PDA

View Full Version : styling crituiqe

wagonman
06-26-2005, 12:07 AM
the subject of chris bangles styling has been beaten into the ground by car magazine editors and others. i did want to share my (changed) views on bmw styling since just returning from almost 3 weeks in italy. i just picked up my 06 530 xi wagon. i love it. prior to going to europe i felt the e60 sedan was clunky and awkward looking. i felt that the front end (identical to the wagon) looked sharp and the back was pretty nice but from the side the car looked generic and somewhat unbalanced. seeing these cars in europe in the home country i was unprepared for how much my opinion has changed. i really "got" what bangle and co intended for the e60 sedan. it is very european in its presentation. i now no longer feel that the wagon is superior in terms of exterior styling. dont get me wrong, i love the way the wagon looks and do not have any regrets. it is interesting to me that the new bmw styling actually takes time to appreciate. it grows on me. when i first saw the new 6 series i didnt get it either. now i think it is red hot. i did see some new e90's. i was underwhelmed. if my reaction to the e60 and 6 series is any indication, about a year from now i will be loving the look of the e90. kudos to chris bangle and to teh bmw team for creating beatiful machines!

hpowders
06-28-2005, 03:40 AM
I do believe the new 5 series design looks much better in person than in photos. :thumbup:

GJR
06-28-2005, 05:29 AM
I agree with all of the above, and I was a naysayer for a LONG time before I came around.

gojira-san
06-28-2005, 05:37 AM
I've tried and I am still not feeling the love. ;) I still find the E60 sedan unbalanced looking. The facelifted 7er is better looking and I do like the 6er from some angles.

The funny thing is the more and more I see of the new designs... the more I love the look of the E36. Go figure. :dunno: