PDA

View Full Version : Amplifier Problem?

jba_racing
06-24-2005, 09:31 PM
I just purchased a 1996 BMW 328i. I love it, but I have a serious problem. When I turn the power on to the head unit, it will play fine for an estimated 30 sec. - 1 min. depending on the interval it has been switched off. Then the sound will fade away as if you were slowly turning the volume button until there is no sound and the head unit stays on. Just no sound at all. You can wait a few seconds and turn the head unit back on and it will do the same thing. The head unit continues to stay on it never goes off or acts strange. I am thinking it sounds like an amplifier problem, but I have no clue why it would play fine for a week and then start acting like this. I forgot to mention that this car does have a Harmon Kardon system. I have checked all the fuses and it continues to give the same results. Any help would be apprecited. If this is the problem, does anyone know where I might find one of these amps resonably cheap used? Is there any alternative to having to chase down this hard to find amp?

jba_racing
06-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Now when I turn the head unit on I get nothing at all as far as sound. The head unit display lights up and works properly. After driving last night with the head unit on, I noticed something. I could hear a very light sound from the left door speaker. It was music, but I could only hear it very lightly. Can anyone please help?