PDA

View Full Version : ipod question

Chagahan
06-18-2005, 07:31 PM
I am planning to have ipod adapter on my 05 330ci with nav.
I will keep it glove compartmnet.

Questions
will it start automatically like cd when I start the car ?
DO I need to turn it from its power button everytime I start the car or will it be ready and I can start it just pressing the mode button on my nav ?

sndamssg
06-18-2005, 07:36 PM
It works just like the CD player. It will pick up right where it left off and it will NOT need to be turned on when you get into the car. I've had mine in the glovebox for the last two months and haven't needed to touch it yet. Now...if only the head unit would display song titles...

Chagahan
06-18-2005, 08:06 PM
It works just like the CD player. It will pick up right where it left off and it will NOT need to be turned on when you get into the car. I've had mine in the glovebox for the last two months and haven't needed to touch it yet. Now...if only the head unit would display song titles...
up to now it seems great :) . How do you charge it ?

jagoodie
06-20-2005, 11:59 AM
The iPod charges while it is plugged in the glovebox. This can be an issue if you are worried about killing your iPod battery, but that is another huge topic all together. It functions exactly like a CD changer, as stated above, only, when you take the iPod out, say into the gym, and plug it back in, it resets and does not remember what song you are listening to, or what playlist/disc you were on. Works great, I love it. I do have this issue from time to time where I am listening, and all of a sudden the stereo changes to radio, and I have to reconnect the iPod. Strange.

rkhavari
06-20-2005, 12:11 PM
I was recently debating whether to use the BMW version or the Dension Ice Link system to wire my ipod onto my ' 04 325i. After reading tons of reviews regarding the BMW version versus the Dension Ice Link system I decided to go with the Ice Link and have not had a problem since. The cradle fits neatly into the center console and wiring was simple. Additionally, you can have song titles displayed on the radio itself and all the steering wheel controls can be used too (a PLUS).

I've had great luck and haven't popped in a CD since the day of installation!!

Hope this helps,

rkhavari

jagoodie
06-20-2005, 12:19 PM
How much did the Ice Link run you? Did you have it professionally installed?
The BMW version also uses the steering wheel controls, but does not display song names.
The Ice Link also has the ability to customize the charging settings (to help save your iPod battery), as far as I know.

Hattori Hanzo
06-20-2005, 01:22 PM
The song title display is no problem for me since I know the songs. I love the access to over 3,000 songs without changing a CD! Its hard not being able to zip to a particular album though. I also find that the shuffle in the playlists are always the same. Is there anyway to reshuffle?

jagoodie
06-20-2005, 01:35 PM
Changing the songs on your iPod should reshuffle (add a few, take a few out). The shuffle isn't always the same, but yes, I agree, it seems to have some patterns. Another way is to skip to song 2, or 3, or 10, say, and then hit random.
Smart Playlists are the way to go to get to a particular album or artist.
I read an interesting tip of making an "Un/Underplayed Playlist" by making a Smart list of songs that have not been played, or only played once, and it updates live!

rkhavari
06-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Sorry for the delay regarding the Ice Link system, I got caught up in some stuff. I did install the system myself and it run me approximately $200 from Best Buy. Installation was easy, I simply drilled a couple holes in the center armrest and mounted the cradle for the Ice Link. I then ran the cable under the carpet and through the folding rear seats to the CD Changer connection in the trunk. The system immediately recognized the iPod and all I needed was a firmware upgrade through the Dension Ice Link website. It does have customized charging settings to protect your iPod battery as well. It can constantly charge, only charge when the vehicle is on, or charge for about 2 hours after the vehicle is turned off.

