PDA

View Full Version : Pre 09/02 E46 Aux Input Kits

Shadyside
06-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Hi All,

This is a very informative forum and a great site. Glad to post my first message. I just had installed an XM Roady2, (using a Bracketron mount which looks fine) and hard wired for power. My plan was to install the aux input cable in the glovebox and have the wire lead out and plug into the back of the SAT receiver. The problem is that the aux cable would NOT plug and play and didn't register on the HU when the Mode button was pushed. Thus, no SAT input. Upon reading the aux input instructions more carefully, it stated that the cable was only for vehicles produced after 09/02. My 2002 was produced in 06/02. The aux input kit is part number 82 11 0 149 389 and my HU is SV 16-02-41. Does BMW make an aux input kit that is plug and play for MY 06/02 and prior? Does anybody know what the aux input kit;s part number is? Thanks in advance.

iversonm
06-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Blitzsafe makes an aux input adapter that "fools" you radio into thinking it's a CD changer.

It plugs into the wiring harness that is in your trunk, and then you have to snake a wire up to the center console. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have about the installation.

elserviola
06-26-2005, 01:43 PM
Yes, but what happens when you already have a CD changer and want to use it? Is there any solution that would allow me to add an aux input connector and also be able to use my CD changer? :dunno:

Thanks is advance. :)

Shadyside
06-26-2005, 02:10 PM
Thanks, but I don't want to go that route. I just want to have a workable Aux input on/near the dash for my XM radio or an MP3 player.

ObD
06-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Yes, but what happens when you already have a CD changer and want to use it? Is there any solution that would allow me to add an aux input connector and also be able to use my CD changer? :dunno:

Thanks is advance. :)

You can add an aftermarket CD changer with an aux input adapter which has both interfaces ... just not the BMW CD changer.

ObD
06-26-2005, 03:37 PM
Thanks, but I don't want to go that route. I just want to have a workable Aux input on/near the dash for my XM radio or an MP3 player.

Run an extension cable to the dash area. Not hard.

Shadyside
06-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Iversinm and OdB thanks for the help. The difference I am looking at is now between the direct hard wired approach, or using an FM modulator (NOT wireless). To go direct, I would have to buy the Blitzsafe and run an extention from the trunk to the dash, not hard, but there would be bucks and time involved. While I would like the extra, tiny bit of fidelity that could be noticed on the HK system, it doesn't seem worth the expense, the modulators apparently do a pretty good job, much better than wireless in any regard. Thanks again for your help. BTW: my AM radio sounds fine, so even with a TSB, out for replacing 2002 HUs, I can't make the claim for a new unit.

Shadyside
06-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Sorry I just got your names wrong! Iversonm and OdB!

Galun
06-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Iversinm and OdB thanks for the help. The difference I am looking at is now between the direct hard wired approach, or using an FM modulator (NOT wireless). To go direct, I would have to buy the Blitzsafe and run an extention from the trunk to the dash, not hard, but there would be bucks and time involved. While I would like the extra, tiny bit of fidelity that could be noticed on the HK system, it doesn't seem worth the expense, the modulators apparently do a pretty good job, much better than wireless in any regard. Thanks again for your help. BTW: my AM radio sounds fine, so even with a TSB, out for replacing 2002 HUs, I can't make the claim for a new unit.

I tried the FM modulator and that didn't work for me at all - way too much static. I got the blitzsafe adapter and it was quite easy to put in. You will still need a ground loop isolator (from Radio Shack) to get clear sound.

I'd recommend getting a good FM modulator and try it out, and see if you can live with it. If not, return it and go the route of blitzsafe. That's exactly what I did with my old car.

barney rubble
06-29-2005, 07:33 PM
deleted

barney rubble
06-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Blitzsafe makes an aux input adapter that "fools" you radio into thinking it's a CD changer.

It plugs into the wiring harness that is in your trunk, and then you have to snake a wire up to the center console. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have about the installation.

Does the Blitzsafe product work to your satisfaction? How difficult was the install and how did you snake the wire from the trunk thru the console - is it a neat install or are there wires hanging?

I've been trying to decide whether or not to purchase this for my '02 525.

Thanks!

tehkao
06-29-2005, 10:35 PM
I just installed the Blitzsafe AUX adapter, easy to install and worked like magic, lucky for me I had the Cold Weather Package and pull down rear seats so I just snaked my AUX cable thru there, hehehe. Kinda cheezy but it works. :thumbup:

Now I can play thousands and thousands of MP3s with perfectly clear sound!!!! Who needs a CD Changer?? :thumbup:

The Blitzsafe solution is probably not for people who can't stand a weird cable winding thru their BMW though....

barney rubble
06-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Follow-up questions:1) did you also have to get the DSP adapter
2) For those of us w/out the Cold Weather package, what's the best way to hide the wires coming in from the trunk?

Thanks!

tehkao
07-01-2005, 02:36 AM
There is a seperate DSP adapter if you have DSP in your BMW...to be honest, I don't even know what the heck DSP is...I doubt that most people have it...

janey
07-02-2005, 11:11 AM
thanks

janet