PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade software to V 17.1

iDriveguy
06-28-2005, 04:10 PM
Cheers comrades!

I have an appointment to take both 2005 E60's to the dealer Wednesday 29 June for a software upgrade to 17.1 (I think?)... (Service at my dealer told me the latest version but I can't remember if he said 17.1 or something else)

Anywhoo,... Is there anyone here who has had the upgrade to the VERY LATEST software that can tell me what the changes/improvements are??? Pleaaaaaaase? :bow:

Keep in mind I'm one of "those" who has nothing bad to say about iDrive - I think it's God's greatest gift to mankind and I have had no issues with the system on either of the '05's I have.

Cheers for now then.

stream
06-28-2005, 05:26 PM
The dealer upgraded me to 17.01 a few weeks ago when they installed the aux input (I didn't ask for an upgrade--they did it as part of the aux input install). My '05 545i was built 11/04 (not sure what version it previously had). The only difference I've noticed is the addition of perspective view in nav, which looks cool, but isn't that useful since it doesn't show street names. I didn't have any problems before the upgrade (aside from the window stopping half way up and returning down, which they fixed by replacing the window drive), so can't point to anything that was fixed with upgrade.

The next day I was driving on the highway and noticed that my steering wheel was off center--facing at 11:30 instead of 12:00 when going straight. I took it back and they had to reset the active steering--something I've heard others have had a problem with.

If it were me, unless I was having specific problems that might be resolved by a software upgrade, I wouldn't bother--if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

iDriveguy
06-28-2005, 10:45 PM
The dealer upgraded me to 17.01 a few weeks ago when they installed the aux input (I didn't ask for an upgrade--they did it as part of the aux input install). My '05 545i was built 11/04 (not sure what version it previously had). The only difference I've noticed is the addition of perspective view in nav, which looks cool, but isn't that useful since it doesn't show street names. I didn't have any problems before the upgrade (aside from the window stopping half way up and returning down, which they fixed by replacing the window drive), so can't point to anything that was fixed with upgrade.

The next day I was driving on the highway and noticed that my steering wheel was off center--facing at 11:30 instead of 12:00 when going straight. I took it back and they had to reset the active steering--something I've heard others have had a problem with.

If it were me, unless I was having specific problems that might be resolved by a software upgrade, I wouldn't bother--if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Many thanks Indeed!

My sentiments are the same; "if it ain't broke..." However, since the E60's I got were the first '05's delivered to my dealer (10/04 with a build of 9/04) I figure there has probably been some improvements? I believe upon delivery they had 13.0 - since the latest is 17.01 I suspect I may find an improvement with "speed" among menu screens among some other minor improvements.

I did ask the service manager if I would have (more) "problems" by upgrading. He replied honestly by saying they (BMW) prefers not to upgrade unless there is a problem. However in my case I will most likely experience a modest improvement since the software has improved since my production date.

Side note: for the Sapphire E60 we use the Treo and the BT cause the iDrive system to "reboot" intermittently. The dealer said the upgrade may correct this problem....

bmrjim
08-05-2005, 03:07 PM
How did the software upgrade go? I've been looking around to get my software upgraded to enable the bluetooth option in my care and the dealers have been less than helpful. Most don't seem to want to do it, another quoted me $950 to do the job. Is it really that intensive of an operation to upgrade the software??? :dunno:

Me530
08-05-2005, 04:00 PM
How did the software upgrade go? I've been looking around to get my software upgraded to enable the bluetooth option in my care and the dealers have been less than helpful. Most don't seem to want to do it, another quoted me $950 to do the job. Is it really that intensive of an operation to upgrade the software??? :dunno:

It can take a while to do the upgrade. You can probably get it done for free if you "invent" an issue- tell them your iDrive freezes all the time or your windows keep giving you an anti-trap error message.....

iDriveguy
08-06-2005, 01:47 PM
As Martha would say; "It's a good thing.."

The software upgrade went off without a hitch - in 3 words: FAB-U-LOUS!

