PDA

View Full Version : A few issues with my M3 Coupe. Anyone else with something similiar, or tips?

eluder
06-19-2005, 03:52 PM
I started hearing an noise on my 05 M3 coupe this morning and I'm going to take it in this week I hope. Basically, it seem that around 3900-4100 RPMs, there's a rattle. It's like a metalic "buzzing" sound. It happened in the 2 gears I tried, 1st and 2nd. It's generally reproducable.

The next issue is what sounds like the window cracking when I roll the driver side front window up. Little brief "pops". Once or twice when going from full down to full up. It doesn't happen every time, but about 90% of it.

The last is a "pinging" in the rear end when manuevering over something that flexes the chassis. This very well may be normal, but my 330 didn't do it, so I thought I'd ask. The noise is definately coming from the rear end and sounds like someone flicking the tire with their finger. It doesn't really sound metallic, though I could be wrong. It seems to only happen in the morning or after the car hasn't moved in a bit. Speed seems to play no role in occurence.

I'm most concerned about the first one, but would appreciate any comments regarding anything. Thanks a lot.

RChoudry
06-19-2005, 03:59 PM
maybe the catalytic converter cover. easy fix. the others I can't say.

eluder
06-19-2005, 04:00 PM
maybe the catalytic converter cover. easy fix. the others I can't say.

Thanks for the quick reply. Is this common enough he'll know what it is? I'm afraid I'll get there and be unable to reproduce it and end up looking like an ass.

Technic
06-19-2005, 07:48 PM
I started hearing an noise on my 05 M3 coupe this morning and I'm going to take it in this week I hope. Basically, it seem that around 3900-4100 RPMs, there's a rattle. It's like a metalic "buzzing" sound. It happened in the 2 gears I tried, 1st and 2nd. It's generally reproducable.

I'm most concerned about the first one, but would appreciate any comments regarding anything. Thanks a lot.

... isn't that sound the "rasp"? :confused:

eluder
06-19-2005, 08:22 PM
... isn't that sound the "rasp"? :confused:

I don't think so. I definately know the "rasp" at least I think I do. This sounds like a rattle as it's a new noise.

bdb
06-20-2005, 12:53 PM
The last is a "pinging" in the rear end when manuevering over something that flexes the chassis. This very well may be normal, but my 330 didn't do it, so I thought I'd ask. The noise is definately coming from the rear end and sounds like someone flicking the tire with their finger. It doesn't really sound metallic, though I could be wrong. It seems to only happen in the morning or after the car hasn't moved in a bit. Speed seems to play no role in occurence.

I have what appears to be a clunk or something which seems like it comes from the rear parcel tray at what you said, any speed and when the terrain changes, I never really notice it as I have music on, but my parents are visiting, and my mom loves to point out things like that.

sky
06-20-2005, 01:26 PM
The next issue is what sounds like the window cracking when I roll the driver side front window up. Little brief "pops". Once or twice when going from full down to full up. It doesn't happen every time, but about 90% of it.

That happened to me also...It could be a window regulator bolt that is working
its way loose. Check out this post: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67161

Riuster
07-08-2005, 11:34 AM

sounds like your syncrhos from your tranny.

well then your window motor has issues.

do you have OEM stock wheels, what about brake pads, how about the shock mounts?

Tranny.

eluder
07-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Car is 100% stock.

e36M3r
07-11-2005, 07:09 PM

I have it too... on occasion, only when cold.

eluder
07-12-2005, 12:40 PM
I have it too... on occasion, only when cold.

Interesting. It seems to have disappeared now. I'll keep an ear on it.

e36M3r
07-12-2005, 09:52 PM
That noise I'm not worried about... just figured it was a sign it's not warmed up yet. Seemed like something from the exhaust.

I'm not at all pleased with a minor rubbing sound from the differential when going very slow and making sharp left turns and somewhat on right hand turns also.

I'll say one thing, the e46 certainly makes much more noise in almost every way then the e36.

atomicdoc
07-17-2005, 08:18 AM
the famous clunk is what i took my '05 in twice to my SA for. i had to drive the chief mechanic around to reproduce the sound and they replaced both my rear shock mounts. someone on the m3forum also had this problem and he said the spring weren't "seated(?)"
properly.
anyways good luck with yours
George