PDA

View Full Version : One more AUX input, Business CD software question

xrobva
06-29-2005, 10:09 PM
All,

I have done several searches trying to figure out if my OEM Business CD head unit will support AUX. I have a 2001 325 wagon, and I know what you're thinking, the unit will not work because it is a 2001. While this is true, I had a problem with my CD player in 2003 and it was replaced under warranty with a new unit. So, I'm thinking the replacement MIGHT be able to support the AUX feature.

I am able to enter the service mode and get the serial number off of the unit. HOWEVER, the options I am getting in service mode do not match any of the other descriptions I have read in any of the threads. I do not get the + and - indicators on the small display to the right, and I do not get a SV xx xx xx display. Instead, I am getting some other cryptic listings, none of which appear to give me the info I need.

I get the serial number, then when I hit the button (on the left side, with the plus and minus silkscreened on them), I get the following (in no particular order): GI 45, HI 321403, SIM 111100, SIP 141401, DSP 0 V 00, GAL 3, AF ON (or MAN, I cannot remember which right now) and finally, the radio station I have tuned to (100.3) with 13 and 13 (this number can move to 12) after it.

What am I looking at? I guess I'll need to remove the radio to figure out the software and manufacture date (I got most of this info from this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37661), but is there anything else I can decipher from this?

Finally, if I AM able to utilize the AUX on this radio, will I need to buy/install the AUX kit (3 Series (E46) without navigation 82 11 0 149 389 - $39.95) to take advantage of it, or can I simply plug a 1/8" cable into the back of the radio?

Thanks in advance for the help.

xrob

operknockity
06-29-2005, 10:15 PM
I think you can tell from the SV number, but I forget off hand how to get it and I can't find the old post at the moment with the instructions. Short of that, you will have to pull the radio out and verify the vintage from the info on the label.

xrobva
06-29-2005, 10:28 PM
That's the problem. I am NOT getting an SV number as I apparently should. I do not know why. Perhaps that is an indicator that my new(er) radio still is not new enough...

Kaz
06-30-2005, 09:30 AM
AUX-capable radios will have a MODE button in place of the CD button. Also, when you yank the radio, there will be a 2nd unused set of pins next to the CD changer harness. When my 01's radio was replaced, I got another old style one. I think the reason is that when they added the 2nd set of pins, they also changed the radio connector from a '17' type with round pins (used since the late 80s) to a '40' type with flat pins. BMW does have an adapter harness to make this work (new radio in old car), but I'd doubt they'd do that on a warranty repair given they can still get old-style reman radios.

Technic
06-30-2005, 09:45 AM
All,

I have done several searches trying to figure out if my OEM Business CD head unit will support AUX. I have a 2001 325 wagon, and I know what you're thinking, the unit will not work because it is a 2001. While this is true, I had a problem with my CD player in 2003 and it was replaced under warranty with a new unit. So, I'm thinking the replacement MIGHT be able to support the AUX feature.

I am able to enter the service mode and get the serial number off of the unit. HOWEVER, the options I am getting in service mode do not match any of the other descriptions I have read in any of the threads. I do not get the + and - indicators on the small display to the right, and I do not get a SV xx xx xx display. Instead, I am getting some other cryptic listings, none of which appear to give me the info I need.

I get the serial number, then when I hit the button (on the left side, with the plus and minus silkscreened on them), I get the following (in no particular order): GI 45, HI 321403, SIM 111100, SIP 141401, DSP 0 V 00, GAL 3, AF ON (or MAN, I cannot remember which right now) and finally, the radio station I have tuned to (100.3) with 13 and 13 (this number can move to 12) after it.

What am I looking at? I guess I'll need to remove the radio to figure out the software and manufacture date (I got most of this info from this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37661), but is there anything else I can dechiper from this?

Finally, if I AM able to utilize the AUX on this radio, will I need to buy/install the AUX kit (3 Series (E46) without navigation 82 11 0 149 389 - $39.95) to take advantage of it, or can I simply plug a 1/8" cable into the back of the radio?

Thanks in advance for the help.

xrob

No AREA is shown? :dunno:

xrobva
06-30-2005, 10:04 AM
Sorry about that, it is set to USA. I forgot to put that one down. It is one of the options when I scroll through.

Technic
06-30-2005, 10:25 AM
Sorry about that, it is set to USA. I forgot to put that one down. It is one of the options when I scroll through.

Your only way of knowing if your radio has the AUX capability is to remove the unit and check the SW version and date of manufacture... based on what you posted it does not look like you even have a 2002 unit. :confused:

Kaz
06-30-2005, 10:29 AM
Your only way of knowing if your radio has the AUX capability is to remove the unit and check the SW version and date of manufacture... based on what you posted it does not look like you even have a 2002 unit. :confused:

You can have all the software and date of mfr you want, but if there is no jack in the back, the aux in kit has nowhere to go, and you'll have to go the Blitzsafe route (see the other thread)

xrobva
06-30-2005, 10:31 AM
You're right. It definitely looks like I have an older 01 unit. Instead of the "mode" button on the front, mine still has the "cd" button. I thought that maybe the "new" unit I received in 03 would have the aux ability, but it doesn't appear to. So, I'm guessing I'll need a newer (03) HU, the antenna adapter (or make my own), and the aux kit from BMW and I should be all set?

My goal is to have my icelink plus (already installed) and a 3rd party Sirius receiver (I want to be able to remove it and bring it in the house) at the same time. I assume that I can connect the sirius receiver through the aux port when I get that feature enabled, correct?

Thanks again,

xrob

Technic
06-30-2005, 11:30 AM
You can have all the software and date of mfr you want, but if there is no jack in the back, the aux in kit has nowhere to go, and you'll have to go the Blitzsafe route (see the other thread)

:doh: