PDA

View Full Version : Help! Some completely ignorant questions about BMW Assist

tehkao
06-28-2005, 11:05 PM
I've been reading about Assist, Bluetooth, etc and I'm still totally confused as to their differences and capabilities.

Right now I have a 2004 330i with BMW Assist. What I wish to know is:

1. I have read that you can install a BMW CPT9000 phone which will let you make phone calls thru BMW Assist, without needing Bluetooth. Is this true?

2. And if 1) is true, how does it work? Are the phone calls free? Do you have to "sign up" for a service like Verizon or Cingular?

3. If I want to make and receive hands free calls in my BMW, would this be the better route to go? Or is Bluetooth better?

Sorry if these are really dumb questions....

Technic
06-29-2005, 03:51 AM
I've been reading about Assist, Bluetooth, etc and I'm still totally confused as to their differences and capabilities.

Right now I have a 2004 330i with BMW Assist. What I wish to know is:

1. I have read that you can install a BMW CPT9000 phone which will let you make phone calls thru BMW Assist, without needing Bluetooth. Is this true?

2. And if 1) is true, how does it work? Are the phone calls free? Do you have to "sign up" for a service like Verizon or Cingular?

3. If I want to make and receive hands free calls in my BMW, would this be the better route to go? Or is Bluetooth better?

Sorry if these are really dumb questions....

1) Yes, it is true. A CPT9000 or any V60i can be programmed into the car and work with the Assist TCU...

2) ... however, you will be making calls thru the phone itself, not thru Assist. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70860

3) All depends of how much money you want to spend and the convenience that you are looking for:

If you already have a V60i installing it in your car will cost way less than $300.00 including the programming. This will be a full phone features, wired connection (steering wheel control of calls, caller ID in the radio screen, voice transmitted thru overhead microphone/calls listened thru front speakers, phonebook transfer, full SMS messaging in Nav equipped cars). This is a quick and inexpensive way of integrating a phone into your BMW.

The downside is that there is no voice dialing in this setup unless you buy a separate SES Voice Command module for around $300.00 - $400.00.

If you like the Bluetooth wireless connection and variety of phones you can replace your 2004 Assist TCU unit for a 2005 unit, P/N 84 11 6 964 114, at a cost of around $550 plus programming at your local dealer. This latest unit includes the Assist feature of course but also a Bluetooth section and a SES Voice Command feature, all integrated in one unit. It can be retrofitted in your car and work with any BMW approved Bluetooth phone.

The problem of this retrofit is that BT phone cradles are not compatible with 2004 E46 wiring if you are interested in installing one, that is. The existing wiring only support the V60i/CPT9000 hardware; it could be modified to work, though. I have not seen any BT phone transferring the SMS messaging to the Nav screen either. Other than this and BT works great with the car systems.

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/841304.pdf

tehkao
06-29-2005, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the fantastic and clear response....you guys are the greatest.. I dunno who I would do without you!!! :thumbup:

Technic
06-30-2005, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the fantastic and clear response....you guys are the greatest.. I dunno who I would do without you!!! :thumbup:

:thumbup: