PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty honking my horn

Dave T
06-13-2005, 06:27 AM
When I honk the horn, it's usually to give two quick light taps to wave to a friend I pass in the street, get someone's attention inside when I'm picking someone up, or to wake up the guy in front of me who didn't notice the light turned green, etc, etc. I just give two quick taps with the heel of my hand for two very quick, not too loud beeps.

With my 04 545, I can't do this. The only way I can manage to honk the horn is to press down hard, which gives a much longer louder HOOONNNKKK than I want - it makes me sound mad when I'm just trying to get someone's attention. The tension seems too high on the spring in the steering wheel that keeps the horn from honking when you just touch it.

Is this just my car that's like this - could this be something that's adjustable? Or, is there some other horn-honking technique that works with my horn?

- Dave

CapeBimmer
06-14-2005, 08:31 AM
I agree, it takes too much pressure to honk the horn.

LmtdSlip
06-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Have you tried adjusting it with i-drive? :p

Dave T
06-14-2005, 10:05 AM
Have you tried adjusting it with i-drive? :p

You're kidding - right? I don't think there's a way to do that...

Uncle Fester
06-14-2005, 10:06 AM
You're kidding - right? I don't think there's a way to do that...
Did you know the word 'gullible' is not in any dictionary?

Dave T
06-14-2005, 10:30 AM
Yes - I thought it was a joke. It's a really funny one, too!

dbansal
06-14-2005, 10:57 AM
yeah its tight on my 06 too, gets annoying...

Ågent99
06-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Did you know the word 'gullible' is not in any dictionary?
It's not??!!! :wow: :yikes: Oh mygawd, o-mygawd....

TGray5
06-17-2005, 01:00 AM
hmm, this is an aftermarket parts business opportunity...softer springs for the horn button :)

I must give the horn a try tomorrow.

anlauf
06-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Just picked up my 530 via ED Monday...and I totally agree with the poor function of the horn....I love the functional switches on the wheel nice feel/feedback..too bad they forgot to get the ergo engineers on the horn.

Dave T
06-17-2005, 09:14 AM
Yes - it's funny how things like this slip through. You'd think they'd have some kind of focus group or something to get feedback on usability issues like this, but sometimes they end up having a feature that 99% of people don't like.

528i
06-17-2005, 10:34 AM
You know, it's not like anyone cares anyway. heh

I was behind some lady on a cell phone that came to a stop(!) at a green light, then proceeded to wait until the light cycled through again. I would have gone around her, but to her defense the other lane was stopped (turning left *wink*) and I was stuck behind her.

I honked to no avail :rofl:

Ågent99
06-17-2005, 02:33 PM
I honked to no avail :rofl:Did you really lean into the horn...with full force and your mind focused on stuffing the steering wheel roundel through the steering column?? No? :ouch:

Did you wave a fist around and yell obscenties in hopes she looks and can read lips and waving fists? No? :ouch:

Well, I would say that at the least, you needed to have pulsated the horn in a nice steady beat to the radio dreaming about how you wish:

(a) that a mega-laser blaster would rise up from the hood and blast her out of your way or

(b) that a POS bumper thing would suddenly unfold from under the car at the push of a dash button and then you could ram her and not scratch your car

:rofl:

Mr Paddle.Shift
06-20-2005, 12:21 AM
I don't own an E60 but have done an extensive R&D in the steering wheel area.

IIRC, the E60 models come with a two stage horn setup. There is the low-pitched and the high-pitched. Not sure if this is mentioned in the owner's manual though. But if you have to press down hard, what you heard is very likely yhe high-pitched horn.

Perhaps a blown fuse for the low-pitched horn?

When I honk the horn, it's usually to give two quick light taps to wave to a friend I pass in the street, get someone's attention inside when I'm picking someone up, or to wake up the guy in front of me who didn't notice the light turned green, etc, etc. I just give two quick taps with the heel of my hand for two very quick, not too loud beeps.

With my 04 545, I can't do this. The only way I can manage to honk the horn is to press down hard, which gives a much longer louder HOOONNNKKK than I want - it makes me sound mad when I'm just trying to get someone's attention. The tension seems too high on the spring in the steering wheel that keeps the horn from honking when you just touch it.

Is this just my car that's like this - could this be something that's adjustable? Or, is there some other horn-honking technique that works with my horn?

- Dave

Dave T
06-20-2005, 04:44 AM
?? - but everyone else seems to have the same problem. Does anyone have two pitches with their horn?

anlauf
06-26-2005, 02:23 PM
I am taking my car to the Munich repair location tomorrow for some door repairs before it gets shipped back to CA...I'll see what I can find out.

EuroRocket
06-27-2005, 10:06 PM
interesting! high and low pitch functions dont really have to do with the fuse, cause its all i the same circuit.

Dave T
06-28-2005, 06:03 AM
I am taking my car to the Munich repair location tomorrow for some door repairs before it gets shipped back to CA...I'll see what I can find out.

Anlauf - did you find anything out?

anlauf
07-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Sorry I have been in Sweden out of internet contact. The very GERMAN service advisor who helped me with my ED door dings from Italy informed me that this horn deal was a feature, not a problem. It prevents us from acitvating the horn now that we have all those wonderful buttions to play with on the wheel. I remain half GERMAN half Slovak and am not buying it.