PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between all the Business CD radio's??

Dirkvr
07-01-2005, 03:08 AM
This thread has already been posted on e46fanatics without succcess; I'm hoping you guys can help....:-)
I'm still pondering which way to go with my '00 323ci concerning an aux input. I've gathered that there are a few different BMW business CD radio's for an e46, but I'm still a bit confused. Tell me if I get this right

My '00 323ci Convertible has the 'original' (first) BMW business CD radio; all it does is receive AM and FM radio frequencies and play CD's or CD-r's. It is characterised by the 'CD' button next to the 'SCAN' button.
A picture can be seen at http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4558741575&rd=1

Somewhere in '01 (?) a new (second) version of the busines CD radio was introduced. It allows you to install an aux input through a small accessory cable purchased at the local BMW dealer. It is characterised by the 'MODE' button next to the 'SCAN' button.
A picture can be seen at http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EFGWA%3AIT&rd=1

Even later on ('04??) yet a newer (third) version of the business CD radio was introduced. It differs slighty in appearance to the second one, especially noticecable by the inscription 'BMW Business CD' being above the volume knob instead of below it (as it was on the first and second version).
A picture can be seen at http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EFGWA%3AIT&rd=1

That's what I (think) I know.

My questions:
- Am I correct in assuming that all radios with a 'MODE' button will allow an aux input?
- Do any of the radios listed play MP3 CD's? When I configure a new e46 convertible with the car configurator on bmw.de, it says that the business CD radio can play MP3's......
- Can all of them be simply swapped in and out for each other? (any antenna convertors needed?)

I'd like to simply play MP3's from my PDA's 3,5mm jack on my BMW's audio system. I'm NOT looking to install sirius or XM (it's not exactly available here in Europe). If I'm going to be buying a new radio anyway, might as well get the best/most recent one.

Any and all other info/warnings/do's/don't's CERTAINLY welcome

THANKS!!!

LDV330i
07-01-2005, 05:33 AM
Links to E-Bay do not work.

Seite konnte nicht gefunden werden

Kaz
07-01-2005, 08:53 AM
My questions:
- Am I correct in assuming that all radios with a 'MODE' button will allow an aux input?
- Do any of the radios listed play MP3 CD's? When I configure a new e46 convertible with the car configurator on bmw.de, it says that the business CD radio can play MP3's......
- Can all of them be simply swapped in and out for each other? (any antenna convertors needed?)

1. yes
2. Most, though not all MY05 radios. I don't think it's been conclusively proven by the swap of the "BUSINESS CD" and knob locations, though it sure seems like it.
3. You'll need antenna and main harness adapters if the car is MY99-01.

operknockity
07-01-2005, 11:39 AM
- Am I correct in assuming that all radios with a 'MODE' button will allow an aux input?1. yes Hmmmmm...... I've got a 12/01 (or is it an 01/02) build car and the head unit has the MODE label on the button instead of a CD label, but I was under the impression that even if it said MODE, that it wouldn't be Aux In capable in cars built before mid '02. Guess I'm really gonna have to pull the radio out and check the connectors and the top/rear labeling.