PDA

View Full Version : Loose Steering?

JNICM3
06-30-2005, 10:30 PM
OK Heres the story. I recently bought a 2003 M3 and immediately noticed the steering was very light. I took it to the stealer and of course they said everything was fine (probably didnt even check anything) I read several posts on here and had them do an alignment. The steering changed dramatically and was perfect. Now, five days later it has gone back to how it was before the alignment for no reason. Does anyone know where the problem lies? This is very disturbing as the car feels like a chevy pickup instead of an M. Please help!

John

Riuster
06-30-2005, 11:03 PM
OK Heres the story. I recently bought a 2003 M3 and immediately noticed the steering was very light. I took it to the stealer and of course they said everything was fine (probably didnt even check anything) I read several posts on here and had them do an alignment. The steering changed dramatically and was perfect. Now, five days later it has gone back to how it was before the alignment for no reason. Does anyone know where the problem lies? This is very disturbing as the car feels like a chevy pickup instead of an M. Please help!

John

Front control bushings and rear toe trailing bushings are gone.....

machmeter
06-30-2005, 11:08 PM
Front control bushings and rear toe trailing bushings are gone.....
Wow. In a 2003. I wonder at what number of miles that usually happens, or is it due to extremely aggressive driving habits?

Riuster
06-30-2005, 11:08 PM
its under warranty..and watch out for shock mounts as well.

Riuster
06-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Wow. In a 2003. I wonder at what number of miles that usually happens, or is it due to extremely aggressive driving habits?

rears can go out in 15K miles....and its true...fronts last up to 40K...thats about it..then gone...

I had the same issue..now...after the fronts and rears were replaced..its as good as NEW.

JNICM3
07-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Thx for advice. I cant wait to try the changes. But why would the steering change DRAMATICALLY from day to day and the idiot stealer tell me everything is ok. Does everyone fight with service personnel that dont give a sh!t or are morons?

John

machmeter
07-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Thx for advice. I cant wait to try the changes. But why would the steering change DRAMATICALLY from day to day and the idiot stealer tell me everything is ok. Does everyone fight with service personnel that dont give a sh!t or are morons?

John
Uh... well, yes, actually. That's one of the little "extras" that come with BMW ownership. :rolleyes:

Pinecone
07-02-2005, 04:53 AM
Is it changing back and forth from good to bad adn back? Or did it just change from good to bad not long after the alignment?

If the RTABs or FCABs are shot, you can laign it, but any moderate smack to the suspension will knock it out of whack again.

Unfortunately, if you have stock parts put in, it will happen again. Turner Motorsport and BimmerWorld, and others, sell RTAB reinforcers. These are discs that fit either side of the RTAB to keep teh motion under to control to prevent tearing. I have heard that the PowerFlew urethane RTABs are not that great.

TC Kline has Delrin RTABs but you will get more NVH (noise, vibration, harshness).

Riuster
07-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Unfortunately, if you have stock parts put in, it will happen again. Turner Motorsport and BimmerWorld, and others, sell RTAB reinforcers. These are discs that fit either side of the RTAB to keep teh motion under to control to prevent tearing. I have heard that the PowerFlew urethane RTABs are not that great.

TC Kline has Delrin RTABs but you will get more NVH (noise, vibration, harshness).

well, turner stuff is good, but why pay if its under warranty....parts alone is like 300 bucks, the installation is another 350 or so, or even more...

if you are not SERIOUSLY tracking your vehicle...its a waste...let your warranty cover it., imo.

Pinecone
07-03-2005, 06:02 PM
And cover it, and cover it, and cover it. Even if there is no cost, if it is a known weak spot of the car, and has already gone out once, why keep replacing with the same POS par?

Powerflex RTABs are $69, and instlla is about 2 - 4 hours depending on your skill and how equipped your shop is.

Yesterday we did RTABs on two cars, complete suspension swap on one car, corner balance, align, all in one day.

No special tools required. Drop trailing arm, drill then use sawsall to cut outer metal sleeve of bushing. Using a punch, bend end both sides of the cut, and pop bushing out. New ones go in with hand pressure or maybe using a simple C clamp.

LADYBMW
11-26-2005, 12:14 PM
The dealer installed new control arms for $1000 on my 2001 BMW 325 CI to get rid of the loose steering. Now the steering is more loose. The dealer say that they can't do anything except to change the steering rack. Is this the only solution?

Does any one have recommendations for a place in the Maryland, Virginia area that can fix it properly?

Pinecone
11-26-2005, 02:48 PM
There is an SIB on the steering on the 01 cars. The fix is a new steering rack, that gives a better steering ratio.