PDA

View Full Version : Well, I finally replaced my E46-- With a 545i!

remington
07-02-2005, 01:20 PM
I just upgraded to a loaded 2005 E60 545i with Nav, premium stereo, sport pkg,the works.

The power difference is AMAZING!

Qship
07-02-2005, 03:39 PM
I just upgraded to a loaded 2005 E60 545i with Nav, premium stereo, sport pkg,the works.

The power difference is AMAZING!

SSSwwwweeeeeeeeeetttttt!!!!!!!!!!!! MT? SMG? ST?

remington
07-02-2005, 05:44 PM
SSSwwwweeeeeeeeeetttttt!!!!!!!!!!!! MT? SMG? ST?

Steptronic. I'm lazy. Here's the details:

2005 545i titanium silver metallic/black dakota leather/black wood.
steptronic
sport package
navigation & voice command
park assist
xenon adapting headlights
active steering control
cold weather pkg (heated seats/steering wheel/headlight washers)
split folding rear seats
premium sound system
sunroof
bluetooth
runflat tires

basically the only option I didn't get was HUD & active cruise control

This thing is UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE. I can run the whole inside of my car with voice commands.

Double Vanos
07-02-2005, 06:54 PM
You lucky dog! Lately i've been sweating the 545 models and i want one. Personally i find the new 5 series body style amazingly beautiful am i the only one?

Anyways sweet ride how about some more pics?

machmeter
07-02-2005, 07:22 PM
You lucky dog! Lately i've been sweating the 545 models and i want one. Personally i find the new 5 series body style amazingly beautiful am i the only one?

Anyways sweet ride how about some more pics?
You're not alone. I'm on the fence about getting a 545 in a year or so.

Nice car :)

cdebnil
07-02-2005, 08:22 PM
So beautiful....I want more pics! I want one now too. How's the handling compared to your e46?

TISILE46ZHP
07-02-2005, 08:37 PM
I have to admit that I am converted. When the 5's first came out I was less than enamored with it- thought it was too Japanese looking (the rear tail lights still look like a Subaru WRX!) And the front lights look positively feline. However after seeing them actually on the road, the whole is better than the parts and this car has ROAD PRESENCE LIKE NO OTHER! I just think the 5's look WAY COOL now. My gripes are still thus:

They are prohibitively expensive that 545 must have been in the 60k+ range? New Acura RL may not be as nice but is about 20k less with an 8 cylinder, Maybe I can live with that??? And I really dont like the interiors of the 5's they are nice but just not really "special" - not looking for gadgets but the inside is just does not do it for me. But those special sports seats they have are THRONES and are second to none!
And the sound systems in the Japanese competitors are WAY superior to ANYTHING that BMW puts out- it is as simple as that.

All that being said, when I tire of my ZHP in about 10 years, will probably upgrade to a 2nd gen 5- if I still ahve the means. I really am married to my E46ZHP - think I will mod it and keep it fresh for quite a while

remington
07-02-2005, 10:36 PM
I hated the look of the new 5 series when it first came out, but it really grew on me. Yes, the sticker price was about $66k. (I didn't pay sticker but the dealer was in no hurry to discount it since he doesn't get that many 545i's and according to him they don't last long) I truly enjoyed my E46, it was my first BMW and really won me over, but it was just too small for me both personally and although I rarely drove with other people in the car, when I did need to put my kids or heaven forbid an adult in the back seat, it was cramped.

This thing with the sports package is just wicked to drive, it has thrust that literally pushes you back into your seat. With way-under 6 second 0-60 times and incredible dynamic suspension I feel like I'm driving a 911 until I turn my head and notice the big back seat. I love it. The 5 series is a solid platform and the 530 makes much more sense for most people, but this 545 is just blowing me away. The ride is firmer than I was expecting, I suspect most people in the demographic buying this car would prefer the standard suspension. It is a MUCH firmer ride than my non-sport E46.

The active steering is a trip. You definitely will want to put it in the curb the first few right hand turns you take at low speeds. I love it-- I can do a u-turn without even a full turn of the wheel. It's hard to describe without driving it.

People definitely notice it. With those big 18 inch wheels and the wierd surfacing and the shark fin on the roof it it looks like it's from another planet. Say what you want about Chris Bangle (and I have) I do think the direction he has taken BMW styling will stand the test of time.

Matthew330Ci
07-02-2005, 11:03 PM
New Acura RL may not be as nice but is about 20k less with an 8 cylinder, Maybe I can live with that???

The RL is a V6...

icemanjs4
07-02-2005, 11:59 PM
I got the opportunity to test drive a 545i during the Suze Komen event. I have to say that of all the cars at the event (6series convertible, 545i, Z4, 330i ZHP, etc), the 545 was the only one that simply blew me away. The handling was unflappable, and the power - WOW (and that was with an automatic- I can only imagine what it would be like with a stick). I didn't like the interior layout that much, but - with that car - I think my eyes would be glued to the road.

Congrats on the car!!!!!

tehkao
07-03-2005, 12:11 AM
I think the new 5 series is the most beautiful car I've ever seen(I used to to think the E46 was the most beautiful). I can't believe it's by the same person who made the horrid E90 designs.

machmeter
07-03-2005, 12:30 AM
How does it feel, compared to the 3er, in terms of size? A lot bigger? Just a little? Nimble? Easy to park downtown?

remington
07-03-2005, 12:58 AM
How does it feel, compared to the 3er, in terms of size? A lot bigger? Just a little? Nimble? Easy to park downtown?

It feels bigger. When you sit in the drivers seat you have much more headroom and you feel smaller inside the car than inside the E46. I am 6 foot 1 and generally drive with the seat all the way back, and I can comfortably sit "behind myself" in this car. It isn't huge, I would compare the rear seat room to the current honda accord for example, but it is significantly bigger than the E46. My response when I drove it and sat in it is that it feels like a full-size car, and the E46 really doesn't (NOT that this is a bad thing, a full-size car is not for everyone.).

It doesn't drive a lot bigger if you know what I mean, i don't feel like I'm piloting a ship like I do in some full size cars.

It is very nimble. It does have park control which means that my front and rear bumpers have sensors in them and an image of the car shows up on the large nav screen when parking that shows everything around me, so it's easier to park than any other car I've driven for that reason.

machmeter
07-03-2005, 01:05 AM
That's interesting. Thank you! :) I think I like the idea of a more comfortable ride and better quality materials and more tech, but I'm just really concerned about the external dimensions and parking and losing that small car feeling. I'll have to drive one when I have a chance.

:thumbup:

Moderato
07-03-2005, 06:23 AM
This thread has made me think 2 thoughts.

1) I must make more money.

2) I must win the lottery.

:)

westface
07-03-2005, 07:28 AM
Sorry, the e60 is an abomination. It will not stand the test of time and will be remembered as one of the worst of a bizarre era of styling that started with something in the drinking water in Japan & Korea and now has BMW mimicking them for reasons I can't explain. We can only hope that this temporary insanity will fade like it did with the American car Co.'s in the mid 70's.

remington
07-03-2005, 07:30 AM
Sorry, the e60 is an abomination. It will not stand the test of time and will be remembered as one of the worst of a bizarre era of styling that started with something in the drinking water in Japan & Korea and now has BMW mimicking them for reasons I can't explain. We can only hope that this temporary insanity will fade like it did with the American car Co.'s in the mid 70's.

You could be right but I don't think so.

Qship
07-04-2005, 12:50 AM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamen, brother. Kabuki, anyone?

My old e36 did well for 10 years. With any luck, the e46 will last as well, and I won't have to worry about the current crop of Bangles.

Forsanet
07-04-2005, 07:20 AM
I've been keeping my eye on the E90, and after having done so, I really do think that the E46's styling will withstand the test of time. :thumbup: And congrats on your E60! :thumbup:

remington
07-04-2005, 08:46 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamen, brother. Kabuki, anyone?

My old e36 did well for 10 years. With any luck, the e46 will last as well, and I won't have to worry about the current crop of Bangles.

Fortunately you have a nice selection of sport sedans from other manufacturers out there if you don't like the current BMW style. If you are planning on sitting out the Bangle design influence you may find yourself waiting a while--he's not going anywhere and what you see is the future of the brand. Sales are good too. Personally I do not enjoy driving 10 year old cars unless I have to (and I don't).

TISILE46ZHP
07-04-2005, 08:59 AM
The RL is a V6...

Your right I meant the Infinity M- I get those confused all the time- the both look so bland...err equal!
But they both are 20k less than a 545 with almost as much HP and a LOT of electronic do dads and comfort of course.
The 545 looks WAYYY cooler however - the others look Nippon-bland to me.

TISILE46ZHP
07-04-2005, 09:13 AM
FIrst of all chalk up the E60 and the E90 and the 6 series to Adrian Van Hooydonk- he was the principal manager- Bangle was overall design chief. Bangle wanted the "flame surfaced" sides and such. And Bangle was principal to that AWESOMELY BAD TRUNK lid on the 7- even the new 7 redesign ( a very good job!) STILL has that "tacked on look" to the trunk. And the trunk shutlines on the 6 and 7 are so wide a horse could make love to them! Clearly not BMW likw at all.

Also the fact that the Euro laws madate front end crumple zones for pedestrian safety makes the overhangs in the front bigger than the E46 (I MUCH prefer the snub nose look of the E46 and longer trunk rear overhang- porportioned perfect to my eye) Hence the big Audi freight train looking fronts - the E90 disguises it nicely but it clearly sticks out more than the E46. Notice how the bumper sticks out further than the headlights and gently slopes forward- a very nice design given the constraints they have had to work with. But I simply am not smitten with the E90 like I was the E46 ZHP when I saw it on the stealers lot.

As far as most of the design work goes, we will see how it works out in the future- only time will tell.
The E60 does have a little too much Jpaanese in it, but overall it has great road presence but for the mostly conservative, rabid BMW fans will it stand up 10 years from now as a "classic" or at least DESIRABLE??? Lets hope that we are all around 10 years from now to see!

PS: I think my ZHP will be ;)

Robbyrh10
07-04-2005, 11:17 AM
I love your car! The 545 is a sweet car. Either steptronic or manny, it rules:)

When does the 550 come out?

car_for_mom
07-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Congratulations, remington! :thumbup: Could I offer you some Grey Poupon mustard? :p (oh, sorry, wrong car - that involved Rolls-Royces (hmm, still in the Bayerische Motoren Werke family, though!)

Like others previously mentioned, I've toyed with the idea of a 530 for the next Bimmer, but I really love the manuverability and the size of the 3-Series. However, the extra room does come in handy when Tax Deductions want you to give their friends a ride as well!

New Bimmer in the house! Yeah! :thumbup:

Spartacus_33
07-05-2005, 03:01 PM
I have to admit that I am converted. When the 5's first came out I was less than enamored with it- thought it was too Japanese looking (the rear tail lights still look like a Subaru WRX!) And the front lights look positively feline. However after seeing them actually on the road, the whole is better than the parts and this car has ROAD PRESENCE LIKE NO OTHER! I just think the 5's look WAY COOL now. My gripes are still thus:

They are prohibitively expensive that 545 must have been in the 60k+ range? New Acura RL may not be as nice but is about 20k less with an 8 cylinder, Maybe I can live with that??? And I really dont like the interiors of the 5's they are nice but just not really "special" - not looking for gadgets but the inside is just does not do it for me. But those special sports seats they have are THRONES and are second to none!
And the sound systems in the Japanese competitors are WAY superior to ANYTHING that BMW puts out- it is as simple as that.