Improvements as follows;
- Faster transition from screen to screen
- Faster "boot up" upon ignition
- Numbers show as Mobile, Home or Work (depending how entered in phone) in BT screen
- Type of phone (i.e. T637 or Treo 650) show on screen instead of "portable"
- Perspective view for NAV (3-D view in addition to North & direction of travel)
- NAV menu icons in NAV mode now (don't have to menu out - show to left of map)

And while I have no "proof" my understanding is the following; your BMW dealer will (and is required to) upgrade your software for FREE while it is still under warranty - I just made my appointment based on this nothing more... Didn't have to say I was having "problems".
Albeit I felt the screen transitions were way too slow...

Also, The $950 (or about) quote for BT upgrade sounds correct if your E60 did not come with BT - it's not just a software upgrade but some additional hardware which must be added as well... labor time is involved. So unless your E60 came with BT (ala 2005+ models) I wouldn't waste the money.... But I have to say (IMO) I find it to be God's greatest gift to Mankind!

Cheers for now!

ademitt
08-06-2005, 03:09 PM

The degree of difficulty in activating BT in your car depends on the build date. If your car was built after March 15, 2004 and before Sept 04, all that is required is to have BT activated provided you have software version 15 or newer. You may have to pay for the activation of the feature depending upon your relationship with the dealer. Cars built after September 1, 04 should have been shipped with BT activated from the factory.

If your car is an early build (before March 15, 2004), you will likely need to replace your TCU to have this feature. Cost is $2000 to $3000 for the TCU and labor to recode the car.

Idriveguy, did you loose your amber led's on the side of your car after the software update? There have been reports that the led's were disabled by 16.1 and activated again in 18.1 in certain vehicles.

Fireray
08-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Just took my 530I in to the shop here in Mobile, Al. Even though most of my complaints would be resolved with a software update, the dealer said they could not up grade unless they had a direct order from BMW USA. I sthis not a bunch of .....

BillP
08-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Just took my 530I in to the shop here in Mobile, Al. Even though most of my complaints would be resolved with a software update, the dealer said they could not up grade unless they had a direct order from BMW USA. I sthis not a bunch of .....

Yes, your dealer sucks.

gmanDC
08-18-2005, 12:26 PM
As Martha would say; "It's a good thing.."

The software upgrade went off without a hitch - in 3 words: FAB-U-LOUS!

Improvements as follows;
- Faster transition from screen to screen
- Faster "boot up" upon ignition
- Numbers show as Mobile, Home or Work (depending how entered in phone) in BT screen
- Type of phone (i.e. T637 or Treo 650) show on screen instead of "portable"
- Perspective view for NAV (3-D view in addition to North & direction of travel)
- NAV menu icons in NAV mode now (don't have to menu out - show to left of map)

And while I have no "proof" my understanding is the following; your BMW dealer will (and is required to) upgrade your software for FREE while it is still under warranty - I just made my appointment based on this nothing more... Didn't have to say I was having "problems".
Albeit I felt the screen transitions were way too slow...

Also, The $950 (or about) quote for BT upgrade sounds correct if your E60 did not come with BT - it's not just a software upgrade but some additional hardware which must be added as well... labor time is involved. So unless your E60 came with BT (ala 2005+ models) I wouldn't waste the money.... But I have to say (IMO) I find it to be God's greatest gift to Mankind!

Cheers for now!
iDrive guy

very curious as to your success in software upgrqade vs. my not so success. Although I don't have serious issues with my current setup except the delay in menu transition (still acceptable) and the BT tends to get "stuck" sometimes when i use the keypad. I need to manually turn off my RAZR phone and turn it back on and all is well. I made the appointment and took the car to my dealer for software update. he called back saying my car already has the latest.

I don't know production dates etc. but I ordered my 525i mid Jan 05 and it was delivered to me March 05.

I do know that I don't have the features you referenced: i.e 3D Nav, phone name list, etc.

Either my dealer is an idiot (strong possibility indeed from previous experience) or BMW has not delivered software updates consistently among dealers in the US... how can I find out what software version I have... other thoughts welcome

yamilrx
08-18-2005, 05:50 PM
It can take a while to do the upgrade. You can probably get it done for free if you "invent" an issue- tell them your iDrive freezes all the time or your windows keep giving you an anti-trap error message.....

I was actually going to ask the same question as to how I get them to upgrade on my 05 530i and I have been having some issues where my right front window doesn't go up unless I hold the button until it reaches the end. Maybe I can use that as a reason to bring it in and maybe the'll upgrade my software. Would that work??

dgdoc
08-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Is there any way to tell what version of the software you are currently running without taking the car to the dealer?

Thanks.

gmanDC
09-21-2005, 05:21 AM
latest info I got from my dealer.

I still have the original software since purchase. No updates have been performed (see my earlier post in this forum).

I contacted the service manager at my dealership and he did some digging. He wouldn't tell me what version my car currently has but indicated it can be scheduled for an update. They have v 18.1 currently at the service dept. The service manager did say tha t "the CD V43 as well as the new version CIP V19.0 updates have arrived at the dealership." I am scheduled for an update 3 weeks from now. Someone noted in a previous post that the v19 update will allow the in-dash CD to play MP3 format. The dealer would not confirm this but that would be sweet.

I'll post the results of my update in three weeks.

now if I can stop the paint from chipping off of the hood of my 6-month old car (check this forum for postts on this subject), I'd change my attitude about going back to Benz ;)

Me530
09-21-2005, 05:32 AM
Latest word is that version 20, scheduled for Nov or Dec will play MP3 on NAV cars. BMW had NAV cars at the Frankfurt auto show that were playing them.

Chnsky545i
09-21-2005, 11:45 PM
That would be sweet. I have had some weird issues with my car.

The other day I turned the car off and removed the car keys fromt he ignition:
I opened the door and the stereo still played and the I-drive screen was still on. I then closed the door, the stereo was still on, after opening the door there was a slight delay after about 5-10 seconds the stereo faded out and the I-drive screen turned off. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

They have said the E60 would play MP3s for sometime, it would be nice to see that be a reality. Anyone know if this is true?

ademitt
09-22-2005, 06:58 AM
That would be sweet. I have had some weird issues with my car.

The other day I turned the car off and removed the car keys fromt he ignition:
I opened the door and the stereo still played and the I-drive screen was still on. I then closed the door, the stereo was still on, after opening the door there was a slight delay after about 5-10 seconds the stereo faded out and the I-drive screen turned off. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

They have said the E60 would play MP3s for sometime, it would be nice to see that be a reality. Anyone know if this is true?

The first issue you speak about is a known problem corrected by updating the software.

MP3 capability will only be after cip 20 is released in Nov or Dec as ME530 said. This ability to play MP3s will only apply to cars with NAV. NA cars got a Business CD player until Sept 05 production IIRC.

glenmal
09-27-2005, 10:57 AM
I also love I-drive. It may be better than sex? :p Kidding aside, I was repairing and programming GPS systems in 1964 :D Cheers comrades!

I have an appointment to take both 2005 E60's to the dealer Wednesday 29 June for a software upgrade to 17.1 (I think?)... (Service at my dealer told me the latest version but I can't remember if he said 17.1 or something else)

Anywhoo,... Is there anyone here who has had the upgrade to the VERY LATEST software that can tell me what the changes/improvements are??? Pleaaaaaaase? :bow:

Keep in mind I'm one of "those" who has nothing bad to say about iDrive - I think it's God's greatest gift to mankind and I have had no issues with the system on either of the '05's I have.

Cheers for now then.

glenmal
09-27-2005, 11:01 AM
I'm trying to get rid of our C280 with 29k mileage. 2000. Cheap price 'cause I never want another Merc. Dealer service is an oxymoron in my area. Tysinger Merc +Dodge has really been disappointing! :mad:
latest info I got from my dealer.

I still have the original software since purchase. No updates have been performed (see my earlier post in this forum).

I contacted the service manager at my dealership and he did some digging. He wouldn't tell me what version my car currently has but indicated it can be scheduled for an update. They have v 18.1 currently at the service dept. The service manager did say tha t "the CD V43 as well as the new version CIP V19.0 updates have arrived at the dealership." I am scheduled for an update 3 weeks from now. Someone noted in a previous post that the v19 update will allow the in-dash CD to play MP3 format. The dealer would not confirm this but that would be sweet.

I'll post the results of my update in three weeks.

now if I can stop the paint from chipping off of the hood of my 6-month old car (check this forum for postts on this subject), I'd change my attitude about going back to Benz ;)

ado0000
05-20-2010, 12:50 AM
regarding softwear problems, i keep on facing the unknown reason for BT diconnection and connecting every othr oment in addition to the stereo that stops working for a while and some times unmute alone and turns on and of alone !
What can i do to fix that ?