PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio

dacostad
06-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Guy's I need some advice. I have a new M3 Coupe on order with Navigation and I am being told by my SA that they cannot fit satellite radio when they receive the car as there is no prep in the car for satellite.

This was not my understanding, can anybody verify what they are saying is true?

Additionally they want $995 including fitting to add bluetooth and $525 for the alarm, both of which sound very high.

Thanks

operknockity
06-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Don't know much about the Sat vs Nav issue, but the price they quoted for the alarm is pretty much the going rate for a dealer installed alarm. You can buy the alarm kit from the parts department for something like $200 (give or take) and install it yourself or have an independent mechanic install it for you for only a few more $$$. However, you'll then have to have the stealer's service department activate it for you, and depending on the stealer and your relationship with them, it can run anywhere from free (very unlikely) or $50 to $200.

The (small) advantage to having the stealer do it before you pick up the car is that the alarm becomes part of the original invoice and thus coverred under the car's maintenance/warranty plans instead of as an aftermarket add-on.

SofaKing
06-21-2005, 12:51 PM
On my 04 M3 with nav i had Sat installed from the dealer and it is a menu option on the nav system just like AM FM. (550.00 with labor and parts) but if you get sat with the nav they cannot put in the IPOD. They only have one connecting slot they said, so you could do an IPOD with no SAT. BE CAREFULL NOT TO LEAVE YOU VALET KEY IN YOUR CAR.

LMC
06-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Additionally they want ... $525 for the alarm

I think most dealers charge 500-600 for the alarm installed. The list price of the alarm part is $300. You can buy it for as little as $230ish on the internet and install it yourself in an hour or two, but then you have to take it to the dealer to have it activated -- which takes just a minute or two, but typically will cost you 0.5 hour to 1 hour labor. My math is rusty, but I think you call this "rounding up." :)

Technic
06-21-2005, 03:31 PM
Guy's I need some advice. I have a new M3 Coupe on order with Navigation and I am being told by my SA that they cannot fit satellite radio when they receive the car as there is no prep in the car for satellite.

Additionally they want $995 including fitting to add bluetooth and $525 for the alarm, both of which sound very high.

Thanks

This is the installation document for the Sirius Tuner: http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/sirius_install_instructions.pdf

... you can install it yourself, no need of a "sat prep". That is what I did in my 2004 M3 Coupe with Nav. Your car is identical to mine, nothing have changed in the Sirius tuner and compatibility. Cost is around $350.00 for the complete kit for navigation equipped E46's.

An OEM Bluetooth ULF module costs around $450-$500 and it is plug 'n play. These are the installation instructions: http://golilm.com/DIY/Bluetooth/

The OEM alarm cost around $230.00 and can be installed by yourself. It has to be taken to the dealer for programming which, depending of your relationship with them, the cost to perform it can be from $0 to some $70.00 depending of the hour rate. I paid $0 for programming and installed it myself.

Enjoy your M3! :thumbup:

dacostad
06-21-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks Technic, that is what I thought. It's kind of scary that the dealer can give such bum advice.

16hr Day
06-21-2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks Technic, that is what I thought. It's kind of scary that the dealer can give such bum advice.

You will find that most dealers don't have a clue as to what they are talking about. To most of them it's just a job. It starts when you first look at the car. I knew more about the M3 I was test driving than the salesmen who was trying to sell it to me. You will find this problem at most dealers for most cars. Stick to the boards, stay out of the dealers!! :thumbup:

dacostad
06-28-2005, 08:00 AM
Well, I gave up trying to convince my dealer that you can retro-fit the Sirius radio and the car does not need any factory prep.

I have ordered the bits from Circle BMW and I am going to have my detailer/ customizer, Technik1 fit it along with a bunch of other mods. Gus at Technik1 is going to modify the satellite antenna and conceal it in on the rear deck so it will not be visible.

They are also going to do the following;

1. Full wrapped 3M clear bra instal which will include bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, front arch and full rear bumper
2. Stealth install of my Valentine One radar which will include having the display built into rearview mirror, and totally hiding the unit itself. (all you see is the on/off/volume knob on the center console.
3. Front and rear lidar (with display also in the mirror)
4. Instal Dension ice>link
5. install key hole cover and painted reflectors.

I will post some picture once it is all done in a few weeks time.

Superman07
06-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Sorry to drag this one back from the dead, but here's the situation.

I recently purchased an '03 with Nav and am looking to install the OEM Sirius kit. I currently have a standalone Sirius module in my regular car and was hoping the OEM module has the same features:

1) Song Alerts and autotune - ability to bookmark songs you like and push the "select" button when you are alerted, which in turn takes you to that channel immediately.

2) Similar features, but for traffic and weather for the cities that are available

3) Any other noteworthy features as some of their individual radios have different features.

Feedback is much appreciated.

Will be very upset if these common features on a $120 kit (with antenna) form the local electronics store are not available on a $400 oem kit for a BMW.

TIA. :thumbup:

rruiter
06-07-2006, 10:31 AM

Thanks

You can buy the Bluetooth module for a little over 500 and install it yourself. The car is pre-wired for it already. All you have to do is remove some trim, plug it in, and put the trim back in. Very very easy. The link to the install that someone provided says you need to remove two wires fomr the plug, You mostl liekly don't need to do that. I didn't have to do that on my 04 with the latest bluetooth module. Make sure you get the latest bluetooth module, there are several ones being sold online, the older ones don't work very well, the newer ones work VERY well.

tom @ eas
06-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Sorry to drag this one back from the dead, but here's the situation.