All that being said, when I tire of my ZHP in about 10 years, will probably upgrade to a 2nd gen 5- if I still ahve the means. I really am married to my E46ZHP - think I will mod it and keep it fresh for quite a while
I share many of your comments.... however... please take another listen to the Logic 7 sound system option in the E60..... I think you'll change your mind about "the sound systems in the Japanese competitors are WAY superior to ANYTHING that BMW puts out- it is as simple as that".

If you think the sport seats are nice...... go sit in a 5er with the comfort seats option! :thumbup:

1Dreamer
07-05-2005, 05:05 PM
I wasn't overly fond of the e60 at first either which is why I bought an e39 last year. With the e60 having been out for about a year by then, e39 prices dropped to the point where it was hard to beat how much car you were getting for the money. But over the past year the e60 has grown on me so much that I find myself staring with admiration every time I see one.

I now think my initial reaction was just a matter of adjusting to how different it was from what we've come to expect a BMW to look like - which is a car that never changed so much that you couldn't instantly recognize a new generation as the successor to the previous one. That's why some people bought them but it's also why others wouldn't, and all companies are constantly trying to figure out how to increase sales. Sometimes that means making changes that will alienate some old customers in the hope that they'll attract a greater number of new ones. That's business and it was a business decision. Some previously loyal customers may not like it, but it's impossible to please everyone and some people are better at dealing with change than others. It took me about a year, but once I stopped trying to associate the e60 with prior models and what I expected a BMW to look like and just started looking at for what it looks like now independent of the past, I started seeing what a beautiful and bold looking car it is.

What surprises me are people who will see a post like this one by someone who's thrilled with their new car and decide they need to announce that they think it's an abomination. There are plenty of general threads about the new designs where they can Bangle bash freely without having to do it here. Why would anyone want to rain on someone's parade by saying their new car is ugly unless they either have a chip on their shoulder or are just lacking in social skills?

Anyway, congrats, Remington! I think it's a beautiful car and I'm officially jealous. :p :D

hpowders
07-06-2005, 04:18 AM
I wasn't overly fond of the e60 at first either which is why I bought an e39 last year. With the e60 having been out for about a year by then, e39 prices dropped to the point where it was hard to beat how much car you were getting for the money. But over the past year the e60 has grown on me so much that I find myself staring with admiration every time I see one.

I now think my initial reaction was just a matter of adjusting to how different it was from what we've come to expect a BMW to look like - which is a car that never changed so much that you couldn't instantly recognize a new generation as the successor to the previous one. That's why some people bought them but it's also why others wouldn't, and all companies are constantly trying to figure out how to increase sales. Sometimes that means making changes that will alienate some old customers in the hope that they'll attract a greater number of new ones. That's business and it was a business decision. Some previously loyal customers may not like it, but it's impossible to please everyone and some people are better at dealing with change than others. It took me about a year, but once I stopped trying to associate the e60 with prior models and what I expected a BMW to look like and just started looking at for what it looks like now independent of the past, I started seeing what a beautiful and bold looking car it is.

What surprises me are people who will see a post like this one by someone who's thrilled with their new car and decide they need to announce that they think it's an abomination. There are plenty of general threads about the new designs where they can Bangle bash freely without having to do it here. Why would anyone want to rain on someone's parade by saying their new car is ugly unless they either have a chip on their shoulder or are just lacking in social skills?

Anyway, congrats, Remington! I think it's a beautiful car and I'm officially jealous. :p :D

Here! Here! Well said! My 545i is awaiting transport and I can hardly wait for it to arrive!
I'll be at the docks looking for the ship. :eeps:

Ågent99
07-06-2005, 03:13 PM
The 545i styling definately had to grow on me...it is still growing as a matter of fact.

However, as soon as you DRIVE the E60 (specifically for me, the 545i), you will not want to go back to an E39. It is an amazing vehicle to maneuver and the power is incredble. It is just a dream to drive.

I think by now that I am fully into this car styling-wise and even my initial woes with the interior are ancient history. I just love this car...fun, fun, fun!

Moderato
07-06-2005, 04:04 PM
The 545i styling definately had to grow on me...it is still growing as a matter of fact.

However, as soon as you DRIVE the E60 (specifically for me, the 545i), you will not want to go back to an E39. It is an amazing vehicle to maneuver and the power is incredble. It is just a dream to drive.

I think by now that I am fully into this car styling-wise and even my initial woes with the interior are ancient history. I just love this car...fun, fun, fun!

I don't have an E60, but somehow I feel the same way. :confused:

330soon2b
07-13-2005, 12:39 PM
This thing with the sports package is just wicked to drive, it has thrust that literally pushes you back into your seat. With way-under 6 second 0-60 times and incredible dynamic suspension

ZHP 330i has 5.6 sec. 0 to 60 time per C&D. According to the BMWUSA website, 545i has 0 to 60 time of 5.7 sec. Sounds like the car "feels" faster than it actually is.

calverbmw
07-13-2005, 01:05 PM
like many of you, i was on the fence when the new styling came out. i think i preferred the old model at the time but after seeing it on the road, i was hooked. thanks to you guys on this board, i ordered one for a sept euro deliver without even test driving it. i've been inside and love the interior. a friend test drove a 530 and a 545 and he said if you have the extra $$$, go for the bigger engine since it's a very noticeable difference in power. that sold me. it won't beat my r6 when doing 0-60 (since that rice rocket is at around 3 secs as opposed to 6) but it'll be way easier to take the kids for a ride.

E60orBust
07-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Steptronic. I'm lazy. Here's the details:

2005 545i titanium silver metallic/black dakota leather/black wood.
steptronic
sport package
navigation & voice command
park assist
xenon adapting headlights
active steering control
cold weather pkg (heated seats/steering wheel/headlight washers)
split folding rear seats
premium sound system
sunroof
bluetooth
runflat tires

basically the only option I didn't get was HUD & active cruise control

This thing is UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE. I can run the whole inside of my car with voice commands.

Other than the color and my powered, rear sunshade, thats exactly the same setup on my 545i. You know it's a beast of a sports car when the sales guy is telling you to accelerate MORE into the turn (test drive sold me). You should find the wheels on there very easy to clean. I can get the inside brake dust by sliding my hand right through the spokes.

Kudos man :thumbup: What kind of deal did you get when you traded in your E46?

remington
07-13-2005, 09:36 PM
ZHP 330i has 5.6 sec. 0 to 60 time per C&D. According to the BMWUSA website, 545i has 0 to 60 time of 5.7 sec. Sounds like the car "feels" faster than it actually is.

Not that it really matters but as many know BMWUSA purposefully lowballs performance figures and most car mags have run the 545i 6 speed manual in the low 5s. But this car isn't a boy toy racer. A fast car is about much more than a simple 0-60 time. Both cars are fast. Frankly my car feels faster from 60-100 than it does from 0-60. There's something about a V8 done German-style that really feels fast.

remington
07-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Kudos man :thumbup: What kind of deal did you get when you traded in your E46?

I dind't get any deal, I was coming off lease.

JG
07-16-2005, 07:09 PM
like many of you, i was on the fence when the new styling came out. i think i preferred the old model at the time but after seeing it on the road, i was hooked. r

I'm with you. When the new 5 first appeared I was on the fence (mostly from viewing photos and getting caught up in the 'how-dare-they-change-a-classic' rant).

But after the first time, you see a 5 series gliding up into your rear view mirror on a high speed expressway - you have to be impressed.

The newer BMW designs are generally brilliant, as have most of the past models been for their time.

One thing I will say.....with the complexity of flame type design; you have to see the design in person before passing judgement. Light and angles play an important role in our perception of the image.

It just takes some people a little longer to adjust to design advancements :angel:

Same is true in art, Architecture, industrial design and fashion.

Double Vanos
07-16-2005, 10:15 PM

The 545 has to be quicker to 60 than the 330 ZHP if not all that torque will suck up the 330 and leave it behind. BMWs V8s are no joke they pull like a locomotive.