PDA

View Full Version : K&N Air Filter.

ICEBERG
06-15-2005, 09:38 AM
Does anyone know if they make one for the X3?

Thank's

Rick480
06-15-2005, 11:03 AM
Yes, they have a filter for the X3. I have had one for several months. I don't remember the number right off hand, but you can find it on the K&N website.

Rob V
06-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Did it make much of a difference in performance or fuel efficiency?

Rick480
06-15-2005, 02:35 PM
I don't drive a consistant enough route to be able to compare fuel economy. Wind and load seem to have the most influence. I don't really know about performance either. I would say it would be pretty hard to notice.

peoe2
06-15-2005, 08:29 PM
I got one as a gift and used it for about 200 miles. It does make a noticeable difference in engine response and the overall noise of the engine is different. I preferred the "original" noise so switched back to the stock air filter.

I still have the K&N filter. If you want it send me a private message.

tromar1
06-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Please forgive my ignorance...what is a K&N filter? Anything that enhances fuel economy and response is of interest to me.

My only caveat is peoe2's response regarding the overall noise being different. Is the noise louder? I originally had the stock exhaust and then got the sport exhaust and was disappointed with the increased roar. I kinda like it quiet.

Woody
06-16-2005, 05:58 AM
Hey Troy,

Do you still have the sport exhaust or did you take it off & sell it already? I may be interested if you still have it. ??

A K&N filter is a brand of engine air filter. There are 2 types. I am assuming Iceburg is speaking of the "drop in" type that replaces the OEM one. The other is what I have which is a "cone" type in which you remove the whole stock air filter box & plum the filter right off the air flow meter-with this type you get a lot of increased noise. The K & N brand filters are cleanable & reusable (lifetime).

peoe2
06-16-2005, 07:18 AM
The one that I have is the one that simply replaces the stock air filter itself, no need to remove or change the air filter housing or anything.

As for the noise, it's not actually louder, it's just different. With the K&N air filter, the noise is a bit more acute, not louder just more acute like the noise made when the engine goes to high rpms with a stock air filter except that it happens at lower rpms with the K&N.

Rick480
06-16-2005, 09:41 AM
How could a air filter possibly make a difference in the sound an engine makes? You could take the filter out all together and I doubt you could notice any humanly perceptable difference in performance or sound. The K&N filter certainly had no big effects on mine.

Rob V
06-16-2005, 09:45 AM
I assume that a K&N filter allows more air to reach the engine, which means a larger (louder) combustion....wouldn't it? :dunno:

tromar1
06-16-2005, 02:10 PM
Hey Troy,

Do you still have the sport exhaust or did you take it off & sell it already? I may be interested if you still have it. ??

A K&N filter is a brand of engine air filter. There are 2 types. I am assuming Iceburg is speaking of the "drop in" type that replaces the OEM one. The other is what I have which is a "cone" type in which you remove the whole stock air filter box & plum the filter right off the air flow meter-with this type you get a lot of increased noise. The K & N brand filters are cleanable & reusable (lifetime).Sorry Woody,

It's still on the X. I didn't take it off. Initially, I wasn't use to the racing beefed up sound and was almost sorry I changed the stock exhaust. However, it has been almost a year and I have (somewhat) gotten use to the sound.

At first, I thought it sounded too much like the kids that drove Dodge Neon or other crappy cars with the fancy loud mufflers. It wasn't that loud to begin with, but I was so use to the quiet that it was noticable.

Sorry man...I would have only charged you shipping & handling.

Thanks to all who assisted with the filter responses...What do you all think...should I do it?

judybe83
06-16-2005, 06:28 PM
jb asked me to get the part # for u

part # 33-2231

here's a link to K&N's site http://www.knfilters.com/default.htm

pep boyz, auto zone etc. either have it or can get it pretty quick

ab

tromar1
06-16-2005, 07:08 PM
jb asked me to get the part # for u

part # 33-2231

here's a link to K&N's site http://www.knfilters.com/default.htm

pep boyz, auto zone etc. either have it or can get it pretty quick

ab
Molto grazie!!

peoe2
06-16-2005, 09:48 PM
How could a air filter possibly make a difference in the sound an engine makes?

I don't pretend to know the "how". I simply noticed a change in noise.
Others on the web have also reported a change in noise using K&N filters with various brands of cars.

adc
06-20-2005, 12:29 PM
How could a air filter possibly make a difference in the sound an engine makes? You could take the filter out all together and I doubt you could notice any humanly perceptable difference in performance or sound. The K&N filter certainly had no big effects on mine.

I don't have any direct experience with the drop-in type.

But the K&N cone filter I put on my 330 makes a much bigger - and different - noise. It's literally impossible to not hear the difference. :dunno:

I believe in general the size, shape and length of the intake tract alter the sound characteristics of an engine. I read it in numerous places and it did seem to be verified by my experience with cone filters.

adc
03 330 ZHP

mguhler
06-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Are the instructions that come with it ample? Or are there other instructions needed?

judybe83
06-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Are the instructions that come with it ample? Or are there other instructions needed?

if you got the drop in filter that we did the instruction are for the 3 series, the X3 is much easer

here's the order i used

start with step 5, there are 4 clips holding the the lid to the air box

then step 2 but you don't have to remove the fresh air duct from the vehicle

step 6 is next, i didn't remove the lid from the mass air sensor just tilt it back so you can see where the " self adhering gasket " goes

then steps 7 and 8

be careful with steps 9 and 10

i found it easer to hook up the fresh air duct then reinstall the lid on the air box

:thumbup:

mguhler
06-22-2005, 04:13 AM
I did it yesterday after work, took me all of 5 minutes. That hosein the back was the last thing I connected, it took a little convincing to go back on. The o-ring was a bit of a pain...

Thanks