PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Hitch for Bike Rack?

dcase
06-25-2005, 09:02 AM
Anybody know if there is an after market hitch available? Also, anybody aware of installing a hitch and any potential warranty problems? I can always get one custom made but would be nice to use an after market part. More concerned about warranty issues than anything I suppose.

TGray5
06-29-2005, 12:34 AM
Not sure about hitches, but I fold down the back seats and put my mountain bike inside. I'm also going to get the bmw roof rack for when I need to carry a friend's bike too. Have you considered the roof rack?

BC BMW Seller
05-10-2006, 06:51 AM
Also looking for hitch for client, any leads, suppliers known of?

bsinned
05-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Not sure about hitches, but I fold down the back seats and put my mountain bike inside. I'm also going to get the bmw roof rack for when I need to carry a friend's bike too. Have you considered the roof rack?

I just recently purchased the base support & cargo box.The wife and I took about a 1400 mile trip w/ it locked to the top.When I remove it I was very happy not to find even the slightest bit of marring to the clear coat. When you open your doors you will notice a embossed area for the base to lock into. IMO this a excellent accessory for your bimmer.:thumbup:

mbiela
12-28-2006, 08:01 AM
Brink makes the hitch for 530xiT, but you have to buy it in Europe and ship it yourself.
The dealer will not ship it to US.
I did buy myself trailer kit and will install it in the next month or so.
The cool thing is that it is invisible unless you are using it.
It easly detaches from the car, so if you don't use it you can't see it.

BC BMW Seller
12-28-2006, 10:49 AM
Hi there, I was hoping you might be able to supply a link if possible I have Googled etc. to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks........Dave

simplemind
12-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Hi there, I was hoping you might be able to supply a link if possible I have Googled etc. to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks........Dave

I looked at the factory hitch that is available in europe, but even that one doesn't avail itself to a receiver type connection. :bawling:

Let's keep this thread alive until we find a reasonable alternative!

Anyone ......HELP :freakdanc

BC BMW Seller
12-29-2006, 06:59 AM
I am going to have a local hitch company fabricate the hitch for non-towing purposes only. I.E. to take a bike carrier only. I have reviewed the vehicle and it appears to lend itself easily to the hitch application. Although the car is not rated for towing it should adapt easily. Would anybody else be interested in a reciever system for carring bikes as well? I will post results as they come in the new year.

simplemind
12-29-2006, 08:14 PM
I am going to have a local hitch company fabricate the hitch for non-towing purposes only. I.E. to take a bike carrier only. I have reviewed the vehicle and it appears to lend itself easily to the hitch application. Although the car is not rated for towing it should adapt easily. Would anybody else be interested in a reciever system for carring bikes as well? I will post results as they come in the new year.

If we could only get the drawings for the euro hitch shown here (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=24914&hl=towbar&st=15) designing the receiver portion would be relatively easy.

conden
10-20-2007, 06:11 AM
Putnam Hitch has the hitch. You can look them up @ putnamhitch.com & get phone no. & call for info.

RussellTom
10-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Curt Manufacturing makes one. The model number is 11498. But, it only mounts to the trunk pan. Because I was looking for one to bolt to the frame, I decided to do a Yakima mount instead.

simplemind
11-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Curt Manufacturing makes one. The model number is 11498. But, it only mounts to the trunk pan. Because I was looking for one to bolt to the frame, I decided to do a Yakima mount instead.

What Yak are you referring to? :dunno:

merklebob
11-13-2007, 09:27 AM
the trunk mounted units ona 3 series is good for 200 lbs hitch weight and 1000 pulling. they're not to hard to build. 4 bolts in the bottom and 2 up the bumper side.

jbehler
10-17-2008, 02:57 PM
the trunk mounted units ona 3 series is good for 200 lbs hitch weight and 1000 pulling. they're not to hard to build. 4 bolts in the bottom and 2 up the bumper side.

What do you have to drill through...is it the metal base of the trunk?