PDA

View Full Version : Touring Sirius & Ice>Link Plus Install

mbushnell
06-26-2005, 12:07 PM
I've just finished installing Sirius Radio & Dension Ice>Link Plus into my 2003 325xiT.

No major problems. I wanted to try to fit the Sirius Antenna under the rear spoiler, so I removed the spoiler & found out that the antenna is too high to fit there, so I reinstalled the spoiler & placed the antenna next to the cell phone antenna on the roof. I used a set of home made brackets (thanks again Terry) to attach the receiver to the CD changer brackets (I removed the CD Changer itself), since apparently BMW has decided not to support the Tourings with a bracket/installation kit for Sirius.

For the Ice>Link Plus, I used the version that hooks up to the Sirius Receiver in the back left of the car instead of behind the Head Unit. I have replaced the stock cup holders in the center console with the Euro Tray & keep the iPod in there. I ran the Ice>Link Plus cable behind the left rear trim panel, around the bottom of the rear seat, and then along the transmission/driveshaft hump into the console. I used a piece of piano wire to get the cable under the carpet into the console.

I have both a 20gb 2nd generation "Classic" iPod and a 40gb 4th generation iPod. I bought Ice>Link adapters for both. My current plan is to mainly use the "Classic" iPod most of the time, but install the newer iPod for long trips, etc. I've got the older iPod hooked up right now & haven't tried the newer one yet.

One thing that I noted, & will send Tom @ Dension an email about this, is that it appears as if my "Classic" iPod is still playing after turning off the radio & I've had to turn off the iPod manually. At the moment, I'm not sure if I'm not waiting long enough, or if it is because I am using a "Classic" iPod instead of my newer one. I only played with it a couple of minutes before packing everything up & going back inside. At 90+ degrees outside, it was just too hot (got done just before noon).

I went with the Dension Ice>Link Plus instead of the BMW system as I believe the BMW system is only for 3rd & 4th generation iPods & I would be unable to use my "Classic" iPod.

Terry Kennedy
06-26-2005, 03:18 PM
I wanted to try to fit the Sirius Antenna under the rear spoiler, so I removed the spoiler & found out that the antenna is too high to fit there, so I reinstalled the spoiler & placed the antenna next to the cell phone antenna on the roof.So, did you break any of the tabs? :D
I used a set of home made brackets (thanks again Terry) to attach the receiver to the CD changer brackets (I removed the CD Changer itself), since apparently BMW has decided not to support the Tourings with a bracket/installation kit for Sirius.No problem!

mbushnell
06-26-2005, 08:03 PM
So, did you break any of the tabs? :D
No problem!

Yep, I broke 1 tab.