Overall, I have found the system very user friendly and reliable. Let me know if you have any other questions...I will check the forum regularly.

rkhavari

rkhavari
06-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Sorry for the delay regarding the Ice Link system, I got caught up in some stuff. I did install the system myself and it run me approximately $200 from Best Buy. Installation was easy, I simply drilled a couple holes in the center armrest and mounted the cradle for the Ice Link. I then ran the cable under the carpet and through the folding rear seats to the CD Changer connection in the trunk. The system immediately recognized the iPod and all I needed was a firmware upgrade through the Dension Ice Link website to have the song titles displayed. It does have customized charging settings to protect your iPod battery as well. It can constantly charge, only charge when the vehicle is on, or charge for about 2 hours after the vehicle is turned off.

Also, you can control the ipod through the steering wheel controls and the dash controls. Really, it offers all the same features teh BMW system does...however to me it has a cleaner installation since it actually docks in a cradle and doesn't just have a cable hanging out in the glove box. I believe the website is www.dension.com if you want some more info.

Overall, I have found the system very user friendly and reliable. Let me know if you have any other questions...I will check the forum regularly.

rkhavari

gordo325xiwagon
06-21-2005, 07:36 PM
The recently installed Ipod in my car (a 2001 325xit Business CD) will not automatically power off when ignition switched off.

Consequently, I either have to disconnect the ipod, which forces a restart from song number one in the playlist....or let the Ipod operate all night...and it will continue to play, without the car or the radio being turned on.

Dension is aware of this shortcoming, and says a fix will be incorporated into the next firmware update. However, they will not give me a date for the aforementioned update release. Furthermore, no temporary remedy is offered, other than to disconnect every time I shut off the ignition for more than a few minutes.

However, in spite of the continous play issue, the Ice Link is far better than the FM transmitter I was using before. Gordo

dallasfan824
06-23-2005, 01:53 PM
The recently installed Ipod in my car (a 2001 325xit Business CD) will not automatically power off when ignition switched off.

Consequently, I either have to disconnect the ipod, which forces a restart from song number one in the playlist....or let the Ipod operate all night...and it will continue to play, without the car or the radio being turned on.

Dension is aware of this shortcoming, and says a fix will be incorporated into the next firmware update. However, they will not give me a date for the aforementioned update release. Furthermore, no temporary remedy is offered, other than to disconnect every time I shut off the ignition for more than a few minutes.

However, in spite of the continous play issue, the Ice Link is far better than the FM transmitter I was using before. Gordo
Mine does the same thing. But I always disconnect it when I am not in the car, so it was never a problem. But mine does stop where I left off and pick up again when I connect.

Hattori Hanzo
06-26-2005, 02:27 AM
The iPod turns off if you place it on hold and pause.

Just checked mine in the glove box and it was off.

Jackflash
06-27-2005, 09:55 PM
The iPod charges while it is plugged in the glovebox. This can be an issue if you are worried about killing your iPod battery, but that is another huge topic all together. It functions exactly like a CD changer, as stated above, only, when you take the iPod out, say into the gym, and plug it back in, it resets and does not remember what song you are listening to, or what playlist/disc you were on. Works great, I love it. I do have this issue from time to time where I am listening, and all of a sudden the stereo changes to radio, and I have to reconnect the iPod. Strange.

Apparently this is an issue with certain BMW head (Becker units(?)) - talk to Tom at Dension, who has a beta firmware - I have just installed it but not tested it (car was hit by dear - only 3 months old :cry: less that 4000 miles :cry: :cry: ) as have only just car back from the body shop......

LauderdaleBMW
06-28-2005, 06:36 PM
I'm picking up my 330ci 2005 convertible w/ Nav on Monday in Munich -- and I have not received any straight answers regarding the IPOD. Will it work with the car? Do I need to bring any additional components with me??? THanks.

Technic
06-28-2005, 10:12 PM
I am planning to have ipod adapter on my 05 330ci with nav.
I will keep it glove compartmnet.

Questions
will it start automatically like cd when I start the car ?
DO I need to turn it from its power button everytime I start the car or will it be ready and I can start it just pressing the mode button on my nav ?

The OEM iPod adapter is not compatible with Nav. Your only route is the ice>Link... :eeps: