PDA

View Full Version : Can I run Redline D4 ATF as an alternative of LT1/LT2 tranny fluid?

blazingbeat
06-28-2005, 11:00 AM
I traded it in my 328ci for a í02 M3. The car is an absolute delight to drive except the gearbox. I did some researches in this forum but didnít find any topic related to transmission fluid. Does the M3 gearbox require ATF or MTF? Thanks!

Pinecone
06-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Considering that a few have messed them up, only use BMW fluid for now. The LT2 does help a good bit, even on SMG cars. Just not cheap.

Others, who are more cavalier about the warranty, have had good luck with Royal Purple and said good things about the shifting.

Other choices are Redline MTF (not a big fan of D4ATF in these boxes) or Mobil 1 gear lube.

blazingbeat
06-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the info Terry. My local dealer sells LT2 in a 5-liter jug for ~ $120 plus tax. They require purchasers to show the last 7 digits of VIN, is it some kind of CSL fluid? j/k :dunno:
LT2 seems to receive nothing but good reviews though. I am going to stop by the parts department after work.

Pinecone
06-29-2005, 05:33 PM
At least the one jug will do about 3 fluid changes. :) So find two other friends who want to change and split it.

Andre Yew
06-30-2005, 11:19 AM
At least the one jug will do about 3 fluid changes. :) So find two other friends who want to change and split it.

Does an open jug of LT2 have a short shelf life, or can it keep for a while? That is, is it best to use it all when it's open?

--Andre

blazingbeat
06-30-2005, 02:33 PM
I decided to make an appointment with Long Beach BMW. Is it true that dealers will change your tranny fluid to LT2 for free (well they get reimbursed) if customers experience notchy shifting.

Kevin

Nick325xiT 5spd
06-30-2005, 02:35 PM
I decided to make an appointment with Long Beach BMW. Is it true that dealers will change your tranny fluid to LT2 for free (well they get reimbursed) if customers experience notchy shifting.

Kevin
I believe that's exclusively for the E46 M3.

Pinecone
06-30-2005, 06:06 PM
I have not heard of a TSB on notchy shifting, so the likely answer is no, the dealer will not do it for free. They may, but only as part of a good will gesture.

If there is such a TSB, then they will do it.

But then again, if you can really afford an M3, you can afford to get some tranny fluid for it, or pay the dealer to change it.

As for shelf life, keep the cap on teh jug and it should have pretty much unlimited shelf life.