I recently purchased an '03 with Nav and am looking to install the OEM Sirius kit. I currently have a standalone Sirius module in my regular car and was hoping the OEM module has the same features:

1) Song Alerts and autotune - ability to bookmark songs you like and push the "select" button when you are alerted, which in turn takes you to that channel immediately.

Are you referring to channel presets? The BMW kit offers this.

2) Similar features, but for traffic and weather for the cities that are available

See above.

3) Any other noteworthy features as some of their individual radios have different features.

NAV-specific Sirius is slightly different than the Business CD models. The NAV-specific kits offer group by Genre as well as full information display and steering wheel control. Also the kit is 100% compatible with your stock CD Changer or ice>Link/DICE iPod integration kit.

We offer the Sirius retrofit kits as well, usually in stock:

Sirius Satellite Radio - e46 3-series/M3 Coupe
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=13&products_id=272

Superman07
06-07-2006, 04:06 PM
No, not channel presents (which I would expect at the very least).

Let's say I really U2's Vertigo and it's on channel 26 one day. I currently have the ability to say preset that song.

Later: I'm listening to Howard on channel 100 and I get an alert popup stating U2 - Vertigo. I hit the select button and am automatically taken to channel ___ where Vertigo is the next song.

Likewise, I can preset the unti to say I'm in {fill} major city, and then I have the ability to hit the traffic button. When the traffic report for my area is about to be broadcast the radio will automatically tune to that particular taffic/weather channel without prompting me.

tom @ eas
06-07-2006, 04:14 PM
No, not channel presents (which I would expect at the very least).

Let's say I really U2's Vertigo and it's on channel 26 one day. I currently have the ability to say preset that song.

Later: I'm listening to Howard on channel 100 and I get an alert popup stating U2 - Vertigo. I hit the select button and am automatically taken to channel ___ where Vertigo is the next song.

Likewise, I can preset the unti to say I'm in {fill} major city, and then I have the ability to hit the traffic button. When the traffic report for my area is about to be broadcast the radio will automatically tune to that particular taffic/weather channel without prompting me.

Unfortunately, these features you are describing are specific to your handheld device - the BMW kit does not offer this.

Superman07
06-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Wow. I'm just floored by that. I can't believe something that cost $300 more, has fewer features.

Guess I'm going to have to try and figure out an alternative as I'm not sure I want to give up those features. Really hard though, since I didn't want any stuff floating around the car.

Chipster
06-09-2006, 03:13 PM
... you can install it yourself, no need of a "sat prep". That is what I did in my 2004 M3 Coupe with Nav. Your car is identical to mine, nothing have changed in the Sirius tuner and compatibility. Cost is around $350.00 for the complete kit for navigation equipped E46's.

Enjoy your M3! :thumbup:

Guys, I hate to be the one to bear the bad news but something has changed on the '06 M3s with Nav. They have changed the Sirrius unit or the Nav unit, but apparently they are NOT compatible.

My car is an April 06 build, I took delivery May 25th. The dealer spent a day trying to figure out how to install the Sirrius receiver and came to the conclusion that the adapter has changed and they don't know if there is a new adapter. I went on vacation for 2 weeks and returned to the dealer on June 6th to find out they still don't know if the adapter exists or not.

So in any previous year M3 the Sirrius will work with Nav, any build after April looks like it won't. The dealer themselves admitted they knew nothing about the change and never received a TSB on it.

Can anyone build on this statement?

Chip

tom @ eas
06-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Guys, I hate to be the one to bear the bad news but something has changed on the '06 M3s with Nav. They have changed the Sirrius unit or the Nav unit, but apparently they are NOT compatible.

My car is an April 06 build, I took delivery May 25th. The dealer spent a day trying to figure out how to install the Sirrius receiver and came to the conclusion that the adapter has changed and they don't know if there is a new adapter. I went on vacation for 2 weeks and returned to the dealer on June 6th to find out they still don't know if the adapter exists or not.

So in any previous year M3 the Sirrius will work with Nav, any build after April looks like it won't. The dealer themselves admitted they knew nothing about the change and never received a TSB on it.

Can anyone build on this statement?

Chip

Chip,

We've sold Sirius kits to many owners with 06 models and have never heard of this. What dealer were you working with?

Chipster
06-09-2006, 03:21 PM
We offer the Sirius retrofit kits as well, usually in stock:

Tom,

I too am in Orange County and if you want to check out the connector on my '06 to see if it's changed I'd be happy to get together.

Chip

tom @ eas
06-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Tom,

I too am in Orange County and if you want to check out the connector on my '06 to see if it's changed I'd be happy to get together.

Chip

The connectors are merely CD Changer connectors - they have not changed since 1995. We can install the Sirius kit if you would like, feel free to contact me directly to make an appointment.

Chipster
06-09-2006, 05:20 PM
The connectors are merely CD Changer connectors - they have not changed since 1995. We can install the Sirius kit if you would like, feel free to contact me directly to make an appointment.

Thanks Tom. Allegedly they have already installed the head end but could not make the cable fit. I have no idea what the head end looks like or where to find it.

I'll keep you posted.

Chip