PDA

View Full Version : Questions concerning clear bra/debris problem areas

TJS///M3
06-29-2005, 10:01 AM
My 05 is currently on order, but I'm already looking at clear bras :) I've talked with a few installation places about clear bras, and I think I'm settled on ArmorGlove. http://www.armourfendamerica.com/Products/

I believe it's made by Dupont (dont quote me), and they warrantee against no cracking, yellowing, bubbling (we'll see, right?) for lifetime if you have certified installers put it on. Anyway, it comes in a pre-cut kit with many pieces, and I'm wondering what you guys think the definite areas to cover are. Let's see if this works:

Here's a picture of the car and some of the pieces available: https://www74.safesecureweb.com/armorglove/shop/images_products_large/136.jpg

There are also other pieces available that would cover the side skirts between the front and rear wheels, and also a small piece to go behind each rear wheel.

Now the question.. Other than the front of the car, which I assume takes the most beating along with the mirrors, would you guys consider spending the $ to do the side skirts and behind the rear wheels? Do these areas take alot of abuse with debris/dirt? It's not that much more $ to do them, but if they are unnecessary, then I wont bother. Those of you with clear bras, any thoughts? Would you have done them?

And just so people know, I did search :)

Thanks

Tom

BahnBaum
06-29-2005, 04:07 PM
I did the full wrap that your picture shows initially, including the mirrors, lights and fog lights (with heavier stuff) and door edges.

When I went and put wider wheels up front, I had the installer do the area behind the front and rear wheels, as well as sections of the sill molding. I also went and had him add a strip on top of the rear bumper.

I'm VERY happy with my product (XPel kit) and would do it all over again. Like with all these installations, the quality and craftsmanship of the installer seems to have as much to do with the job as the quality of the film and kit.

Alex

TD330ci
06-29-2005, 05:19 PM
I did the full wrap that your picture shows initially, including the mirrors, lights and fog lights (with heavier stuff) and door edges.

When I went and put wider wheels up front, I had the installer do the area behind the front and rear wheels, as well as sections of the sill molding. I also went and had him add a strip on top of the rear bumper.

I'm VERY happy with my product (XPel kit) and would do it all over again. Like with all these installations, the quality and craftsmanship of the installer seems to have as much to do with the job as the quality of the film and kit.

Alex

LOL, I am getting the full kit on my car this Sunday.

When do we get to the point of just doing the whole dam car. to funny

Pinecone
06-29-2005, 05:31 PM
I see no reason to do behind the wheels. Even after over 3 years of having the car.

The front, the mirrors, the door edges, the cups behind the door handles, and the strip on the top of the bumper at the trunk opening. I have all but the last and have at least one scratch there.

Nothing behind the wheels and even after running track days, with R-comps and even one off course run, no damage to those areas.

TJS///M3
06-30-2005, 06:29 AM
Gentlemen, thank you for the responses. I'm thinking that I can get away without doing the areas behind the wheels for now. I guess if I see them taking some abuse, I can put it on. I had not thought about the strip on the rear bumper at the trunk opening.. I'm trying to think if that area on my '00 328i took any abuse there.. no hurt in asking how much to do that also.

One last question.. a couple of you said the door edges.. do you mean a small strip just to protect against banging into something when opening the door?

TD.. I'm waiting to see the pictures from tomorrow :D I will be checking periodically over the weekend to see if you throw them up :thumbup:

Now.. anyone want to buy a '90 E30 M3? :)

TD330ci
06-30-2005, 08:43 AM
Gentlemen, thank you for the responses. I'm thinking that I can get away without doing the areas behind the wheels for now. I guess if I see them taking some abuse, I can put it on. I had not thought about the strip on the rear bumper at the trunk opening.. I'm trying to think if that area on my '00 328i took any abuse there.. no hurt in asking how much to do that also.

One last question.. a couple of you said the door edges.. do you mean a small strip just to protect against banging into something when opening the door?

