part-press those out using a small flat head screwdriver too.

Thats it.

mguhler
06-14-2005, 10:50 AM
I'm usually all thumbs, but did not break one tab. These are quite durable. Just be cognisent of which way you need to press the tab; up vs. down and use your other hand with a screw driver to "pry" the grill from the front fascia.

Patience grasshopper

carlos
06-14-2005, 11:12 AM
ok maybe im an absolute idiot,

but i dont understand this whole process.

do you remove the black center portion and then remove the black paint?

how?

or is there something that im just completely overlooking.

Woody
06-14-2005, 11:15 AM
ok maybe im an absolute idiot,

but i dont understand this whole process.

do you remove the black center portion and then remove the black paint?

how?

or is there something that im just completely overlooking.

No, once you remove the grills you look on the back of them and find that the whole grill assy. is chromed & that the black painted part is a plastic part that snaps onto the chrome. Just unsnap the black cover & TA-DA you have a fully chrome grill. :thumbup:

tromar1
06-14-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks Woody:

I saw your Sig...I was thinking of 19" only because my dealership parts dept. said the largest offered for the X3 are 19s. I didn't want to calculate what size tire would preserve the circumference of the tire rotation, yada yada, yada...feel free to post what size tire you're using...

Dude...I should be paying you for this mod. Of all the mods that i've done, this by far is the most satisfying to date, And I've done many...

If I were to put in my sig all the mods I've done it would be too much. Suffice it to say, check out the post my mysticblueX3 titled "Audio, kit for aftermarket headunit."

Thanks to Woody...here are pics of the new chrome grill...I only busted one finger nail and two tabs...I quickly repaired them with "plastic metal" which dried in minutes. (click on pics for larger view...the first pics is the before shot)

Woody
06-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Troy,

My tires are 245/40/ZR20 all around. If I could do it again I would get wider tires in the rear.

tromar1
06-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Troy,

My tires are 245/40/ZR20 all around. If I could do it again I would get wider tires in the rear.
I hear ya...The parts guy suggested wider tires for the rear also. However, he noted that I should keep my regular 17s for the winter.

I can't go there right now....wife would kill me if I spent anymore after the AV upgrade. So, I'll keep admiring yours...

Caesar
06-14-2005, 02:25 PM
No, once you remove the grills you look on the back of them and find that the whole grill assy. is chromed & that the black painted part is a plastic part that snaps onto the chrome. Just unsnap the black cover & TA-DA you have a fully chrome grill. :thumbup:

But it doesn't look right, since the spacing in the grill slats is now too far apart.

Someone needs to post a before and after picture to see what I mean.

tromar1
06-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Case in point...Woody prefer to have his all Black, while I like the new all chrome look with the holes. I think it makes my car looks a whole lot better. I just took it for a spin and the sun reflecting off the chrome was amazing (to me).

I really like the holes that are now present, as it gives the impression of an aero dynamical design.

I don't know if the before / after pics will really show up well. Actually, that's why i took the pictures, so as to do a comparison. However, after doing one side, I took the plunge.

Question: what is the determining factor for too wide or too close? If they were originally wide and the revision made them too close would the same observation be made...that it doesn't look right because they are now too close? Then again, more air flow for the radiator.

mguhler
06-14-2005, 03:19 PM
It was great walking to the parking lot today at lunch and after work, my X3 was glistening in the sun! That grill looks rediculous. Greatest 30 minutes I ever spent working on my X3.

Woody
06-14-2005, 03:38 PM
I hear ya...The parts guy suggested wider tires for the rear also. However, he noted that I should keep my regular 17s for the winter.

I can't go there right now....wife would kill me if I spent anymore after the AV upgrade. So, I'll keep admiring yours...

Yes, I did look at your post & saw your awesome rolling entertainment center :D if my 10 mo old son saw this he would be in heaven :angel: He could watch Dora the explorer 24-7!

Thanks, Troy.

tromar1
06-14-2005, 07:55 PM
It was great walking to the parking lot today at lunch and after work, my X3 was glistening in the sun! That grill looks rediculous. Greatest 30 minutes I ever spent working on my X3.
Ditto!

tromar1
06-14-2005, 08:01 PM
Yes, I did look at your post & saw your awesome rolling entertainment center :D if my 10 mo old son saw this he would be in heaven :angel: He could watch Dora the explorer 24-7!

Thanks, Troy.
Woody:

My 2 yr old daughter actually says "Baby Bach" every time we go in the car. So I play that for her while my son watches his own movie and/or plays a video game. I have been experiencing bliss ever since the install.

Steveo8998
06-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Hey so i was thinking, and after you found out that the grills were chrome all along... Do you think for the 3.0 the side window trim is also chrome underneath!?!?! that would be something!! i would deffinantly take that black plasic off too if it was chrome. I would try it, but my car is still being built and i dont have it yet, to play with.

ring909
06-15-2005, 09:44 PM
Troy,
I noticed the nice hood deflector on your X3. Can I find out where you got it from as I am looking for one for my X3. Thanks.

tromar1
06-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Troy,
I noticed the nice hood deflector on your X3. Can I find out where you got it from as I am looking for one for my X3. Thanks.Ron:
It is my pleasure sharing. I ordered it from my dealership. It was in the X3 Original BMW SAV Accessories booklet. Part#: 82 11 0 306 543. $75. It was really easy to install myself. Your are right...it's hot.

Woody
06-16-2005, 07:01 AM
Hey so i was thinking, and after you found out that the grills were chrome all along... Do you think for the 3.0 the side window trim is also chrome underneath!?!?! that would be something!! i would deffinantly take that black plasic off too if it was chrome. I would try it, but my car is still being built and i dont have it yet, to play with.

Steveo,

Wishfull thinking. From my experience I don't think so.

Steveo8998
06-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Haha dang, oh well. The chrome grill is fine with me though. :thumbup:

Xcube
06-16-2005, 02:08 PM
LOL! How cool is that!? You just made a ton of people happy. U-DA-MAN!
I'm one of them! Thanks a lot for sharing! :thumbup:

Woody
06-16-2005, 03:18 PM
I'm one of them! Thanks a lot for sharing! :thumbup:

No problem. Us SAV guys/gals need to stick together-we are a different breed.

tromar1
06-16-2005, 03:24 PM
Listen Guys / Gals...

:mad:I wanted to be unique with the chrome grill...but i guess that's not going to happen...just kidding.

Someone actually noticed mine today (I was surprized) and noted how much better it looks.

Woody...the person who notice mine didn't reference the fact that the "the spacing in the grill slats is now too far apart.":rolleyes:

Woody
06-16-2005, 03:29 PM
"I wanted to be unique with the chrome grill...but i guess that's not going to happen...just kidding"

Troy, next time I will PM you & then we will decide who is cool enough to share are secret mods with :rofl: LOL. Just kidding.

tromar1
06-16-2005, 03:37 PM
"I wanted to be unique with the chrome grill...but i guess that's not going to happen...just kidding"

Troy, next time I will PM you & then we will decide who is cool enough to share are secret mods with :rofl: LOL. Just kidding.
Wood...I like that idea...don't kid.

P.S. I looked at some 19" rims today but had to walk away with my tail between my legs.

Woody
06-16-2005, 03:42 PM
P.S. I looked at some 19" rims today but had to walk away with my tail between my legs."

I know, after the wheels the wifey was like "that is your birthday & fathers day gift & maybe some other holidays worth of gifts!".

The family comes first. At least we can all drool on this site together! (Don't be sick people)

canadianbattery
06-18-2005, 10:33 PM
Thanks Woody, I did my chrome grill today too, took me two solid hours, lucky didnt break anything but fingers are hurt. The things are pretty tight.
My X3 is silver, posted some before after pic here too.. I think this chrome thing looks really cool.. for those who think the gap is too wide in between, can just take out the kidney and paint the black insert with whatever color you want.
Woody finding is ROCK.

tromar1
06-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Went to the Jersey Shore today and passed a couple of X3s. Saw them looking....I pulled up behind them first, then flew by.

It's the grill.....just the grill.

closer2pin
06-18-2005, 11:10 PM
Don't the "holes" in the grill, besides the slats being spaced apart look weird and cheesy?
I think so... Normal grills don't have holes. :thumbdwn:

sfca-325i
06-19-2005, 12:12 AM
Don't the "holes" in the grill, besides the slats being spaced apart look weird and cheesy?

For a free mod, I'll put up with the fact that the chrome slats were not intended to see the light of day. Thanks Woody.

canadianbattery
06-19-2005, 02:08 AM

I was thinking to take off the black insert and paint them chrome-like but once I put the kidney back.. it looks good enough for me. I will still paint the insert and place it back to the car.. will post some more pic and see how it turns out.

mguhler
06-19-2005, 05:49 AM
it looks hot no matter how you look at it. You forget the holes are there after about 10 minutes. And if any additional space between the grills is bothering you, take the extra steps to clean, prime and paint the inserts. If you have the extra time, best of luck to you.

Canadian, sorry it took so long, but it was worth it huh? :bigpimp:

tromar1
06-19-2005, 09:25 AM
Answer: NO!

When initially saw the holes I had reservations about them. However, that was because I was unable to loosen attachments to that which I believed to be the norm. However, I have always embarked on a journey that gives me the willingness to engage in a search for my own answers.

Personally, the width of the slats and the holes, I believe, are unique. Those anomolies are overshadowed by the resulting look. Different strokes for different folks.

canadianbattery
06-20-2005, 12:28 AM
it looks hot no matter how you look at it. You forget the holes are there after about 10 minutes. And if any additional space between the grills is bothering you, take the extra steps to clean, prime and paint the inserts. If you have the extra time, best of luck to you.

Canadian, sorry it took so long, but it was worth it huh? :bigpimp:

YES!! The hour is nothing now. The chrome is very shinny not only under the sunlight but also in the dark. My car looks more expensive now.... :D Especially the Woody chrome kidney is really really rare in Toronto here.

M-PIRE
06-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Man, I love this board. Tips like this keep me coming back. Thanks so much. i saw this at 4:30 yesterday afternoon and by 7pm I had my chrome grill complete. It took me about 45 minutes start to finish. It looks great. The holes in the chrome piece are a little odd, but you really don't notice them from a distance.

Here's pics of mine. Thanks again for this great tip!!! :thumbup:

M-PIRE
06-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Looks really good in the sunshine today too...

tromar1
06-23-2005, 04:21 PM
Looks really good in the sunshine today too...
I agree...

wingrove
08-06-2005, 06:03 PM
I know its probably damn simple but maybe someone should post some step by step piccys of the procedure?

ryanviola
08-07-2005, 01:31 PM
nice ride wat u think of mine?
19in chrom rvm rims
h & R springs front 1.8 rear 1.8
flowmaster catback exhuast systems
K & N intakes system
2 12in rockford HE2

canadianbattery
08-07-2005, 02:11 PM
19in chrom rvm rims
K & N intakes system
2 12in rockford HE2

Awsome.

tromar1
08-07-2005, 06:44 PM
19in chrom rvm rims
K & N intakes system
2 12in rockford HE2
Looks good! Have you changed your head unit yet? Based on your other posts I would have assumed that is something you would be interested in doing. Do your really like the Blue Nissan you previously posted better than the X3?

I just finally hard wired my radar detector. My wish list is 19" Black Rims with wider tires in the rear.

Tdrag97
10-29-2005, 07:42 AM
K&N air kits? what is the part number.. I'm looking for a good kit and not just a filter replacement....

SilverX3
10-30-2005, 12:41 AM
same here what's the part no

TX

Woody
10-31-2005, 09:14 AM
19in chrom rvm rims
K & N intakes system
2 12in rockford HE2

Ryan,

Are you sure that your X3 is dropped 1.8 inches all around? It doesn't look it. You have a lot of fender gap. I didn't know H & R made anything lower than what I have. Please correct me if I am wrong. Is it possible to use springs from an E46 to drop the E83 lower? I was thinking about cutting my H & R's to go lower-I should have gotten 22's :mad: .

tromar1
11-19-2005, 05:21 PM
I was at the dealership today picking up the battery powered ride-on 6 Series for my Kid...(XMas and all)...and noticed a 2006 X3 for the first time. The interior looks exactly like my 2004.

However, the Kidney Grill was different. As opposed to the dull matted black that was the OEM (before changing to the "Woody Grill"), this new grill appeared glossy with a chrome center. It almost looked like onyx.

I got them and will be installing tonight...will post pics.

tromar1
11-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Here is a pic of the new kidney grill. Very different for first gen.

X3 of Miami
11-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Can Someone Please Explain The Step By Step Process Of How To Take Out The Grill?? Id Really Appreciate It.. Thanks Alot Cause Theres No Pictures Anymore And I Cant Really Tell How To Do It..

tromar1
11-21-2005, 07:22 PM
Can Someone Please Explain The Step By Step Process Of How To Take Out The Grill?? Id Really Appreciate It.. Thanks Alot Cause Theres No Pictures Anymore And I Cant Really Tell How To Do It..
The first page of this thread has directions provided by Woody. I have removed my grill twice and have broken tabs both times. The second time i didn't care because i wasn't putting the old one back in.

I don't know if there are step by step instructions, but page one has some instructions. Good luck.

X3 of Miami
11-23-2005, 11:36 AM
theres no directions or step by step instrurctiions=. there is only pictures.. can someone please explain?

tromar1
11-23-2005, 07:02 PM
theres no directions or step by step instrurctiions=. there is only pictures.. can someone please explain?
You have to pull the front top painted portion of the bumper cover that surounds the grills first (pull out away from radiator area (it won't pull all the way it will still be attached at the bottom portion) )& then you can see the tabs that go through that portion. Then use a small flat head screwdriver to press out the clips to remove the grills. Start at the top & work to the ends-pulling gently as you go-& then you can pull the grill straight out.

There are plastic tabs that attach the black part to the chrome part-press those out using a small flat head screwdriver too.

Thats it.