PDA

View Full Version : bimmers not the only one

wagonman
06-26-2005, 11:41 AM
we all love bimmers. that is why we are here (on this site) but i have to respectfully disagree with those who cannot see that other brands have their merits. after just returning from a 3 week trip to europe i can say that i would definetly consider mercedes and audi next time. the idea that audi has a vw stigma is absurd. these cars are every bit as good as bimmers imo. i saw many a3s, a4s and some a6s. the new audi styling is very distinctive, very european and cool. the quality problems (primarily electrical) that have plagued mercdes over the pas few years are well known. i doubt daimler willl just stay the same on this front. my own prediction is that quality improves markedly in the mercedes brand over the next few years. i recently read about the new ml350 which appears to set a new standard in the suv category. i would not count mercedes out nor would i just assume the bmw is the best always, in every category.

guest0308
06-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Since I was little I always wanted to have my own BMW. Well, I've had 3 so far and I am not saying I dont like other cars but I dont think I would ever exchange the BMW with anything else! I love it and it's everything I want :)

hpowders
06-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Amen to that! I just ordered my 3rd BMW, a 545i. I test drove most of the competition: M45, GS430,etc;
And NOTHING within reason drives like a BMW! :tsk:

wagonman
06-26-2005, 01:27 PM
Amen to that! I just ordered my 3rd BMW, a 545i. I test drove most of the competition: M45, GS430,etc;
And NOTHING within reason drives like a BMW! :tsk:
i love bimmers and also feel they are the best overall brand. i know exactly what you mean about nothing driving quite like a bimmer. however, i personally feel the other german brands ie audi and mercedes are viable competitors and i would not rule out purchasing one in the future. call me open-minded :dunno:

bmw330pp
06-26-2005, 01:28 PM
Since I was little I always wanted to have my own BMW. Well, I've had 3 so far and I am not saying I dont like other cars but I dont think I would ever exchange the BMW with anything else! I love it and it's everything I want :)
:stupid: Ever since I was small, I've had an attraction to BMW's. As soon as I saw the first e46, that attraction went from lust to love. I knew I had to have one, and a few years later, I was able to have one. :cry: What a beautiful story. :)

anlauf
06-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Audis are great cars, but since I only do European delivery, when will Audi start offering the process? Until they do, it's Bayern for me.

njbimmerman
06-26-2005, 03:50 PM
we all love bimmers. that is why we are here (on this site) but i have to respectfully disagree with those who cannot see that other brands have their merits. after just returning from a 3 week trip to europe i can say that i would definetly consider mercedes and audi next time. the idea that audi has a vw stigma is absurd. these cars are every bit as good as bimmers imo. i saw many a3s, a4s and some a6s. the new audi styling is very distinctive, very european and cool. the quality problems (primarily electrical) that have plagued mercdes over the pas few years are well known. i doubt daimler willl just stay the same on this front. my own prediction is that quality improves markedly in the mercedes brand over the next few years. i recently read about the new ml350 which appears to set a new standard in the suv category. i would not count mercedes out nor would i just assume the bmw is the best always, in every category.

I agree they are worth competitors. Just not for me.
And I can't get over that stupid looking new front grill on the Audi.
What's with the BIG GRILL look.
The new Audi.....Crhysler......even one of those Korean cars has it.
Sheesh!

LIL RAJA
06-26-2005, 04:17 PM

until you drive a Porsche of course. lol

hpowders
06-26-2005, 04:41 PM
That's why I said "within reason." :thumbdwn:
And he spent the rest of his days in a magical hurricane-infested land smoking the Mercedes, Infiniti and Lexus pretenders in his titanium silver 545i journeying from one interstate to another in his noble quest to show the world that his $58,000 BMW has no competition in its price class.
What a beautiful, noble story. Too bad Wagner didn't live to write the music for it. ;)

kd2789mo
06-26-2005, 08:08 PM
bimmergirl23 Since I was little...
:bustingup

LDV330i
06-26-2005, 08:47 PM
Each brand has a dedicated following and many times it is an emotional one that cannot be readily explained. I was a VW man, but above all a german car guy. Unfortunately though I loved the cars, GTI and Corrado, the repair bills was more than I could bear financially. The Audi dealers actually pushed me into the BMW fold.

I had fallen in love with the A4 when they had just come out. Unfortunately all dealers had a 2 to 3K dollar market adjustment on the cars. So the $26.5K car I wanted so bad was going to cost me $30k which was out of my budget. I looked for an alternative german car. I found the 318ti Sport. It was also priced at $26.5K but the dealer was willing to let me have it for $24K. This worked out great for me because when I sold the 318ti I got nearly double of what A4's were going for in the used car market. :D In the close to 9 years I have owned a BMW I have spent less in maintenance that in 1 year of owning a VW. :thumbup:

wagonman
06-26-2005, 08:54 PM
:bustingup
:asshole: since there are very few women on this site i dont think you should be making fun of bimmergirls nice note. got that moron?

guest0308
06-26-2005, 09:11 PM
until you drive a Porsche of course. lol
My ex had one and I got to drive it...well it's fast but I won't change my BM for that. I am a bimmergirl that just won't happen to me, you can call me crazy ;)

guest0308
06-26-2005, 09:13 PM
:asshole: since there are very few women on this site i dont think you should be making fun of bimmergirls nice note. got that moron?
Thank you

kd2789mo
06-26-2005, 09:32 PM
Ah, thank you Sir...had the poster been 23 and male, my simple jest would have met your double-standard.

Bimmergirl--I had read this thread, and your post whilst my 22 yr old daughter was sitting beside, also reading. She just graduated earlier this year, and just purchased her first bimmer.
When she read your post, she said, "ugh...she's only got one year up on me, and she's on her third, I'm jealous."
We laughed, and thus the post. Nothing personal :)

guest0308
06-26-2005, 10:06 PM
Ah, thank you Sir...had the poster been 23 and male, my simple jest would have met your double-standard.

Bimmergirl--I had read this thread, and your post whilst my 22 yr old daughter was sitting beside, also reading. She just graduated earlier this year, and just purchased her first bimmer.
When she read your post, she said, "ugh...she's only got one year up on me, and she's on her third, I'm jealous."
We laughed, and thus the post. Nothing personal :)

Well, she is a year ahead of me in school and that's even better :) I will graduate next year . I got here almost 5 years ago. It was hard for me to learn the language and learn the fact that the AA degree I had from back my country didn't count here and I had to retake all the classes :( So I am jealous of her ;) j/k

LIL RAJA
06-27-2005, 07:43 AM
My ex had one and I got to drive it...well it's fast but I won't change my BM for that. I am a bimmergirl that just won't happen to me, you can call me crazy ;)

Depends on which model you drove.
I used to not like Porsches at all when I was a kid.
i drove a few that I thought was a blaaah.
Just like a bmw a car without the right package makes it feel not so great.

I love bmws as well and I myself am BM and Porsche person.

Raja

LIL RAJA
06-27-2005, 07:44 AM
Well, she is a year ahead of me in school and that's even better :) I will graduate next year . I got here almost 5 years ago. It was hard for me to learn the language and learn the fact that the AA degree I had from back my country didn't count here and I had to retake all the classes :( So I am jealous of her ;) j/k

where are you from if u don't mind me asking. I too had to learn the language as you and I feel the pain.

Raja

GJR
06-27-2005, 08:10 AM
PRD2BHYE- under her username... HYE in Armenian means "Armenian." Like me! Welcome aboard, bimmergirl23.

guest0308
06-27-2005, 09:31 AM
where are you from if u don't mind me asking. I too had to learn the language as you and I feel the pain.

Raja
I am Armenian and I have no idea how many Armenians are here in this forum and if you've ever heard of us ;)

guest0308
06-27-2005, 09:32 AM
PRD2BHYE- under her username... HYE in Armenian means "Armenian." Like me! Welcome aboard, bimmergirl23.
Thank you :)

njbimmerman
06-27-2005, 09:52 AM

Hi Crazy! :rofl:

hpowders
06-27-2005, 10:47 AM
Where Mercedes has BMW beat is outward styling in the $50,000-$75,000 categories. The new E and S series are better looking cars than the 5 and 7 series.
Just my opinion. :dunno:

wagonman
06-27-2005, 12:19 PM
Where Mercedes has BMW beat is outward styling in the $50,000-$75,000 categories. The new E and S series are better looking cars than the 5 and 7 series.
Just my opinion. :dunno:
true!

hpowders
06-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Yup. Combine Mercedes styling with BMW performance and I do believe we would have the perfect car! :thumbup:

kd2789mo
06-27-2005, 06:03 PM
I am Armenian and I have no idea how many Armenians are here in this forum and if you've ever heard of us ;)
When I lived in Diamond Bar, and worked in Arcadia, one of my co-workers, an Armenian family from Iraq, and I became very close friends. I had the wonderful experience of being part of their family and friends. The live in Glendale also. We moved away from SoCal in 2001, but I still have many close friends there. Just a great group of people, and the Baklava...that stuff's more addictive than chocolate :thumbup:
OK, a bit OT, but he does drive an 04 645, so that counts :)

LIL RAJA
06-27-2005, 07:50 PM
Armenian family from Iraq--??? confused.
:mad:

SpeedFreak!
06-27-2005, 08:13 PM

:rofl:
I read that... and seriously thought it was:
1) Proud to be Bi-sexual
-or- 2) Proud to be High... :smokin:

Hey bimmergirl... we have the same birth date... uh, except for the year. :D

SpeedFreak!
06-27-2005, 08:24 PM

Seriously... I'm not sure about anybody else... but I would like to know the actual intent of this thread. :confused: My first impression was that it was started by a troll. Read his post... carefully...
...what is the point? :dunno:
The three brands he listed... BMW, MB, and Audi are all very different. They each take a completely different approach to car design. It's like talking about the flavors of ice cream. What do you like better... vanilla or chocolate? BMW is the Ultimate Driving Machine... PERIOD. No one else is even close. Just because the sane people in here know this fact... love this fact... and talk a lot about this fact... doesn't mean that we are trashing the "other" German cars... its simply an expression of our flavor. :thumbup:
So, again I ask... what the hell is the point of this thread?! :dunno:

kd2789mo
06-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Kavorkian...told me his family immigrated from Iraq when he was 8, which would have been 1968.

wagonman
06-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Seriously... I'm not sure about anybody else... but I would like to know the actual intent of this thread. :confused: My first impression was that it was started by a troll. Read his post... carefully...
...what is the point? :dunno:
The three brands he listed... BMW, MB, and Audi are all very different. They each take a completely different approach to car design. It's like talking about the flavors of ice cream. What do you like better... vanilla or chocolate? BMW is the Ultimate Driving Machine... PERIOD. No one else is even close. Just because the sane people in here know this fact... love this fact... and talk a lot about this fact... doesn't mean that we are trashing the "other" German cars... its simply an expression of our flavor. :thumbup:
So, again I ask... what the hell is the point of this thread?! :dunno:
the point is simple. i love bimmers. i just bought one! any subject, whether it is bimmers, music, or whatever when it becomes so one dimensional as in " this is it", imho becomes an ego trip. i was simply making the point that audis and mercedes make nice cars as well. and the world does not stop and start with bmws. it is true and i agree with you that all of these makes are somewhat different and have a different emphasis. i like to start threads that make people think. if i am a bit inflammatory at times, that is because i like to shake things up. got it :D

EuroRocket
06-27-2005, 11:01 PM
I like other brands too esp Audi but I'm a loyal BMW fan.

SpeedFreak!
06-28-2005, 01:03 AM
the point is simple. i love bimmers. i just bought one! any subject, whether it is bimmers, music, or whatever when it becomes so one dimensional as in " this is it", imho becomes an ego trip. i was simply making the point that audis and mercedes make nice cars as well. and the world does not stop and start with bmws. it is true and i agree with you that all of these makes are somewhat different and have a different emphasis. i like to start threads that make people think. if i am a bit inflammatory at times, that is because i like to shake things up. got it :D

You are on a BMW web-sight... in my experience here for the last few years... most believe that MB and Audi are worthy competitors who build good cars. In fact... I would even say that in this day and age... most manufacturers build good cars. For a driving fanatic... for most people here... for the true enthusiast... the world does "start and stop with BMWs" There is NO OTHER car in the segment that is even close. We're not talking Ferrari... Lamborghini... etc... we are talking direct competitors... there is NOTHING that matches BMW. Sure... Infiniti and Cadillac have actually gotten pretty good at getting close to emulating the BMW package... but they are still in the process of "getting close"... they are good... but still not there, yet.
As for the intent of your thread... your last comment makes that very clear. You are on a BMW fanatic web-sight trying to stir up "something"... that... without your explanation... was perfectly clear. :rolleyes:

hpowders
06-28-2005, 06:06 AM
By the way, the car-maker you talk about is spelled Infiniti not Infinity. Good to see you corrected it. :thumbup:

wagonman
06-28-2005, 07:05 AM
You are on a BMW web-sight... in my experience here for the last few years... most believe that MB and Audi are worthy competitors who build good cars. In fact... I would even say that in this day and age... most manufacturers build good cars. For a driving fanatic... for most people here... for the true enthusiast... the world does "start and stop with BMWs" There is NO OTHER car in the segment that is even close. We're not talking Ferrari... Lamborghini... etc... we are talking direct competitors... there is NOTHING that matches BMW. Sure... Infinity and Cadillac have actually gotten pretty good at getting close to emulating the BMW package... but they are still in the process of "getting close"... they are good... but still not there, yet.
As for the intent of your thread... your last comment makes that very clear. You are on a BMW fanatic web-sight trying to stir up "something"... that... without your explanation... was perfectly clear. :rolleyes:
whatever you say...

guest0308
06-28-2005, 09:19 AM
BMW is the Ultimate Driving Machine... PERIOD. No one else is even close. :
:thumbup:

SpeedFreak!
06-28-2005, 10:20 AM
By the way, the car-maker you talk about is spelled Infiniti not Infinity. :thumbdwn:

It was late... um, early... and my "SpellChecker" said it was OK... :thumbup: sooo, I didn't catch it.

hpowders
06-28-2005, 10:39 AM
It was late... um, early... and my "SpellChecker" said it was OK... :thumbup: sooo, I didn't catch it.
Glad to see you changed it on your original post.
You are officially forgiven. :thumbup:

1Dreamer
06-28-2005, 02:46 PM
i was simply making the point that audis and mercedes make nice cars as well. and the world does not stop and start with bmws. it is true and i agree with you that all of these makes are somewhat different and have a different emphasis. I read your post when you first posted it and understood what you were saying. Reading these boards makes it seem like BMW owners have no ability to be objective and flame every other kind of car, but Mercedes, Porsche and every other car board is like that and the people that participate in the boards are only a small percentage of overall owners of that brand who are the most brand loyal and value whatever that brand's focus is.

I never try to talk anyone into getting a BMW because I don't assume they necessarily value what I do. Some people want nothing more than reliable transportation, others want cushy comfort and total isolation, others want great gas mileage and environmentally friendly cars, and others want straight line speed. The attributes I value in a car just happen to be what BMW has more than any other brand, but might not mean squat to others - and that's fine. A BMW is not for everyone and as long as everyone is happy with what they have, I'm as excited for them when they get a new car as I would hope they'd be for me.

guest0308
06-28-2005, 03:32 PM
When I lived in Diamond Bar, and worked in Arcadia, one of my co-workers, an Armenian family from Iraq, and I became very close friends. I had the wonderful experience of being part of their family and friends. The live in Glendale also. We moved away from SoCal in 2001, but I still have many close friends there. Just a great group of people, and the Baklava...that stuff's more addictive than chocolate :thumbup:
OK, a bit OT, but he does drive an 04 645, so that counts :)
I LOVE Baklava , aww now I want one!!! ;)

guest0308
06-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Yap, and I am Armenian from Iran,( however I am Christian ), also there are Armenians from Iraq, from Armenia and from Turkey. These are the major countries that Armenians come from and live in U.S.A.

guest0308
06-28-2005, 03:40 PM
I read that... and seriously thought it was:
1) Proud to be Bi-sexual
-or- 2) Proud to be High... :smokin:

Hey bimmergirl... we have the same birth date... uh, except for the year. :D
? Are you serious? :jawdrop: ok I am changing it !!!

SpeedFreak!
06-28-2005, 03:50 PM
? Are you serious? :jawdrop: ok I am changing it !!!

NOOOO... don't do that! Now that I know... it's totally cool. :thumbup:
Funny thing about your post... at first I thought you were talking about your birth date... :rofl: oh boy... maybe I need another cup of coffee. :D

iDriveguy
06-28-2005, 05:29 PM
Cheers,

While I have become a bit of a BMW "snob", I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the competition (including the Japanese and English brands). Among my arsenal of current & previously owned vehicles I've driven;

- '89, '90, '93 SAAB
- '91 Volvo 940T
- '96 Volvo 850T
- Two '02 VW's
- '02 Cooper
- '99 A6
- '01 allroad
- '00 528
- '04 FX35

EVERY SINGLE ONE, was a dream to own. Not one was a lemon or gave me any problems in any way. I think it's important to note however, I keep no less than 4 vehicles at one time. Therefore I'm not racking up high mileage on any "one" car and I do not drive my cars "hard" or "abusively".

What I loved about Audi BMW didn't offer (quattro). What I love about BMW (performance) Infiniti couldn't offer. What I love about Infiniti (advance technology) Volvo couldn't offer. What I love about Volvo (safe sex... er, um I mean safety), VW couldn't offer. What I love about VW (diesel engine) SAAB couldn't offer. And what I love about SAAB (quirky styling).... Well, MINI came along and satisfied this for me as well! Doh! :doh:

hpowders
06-28-2005, 05:51 PM
Cheers,

While I have become a bit of a BMW "snob", I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the competition (including the Japanese and English brands). Among my arsenal of current & previously owned vehicles I've driven;

- '89, '90, '93 SAAB
- '91 Volvo 940T
- '96 Volvo 850T
- Two '02 VW's
- '02 Cooper
- '99 A6
- '01 allroad
- '00 528
- '04 FX35

EVERY SINGLE ONE, was a dream to own. Not one was a lemon or gave me any problems in any way. I think it's important to note however, I keep no less than 4 vehicles at one time. Therefore I'm not racking up high mileage on any "one" car and I do not drive my cars "hard" or "abusively".

What I loved about Audi BMW didn't offer (quattro). What I love about BMW (performance) Infiniti couldn't offer. What I love about Infiniti (advance technology) Volvo couldn't offer. What I love about Volvo (safe sex... er, um I mean safety), VW couldn't offer. What I love about VW (diesel engine) SAAB couldn't offer. And what I love about SAAB (quirky styling).... Well, MINI came along and satisfied this for me as well! Doh! :doh:
Wow! 2 E60's. Very impressive! What models are they? I have a 545i coming soon.

kd2789mo
06-28-2005, 08:59 PM
I LOVE Baklava , aww now I want one!!! ;)
topped with pistachio's :thumbup:

iDriveguy
06-28-2005, 11:33 PM
Wow! 2 E60's. Very impressive! What models are they? I have a 545i coming soon.

Yeah, yeah... I know the 530's are under powered blah-blah-blah. But we really wanted 2 E60's and the 545 (equipped like we got) was simplly way out of my league as far as monthly budget goes... So I took the 530's and opted for a few more "bells & whistles".

Ejoy your new car - I know you will! ;)

Cheers,

hpowders
06-29-2005, 09:07 AM
Yeah, yeah... I know the 530's are under powered blah-blah-blah. But we really wanted 2 E60's and the 545 (equipped like we got) was simplly way out of my league as far as monthly budget goes... So I took the 530's and opted for a few more "bells & whistles".

Ejoy your new car - I know you will! ;)

Cheers,

Those photos are really nice. Can't wait to get mine after seeing your photos.

Mr. Creosote
07-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Agreed...Merc styling is unsurpassed. The E and S series are just incredibly classy looking cars. Too bad Mercedes is now producing complete junk. I remember Merc's unsurpassed reputation for quality when I was a kid...how things change. My Audi has had many problems too--and from what I hear, BMW is no walk in the park either--what's up with the Germans??

MikeCTM2
07-18-2005, 08:02 PM
I was just in munich. they're spending too much on their state-of-the-art museums. the new BMW one is $120 million. vw, porsche, and mb are all building big, expensive ones too.

they're doing all this attempting to invest in german car sells in the future. evidently, they've assessed their automotive history as their strongest point. in reliability they're being beatin by Japanese auto makers. they should ease up on financing big museums and allocate more to quality control.

fuenfwagon
07-19-2005, 02:20 AM
Cheers,

- '89, '90, '93 SAAB
- '91 Volvo 940T
- '96 Volvo 850T
- Two '02 VW's
- '02 Cooper
- '99 A6
- '01 allroad
- '00 528
- '04 FX35

iDrive, I'm moving from 2004 FX35 to an E60 (well, E61 to be precise). The Infiniti goes back this weekend and I'm meeting the new ride in Munich first week in August. Loved my FX but decided I wanted something a bit more refined with better mileage...that, and I always aspired to a BMW. My FX was hassle-free, I'm hoping for the same from BMW.