TD.. I'm waiting to see the pictures from tomorrow :D I will be checking periodically over the weekend to see if you throw them up :thumbup:

Now.. anyone want to buy a '90 E30 M3? :)

My 99 M has lots of little fine pebble marks behind the rear wheels, so I can see why this might be a good idea.

Pinecone, I never though of doing the door handle cup. Thanks for the idea. My 330ci after 3 years did have a lot of marks there from peoples fingernails. :(

TJS///M3, I went to the dealer last night to look at the car because it finally came in yesterday. I was going to pick it up Friday, but when I got there they had it all ready to go and I could not resist. She is at home right now under a car cover until Sunday when the full bra kit gets put on. All I can say is WOW. The color combo has to be seen in person. It always looks way to orange in the pictures. Three compilments just from people at the dealership.

You will not be disapointed. Pics to follow this weekend after I get less busy and the bra gets put on. Going to be a b*tch not to drive it until Sunday, But I want the front keep perfect. More to follow. WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :D

TJS///M3
06-30-2005, 01:55 PM
TJS///M3, I went to the dealer last night to look at the car because it finally came in yesterday. I was going to pick it up Friday, but when I got there they had it all ready to go and I could not resist. She is at home right now under a car cover until Sunday when the full bra kit gets put on. All I can say is WOW. The color combo has to be seen in person. It always looks way to orange in the pictures. Three compilments just from people at the dealership.

You will not be disapointed. Pics to follow this weekend after I get less busy and the bra gets put on. Going to be a b*tch not to drive it until Sunday, But I want the front keep perfect. More to follow. WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :D

Damn.. Congrats! I called the dealer this morning to talk to my salesguy and complained that the wait was taking too long :D He said he understood...

I told him that I didnt want him to put that front license plate frame on the car, and I didnt want them to wash/wax the car - I would take care of it. He said he would call me the day it comes in, and I could go and look at it to determine if I at least want them to wash it. I told him I want to be notified BEFORE the truck arrives there with it (ok I was kidding). But, he was not at all surprised at my requests :)

Pictures PLEASE!

TD330ci
06-30-2005, 02:13 PM
Damn.. Congrats! I called the dealer this morning to talk to my salesguy and complained that the wait was taking too long :D He said he understood...

I told him that I didnt want him to put that front license plate frame on the car, and I didnt want them to wash/wax the car - I would take care of it. He said he would call me the day it comes in, and I could go and look at it to determine if I at least want them to wash it. I told him I want to be notified BEFORE the truck arrives there with it (ok I was kidding). But, he was not at all surprised at my requests :)

Pictures PLEASE!

HAHA all stuff I did and requested and went through. My dealer NEVER installes front plates any more until delivery, then they ask the customer and have them sign a waver.

They did wash mine and yes it has a COUPLE of swrils but nothing I cant polish out this weekend when she gets her first detail after the bra is put on Sunday. Then the pics will come. HAHA!!

You will be VERY happy with the color combo. It looks much better in person. I dont regrete it A BIT!! :D

TJS///M3
07-06-2005, 09:54 PM

HAHA all stuff I did and requested and went through. My dealer NEVER installes front plates any more until delivery, then they ask the customer and have them sign a waver.

They did wash mine and yes it has a COUPLE of swrils but nothing I cant polish out this weekend when she gets her first detail after the bra is put on Sunday. Then the pics will come. HAHA!!

You will be VERY happy with the color combo. It looks much better in person. I dont regrete it A BIT!! :D

WELL? We are waiting!! Where are the pictures? :D

TD330ci
07-07-2005, 09:11 AM
WELL? We are waiting!! Where are the pictures? :D

Hey TJS///M3,

I know I am being a lazy ass about pics. I have been SUPER busy at work and the weekends have been nuts. I am out of town all this weekend again.

I will have them up by next weekend after a wash.

All I will say is, this car is best car I have ever owned so far. A beauty.

Also on more thing. Breakin SUCKS!!! I live very close to work and its going to take FOREVER!!!! 5500rpms is just when it starts to get fun! I can't wait for the 8K rush!! :D

Been over a week and I only have 110 miles on it. :mad: