PDA

View Full Version : 2006 530i Battery Drain Light

kmims
07-01-2005, 09:40 PM
I have a new 2006 530i that just arrived 2 weeks ago from a Euro Delivery (absolutely fantastic) but I had to take it back to my service center for a "battery drain" warning that appeared in my message center. My car never had any problems (ie not starting etc) from the initial message center warning but over the next week the battery icon would randomly appear in the dashboard area along with an icon of a car on a lift getting service.

My car has been at the service center for 2 days now and they have been in contact with BMW for help with some diagnostic but still can't locate the source of the drain but keep getting the reading. Anyone out there have any ideas or maybe experienced anything like this with the new model?

They also had to replace my CD changer but I don't think that is related but thought I would mention it incase it rings a bell for anyone!

Only 1200 miles and I waited 5 weeks for the boat to make it here and now I have a loaner car!! :cry:

Thanks for any help! ~k

Me530
07-02-2005, 04:52 PM
I have a new 2006 530i that just arrived 2 weeks ago from a Euro Delivery (absolutely fantastic) but I had to take it back to my service center for a "battery drain" warning that appeared in my message center. My car never had any problems (ie not starting etc) from the initial message center warning but over the next week the battery icon would randomly appear in the dashboard area along with an icon of a car on a lift getting service.

My car has been at the service center for 2 days now and they have been in contact with BMW for help with some diagnostic but still can't locate the source of the drain but keep getting the reading. Anyone out there have any ideas or maybe experienced anything like this with the new model?

They also had to replace my CD changer but I don't think that is related but thought I would mention it incase it rings a bell for anyone!

Only 1200 miles and I waited 5 weeks for the boat to make it here and now I have a loaner car!! :cry:

Thanks for any help! ~k

I have heard that for certain CIP versions, pairing the car with bluetooth can prevent the car from going into sleep mode. I've also heard of this problem being related to the CD changer. There is also the possibility of an alternator problem (do you get this message while the car is running?) or a sensor problem. So much electronics, so many things to go wrong! :(

kmims
07-03-2005, 09:33 PM
CIP? I am not familiar with that term, but I haven't paired the car with my bluetooth yet since I have Sprint and there isn't a compatible phone that I am aware of. I have only received the formal message warning in the message center one time and yes the car was running, I had just pulled out of my garage but the car has never lost its power. Now I just keep getting the icon on the dashboard and that is what the dealer said they couldn't find the source of the drain after two days of diagnostics.

I have actually found another gentleman in Oklahoma experiencing the exact same problem with his new 2006 530i at the exact same mileage as mine.(1100 miles) His car has been at the service center since June 17 and was told they needed a part from Germany and would it would be 10 more days!

Anyone else out there with a 2006 530i experiencing this?

~k

06530xiNJ
07-11-2005, 01:25 PM
I have the same issue with my 06 530xi. Just took delivery on June 22 and the high battery drain light started randomly appearing after about 3 days. Called the dealer with the issue and then left for vacation. Still no word from the BMW techies on the problem yet. I do not have a CD changer in my vehicle so that does not seem to be a cause, at least on my car. Battery drain light seems to occur after the car sits overnight in my garage. After being idle 9 days while on vacation, the car started up with no problems and continues to do so. I'll post another reply when I hear back from the dealership.

Ågent99
07-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Yikes! :wow:

I was actually considering a 2006 530i (not seriously but thoughts crossed my mind to replace the 2001 530i) but perhaps I'll be sure NOT to! :)

Seriously, though, be thankful that the cars will be fixed more or less free of charge...sorry for the headaches!

The CIP is the software for the car. It is often updated and sometime when you take your car in, they will update it for you and you may notice new things you didn't have before (could be good, could be bad because it broke something else! :rolleyes: )

kmims
07-11-2005, 04:59 PM
I have the same issue with my 06 530xi. Just took delivery on June 22 and the high battery drain light started randomly appearing after about 3 days. Called the dealer with the issue and then left for vacation. Still no word from the BMW techies on the problem yet. I do not have a CD changer in my vehicle so that does not seem to be a cause, at least on my car. Battery drain light seems to occur after the car sits overnight in my garage. After being idle 9 days while on vacation, the car started up with no problems and continues to do so. I'll post another reply when I hear back from the dealership.

Sorry for your plight but we are not alone! I have been in contact with a gentleman from Oklahoma City with the same scenario. Glad to hear about your CD player though since I just received my car back from the dealer after 7 business days at the shop and they replaced the cd player and then the entire entertainment system and said the problem was fixed. ( I really thought my problem was cd related but not so if you are having this too) Does your car have NAV? My idrive rebooted on me a couple of times while driving but only when I was using my navigation so I wondered if that was somehow related. (grasping for straws about now I guess)

I picked up my car on Friday and after having it home for the night I had the same error message and warning lights Saturday morning. I plan to call the service department tomorrow and see what the next plan is. I am happy to say the car is driving fine, never died like the battery warning indicates it could, but something is draining the battery enough while sitting that the warning appears and its a little unnerving, especially on a car with so little mileage. The guy in OKCity was told they were waiting on a part from Germany to fix the problem, I plan to email him and see if this fixed his and I will post with any new updates....It certainly sounds like something happening to all the 2006's if it is in the CIP (thanks for my new term) since I was told at the dealer they have to update your car's computer all the time, but you would think by now BMWUSA would be having enough complaints that an answer would be available and that updates wouldn't be needed on a car this new. Guess thats why I am not in the car business...way to confusing..:dunno:

~kathleen

crash8168
07-11-2005, 08:34 PM
SUBJECT
"High Battery Drain" Message in CID

MODEL
E60/E61 (5 Series) with N52 engine.

SITUATION
A check control message "High battery drain, increased battery discharging while stopped, vehicle may not start" is shown in the CID (Central Information Display) when starting the car.

Fault code 2DED "Power management, closed circuit current monitoring" is stored in the MSV70 DME (Digital Motor Electronics).

The vehicle starts every time, and there are no other symptoms of low battery problems.

CAUSE
The closed circuit current momentarily exceeds its threshold value when the TCU wakes up to perform the "Stolen Vehicle Recovery" function. This should not cause a discharged battery.

CORRECTION
Do not replace parts. A solution is being developed and will be published shortly.

In case of customer complaint, check the battery and recharge if necessary.

If the battery is low, then the customer may have an additional problem causing the battery to go down. In this case, carry out additional troubleshooting to identify and correct the root cause.

06530xiNJ
07-12-2005, 04:55 AM
kathleen - No navigation system in my car, but based on the most recent posting prior to this one b CRASH8168 (THANKS!) it seems that we may have a solution in the near future. I'm going to relay this information to my dealer this morning and see what they say.

-- Joe

kmims
07-13-2005, 06:28 PM
I agree Joe! Thanks Crash!!

~k

christina mckee
08-04-2005, 07:38 PM
undefinedundefined

My 2006 530i has been at the dealership on 2 occasions for a total of about 20 days. No progress on fixing what they call a faulty warning light----the high battery drain warning displays after the car sits overnight. I do not feel safe driving the car with a false positive warning that might mask a real problem. I don't want the car back unless it's fixed. Has anyone had this problem SOLVED by a dealership?

Me530
08-04-2005, 08:06 PM
undefinedundefined

My 2006 530i has been at the dealership on 2 occasions for a total of about 20 days. No progress on fixing what they call a faulty warning light----the high battery drain warning displays after the car sits overnight. I do not feel safe driving the car with a false positive warning that might mask a real problem. I don't want the car back unless it's fixed. Has anyone had this problem SOLVED by a dealership?

Sounds like a software upgrade will be released to fix this one.

BMWNA
08-10-2005, 12:17 PM
undefinedundefined

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

Vitacura
09-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Any updates? I have had my 2006 525i for just over a week now and I get the same High Battery Drain warning. But mine comes up only after it has been sitting overnight. I have gotten it every single morning since I got the car. After the initial drive in the day it never shows up again until the next morning. So it seems it happens overnight, not when I am at work and the car sits for almost 10 hours. I am thinking of calling the dealership, but no one seems to have a fix yet.

crash8168
09-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Any updates? I have had my 2006 525i for just over a week now and I get the same High Battery Drain warning. But mine comes up only after it has been sitting overnight. I have gotten it every single morning since I got the car. After the initial drive in the day it never shows up again until the next morning. So it seems it happens overnight, not when I am at work and the car sits for almost 10 hours. I am thinking of calling the dealership, but no one seems to have a fix yet.
We are supposed to get the sofware fix for this sometime this month.....

iove75
09-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Is this a software or a hardware fix?

Me530
09-10-2005, 08:00 AM
Is this a software or a hardware fix?

99% of the time it will be a software fix, as it should be in this case.

bitrider
09-10-2005, 09:32 AM
My 2006 530i has been fine with respect to this issue. While reading this thread I was wondering if there is an erata list somewhere of known bugs with certain versions. Also some kind of master list of what has changed from version to version. Finally I have no clue which version software I have. Does anybody?

It seems really hard to think about what the problems are either on this board or even for the dealerships if there is no detailed history of what each release does or doesn't do.

If anyone knows anything about this I would be curious.

crash8168
09-10-2005, 04:56 PM
My 2006 530i has been fine with respect to this issue. While reading this thread I was wondering if there is an erata list somewhere of known bugs with certain versions. Also some kind of master list of what has changed from version to version. Finally I have no clue which version software I have. Does anybody?

It seems really hard to think about what the problems are either on this board or even for the dealerships if there is no detailed history of what each release does or doesn't do.

If anyone knows anything about this I would be curious.
There is a list of problems that are fixed with each release of vehicle software but not exactly what they did to fix it.

iove75
09-11-2005, 12:03 AM
99% of the time it will be a software fix, as it should be in this case.

Good cause I don't want my dealer monkeying around with hardware components. They always break something adjacent to what they're replacing and is very kind enough not to have me worry about it by not telling me what they broke.

vcarpen2
09-11-2005, 05:01 PM
I have 2006 BMW 530i. 3000 miles...i have a high battery drain warning. Same problem as in the forum. I guess I just have to take my car to the dealer, or is there a way I can reset the system? Brand new car, why do I have to take it to the shop already??

Me530
09-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Wait a little while before you take the car in, your dealer won't be able to do anything until there is a software update, which as far as I know hasn't been released outside of manufacturing yet.

crash8168
09-24-2005, 12:17 PM

Thanks for any help! ~k
programming with the latest software will now take care of this. CIP 19.01

gxbbmw525
09-29-2005, 08:58 AM
06 525xi - Fairfax BMW, VA - Service folks told me it a software problem and that they are expecting a iDrive software update in Oct 05.
They say its not an issue and I shouldn't worry about it..

Any comment on that advise?

bmwguynj
10-09-2005, 05:40 PM
2006 530xi here (took delivery around 2 weeks ago), I don't have this problem yet, but you never know. After reading crash's reply on the cause and the many accounts of this problem, it seems almost all the new 5 series would have this problem without a software update. Maybe mine is already updated (although delivery was in last September) which is why I have not seen this problem yet.

reb03
10-09-2005, 07:44 PM
"battery drain" warning that appeared in my message center. My car never had any problems (ie not starting etc) from the initial message center warning but over the next week the battery icon would randomly appear in the dashboard area along with an icon of a car on a lift getting service.
My car's going in for this exact problem tomorrow :mad: . I'll report back what they say.

reb03
10-09-2005, 07:45 PM
I should have read all the above posts before I responded. Sounds like this is a simple software update and I'll have this done Tuesday.

bmwguynj
10-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Check out the link below and scroll down a little to show the PDF file posted with the software update info (High Battery Drain Fix).

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=16455&st=60

reb03
10-10-2005, 08:42 AM
Check out the link below and scroll down a little to show the PDF file posted with the software update info (High Battery Drain Fix).

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=16455&st=60
Thanks bmwguy. Since my service advisor hasn't heard about the problem I printed the bulletin and will take it with me to the dealer this afternoon.

bmwguynj
10-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks bmwguy. Since my service advisor hasn't heard about the problem I printed the bulletin and will take it with me to the dealer this afternoon.

No problem reb03, that's what we are all here for to support each other. What a great team we all are! Good luck and keep us updated on your service visit.

tcoz
10-10-2005, 01:52 PM
Software was updated on my 530xiT last Friday and it took care of the problem. It's definitely a software fix and my dealer had the updated software so yours should as well.

reb03
10-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Software was updated on my 530xiT last Friday and it took care of the problem. It's definitely a software fix and my dealer had the updated software so yours should as well.
How long did your dealer have to keep your car? I got a call from my service advisor this afternoon and she said they had just begun the software upgrade but that the download would take 8-9 hours! This seems extreme to me but I really have no idea how long a complete software upgrade should take.

reb03
10-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Well, got my car back today. The latest software has been installed and my fingers are crossed....

hp2
10-21-2005, 12:16 PM
I am also experiencing a high battery drain warning in my 2006 525i. It occurs every morning. It does not reappear after initially starting the car reversing out of the garage, shutting the engine off, then immediately restarting the car. I only have 430 miles on my car. This is my first BMW and am very displeased. My next car will be a lexus. I have an appointment with my dealership in Edmond, Oklahoma this month. This appears to be a more pervasive problem than previously thought. I have already emailed bmwusa. Their response was that I am not driving my car enough. I thought their response was absurd. If everyone with this problem would email BMW then maybe they will really begin to find a solution.

reb03
10-21-2005, 03:02 PM
I am also experiencing a high battery drain warning in my 2006 525i. It occurs every morning. It does not reappear after initially starting the car reversing out of the garage, shutting the engine off, then immediately restarting the car. I only have 430 miles on my car. This is my first BMW and am very displeased. My next car will be a lexus. I have an appointment with my dealership in Edmond, Oklahoma this month. This appears to be a more pervasive problem than previously thought. I have already emailed bmwusa. Their response was that I am not driving my car enough. I thought their response was absurd. If everyone with this problem would email BMW then maybe they will really begin to find a solution.
CIP 19.01 solves the "High Battery Drain" warning. Depending on when you wrote BMWNA (CIP 19.01 is a recent software update) their response may not be too crazy since letting your car sit for a long period of time can discharge the battery. Tell your dealer you need the CIP 19.01 software update. I just had it done and it solved the warning at start up.

tranctk
12-10-2005, 12:26 PM
I just had my 2006 530i for 4 days (140 miles) and the engine won't start this morning. Apparently the battery was all drained. It is being towed to a local dealership. It is probably due to the same problems most of you had.

bmwNC
02-09-2006, 08:14 PM
I have read this post and it seems everyone is seeing this battry drain light, except me!:(

My Battery is dying! No Warning! I open the door and the CD changer starts cycling immediately, key in my hand.

Happened the 2nd day I took ownership, AT THE DEALERSHIP! Service guy checked and said, "there is nothing wrong"! :dunno: It is very random, not happened in several weeks (but has died about 8 times total), it happened again tonight!

$60k for this car!!!!! Heading to dealer in the AM. i-Drive update applied few months ago WHEN i-DRIVE DISPLAY DIED and had to be REPLACED!

Makes me reconsider BMW now, especially since the 99 540 I WAS Driving had the rear bearing go out at 105k miles; It had a perfect service record and was pampered! :mad:

:thumbdwn: German Engineering is beginning to look like FORD! :thumbdwn:

I will update if BMW Dupership can find a CAUSE and SOLUTION!

ralphg
02-19-2006, 06:48 AM
I had this problem and it was resolved by upgrading the software. It took about 6 hours to finish. I haven't had the problem since.

It's I believe the 19.0.01 blah blah blah upgrade. Call your dealer and ask them. HOpe this helps.

325ic a beer
02-19-2006, 10:44 AM
What has happened to BMW's quality control?
Am I alone in seeing this blatantly exposed throught this site or what??
This battery drain issue seems to be so prevalent . It is an atrocity that these beautiful cars can't be near perfect on release to the buyer!~!!
It is utter and complete bulls%@T.

bethesda driver
04-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Got my 530iT wagon a month ago. Day after I got it, seat heater wouldn't work for a day; then it did. Then the controls to move the front seats would't work for a day; then they did. Sometimes automatic headlight feature goes wonky (same for my husband's 2003 530i sedan). Last week I got a message that AWD was malfunctioning. Drove the car to and from work (13 miles RT). Next day it wouldn't start. Battery was drained. Car is in shop now having control module replaced. Never got the low battery indicator. Shop says the button that lowers the back tailgate wasn't sensed as being off, so it stayed on even when tailgate is closed. Car will be ready tomorrow. My confidence is low. I had a lot of electical problems with my 2003 525iT wagon and really considered going back to Lexus, but I love the convenience of the wagon. My son took my Lexus ES300, which never has had a moment's problem in 13 years, to college. I've considered asking for it back. . . I love to drive BMWs but the problems are irritating.

snkpkp
07-24-2006, 01:28 PM
my car shows a battery sign with the messege BATTERY NOT BEING CHARGED but everything seems to be just fine. Took it to service, they said nothing is wrong and they did some sof resets and now back again same problem. But there is really nothing wrong, alternator is working, battery giving 12 volts + ....i am so worried...its only been 2000km/ 3 weeks since i had this vehicle .....any ideas anyone?

rama_e
06-14-2008, 04:45 PM
I am having this problem now. I have already had upgraded my idrive software about a year ago after few crashes. I am fed up with this car. I have had so many problems since the first day I've acquired about 20 months ago. I don't know if I will ever buy another BMW again. This is my second BMW, I've owned a 2003 325i but did not have this much problem beside the bad ignition coils with was replaced under warranty back then.
Here are my issues in the past:
i-drive crash few times
Break squeals with numerous trips to the stealership until they could replicate the noise, they wouldn't replace it. in the end, they finally did.
Hard-brake pedal at start up. Couldn't be fixed until now. They tried last time.
TPM malfunction.
Now, high battery drain, SRS Airbag malfunction, Service Engine Soon light

stilldre54
07-20-2014, 06:48 AM
I have a 2006 530i started having the high battery drain warning light come on a couple of days a go I am wondering if the broken wires I repair that were preventing my trunk from lacking and unlacking properly may have started this any way the car won' start after sitting over night, any insight into how to get to the bottom of this problem?