PDA

View Full Version : nav retrofit coding

cambie
06-14-2005, 05:38 PM
i finally took my car in to have the nav retrofit job i did coded in the computer. I took the instructions in and the dealer did this for me for 45 bucks. How can i tell whether or not they actually did it though? I don't get the nag screen, which i thought i would after it was coded.

Terry Kennedy
06-14-2005, 07:05 PM
i finally took my car in to have the nav retrofit job i did coded in the computer. I took the instructions in and the dealer did this for me for 45 bucks. How can i tell whether or not they actually did it though? I don't get the nag screen, which i thought i would after it was coded.Go into the service menu and see if the computer is coded w/ the last 7 characters of your VIN. As I recall, it is in the "Telematics" screen.

Technic
06-15-2005, 07:22 AM
i finally took my car in to have the nav retrofit job i did coded in the computer. I took the instructions in and the dealer did this for me for 45 bucks. How can i tell whether or not they actually did it though? I don't get the nag screen, which i thought i would after it was coded.

If the coding included getting the Nav to be in the USA region you should have the "Accept" screen... :confused:

cambie
06-15-2005, 09:12 PM
If the coding included getting the Nav to be in the USA region you should have the "Accept" screen... :confused:
that's what i thought. i just gave them those instructions like you had told me, and they said they got it done for me. what should i do now?

Bob Clevenger
06-16-2005, 12:32 AM
that's what i thought. i just gave them those instructions like you had told me, and they said they got it done for me. what should i do now? That depends. Do you WANT the nag screen? Does having short distances display in yards rather than feet bother you? Mine is still on UK mode (no nag screen; yards rather than feet) and I really like it that way.

Technic
06-16-2005, 07:23 AM
that's what i thought. i just gave them those instructions like you had told me, and they said they got it done for me. what should i do now?

Check first for what Terry Kennedy wrote above, you should have the last 7 digits of your VIN number recorded in one of the screens of the Nav Service Menu (don't remember which menu screen, though). That is the only way for you to know if the dealer actually did the correct coding because IMO not having the "Accept" screen only tells you that the Nav is not in the USA region, not necessarily that the dealer did not perform some coding to add your Nav to the feature list of the car.

From what I got from my dealer when I requested the Nav coding, adding the Nav to the feature list -by showing the VIN number and integrating the Assist buttons to the Nav screen in my case- and having the "Accept" screen is what I would consider coding the Nav retrofit.

Sometimes you have to be extremely specific and insistent with SAs as you try to explain what you really want done in your car. Maybe, just maybe what your dealer did was to code your Nav with the latest firmware (V25) and called it a day... :confused:

cambie
06-17-2005, 08:12 AM
Sometimes you have to be extremely specific and insistent with SAs as you try to explain what you really want done in your car. Maybe, just maybe what your dealer did was to code your Nav with the latest firmware (V25) and called it a day... :confused:
if that's what they actually did, i'm going to kill them. especially since it was already at v25. i wouldn't think it would have taken them 30 minutes (which is what they charge me for) for the computer to tell them "already at the latest firmware level".

anyway, i have not had a chance to put my nav in service mode yet and check for my VIN. I'll do that this evening and see what it says. I was afraid i needed to be specific, but unfortunately i didn't have a clue what to specificaly tell them. especially since they weren't real pleased with me doing this myself to my car.

ketchup
06-19-2005, 10:04 PM
they weren't real pleased with me doing this myself to my car.
:rofl: