PDA

View Full Version : 1997 M3 - Please Help!!

asproskoupidi
07-03-2005, 04:34 PM
I own a 1997 M3, all of a sudden yesterday I started hearing a loud rattling noise from the rear left side. Whenever I hit a bump, it sounds as though someone was taking a wooden log and hitting my trunk. Is this from the shock, struts etc.? How much will this cost.

On a separate note, my check engine light comes on all the time. I have taken it to the dealership several times and they fix it initially and it comes back. First they told me it was my gas tank cap, then my computer. These 2 times I didn't get charged. Last time they banged me saying it was the tank venting system. The light came back again, anyone know what this could be the cause of?

Thanks for all your help and input!!

Pinecone
07-03-2005, 04:54 PM
a) Sounds like Rear Shock Mount. DO a search on this and RSM, lots of threads.

b) Take it to a GOOD independant service place.

kevinm3
07-15-2005, 08:01 AM
I own a 1997 M3, all of a sudden yesterday I started hearing a loud rattling noise from the rear left side. Whenever I hit a bump, it sounds as though someone was taking a wooden log and hitting my trunk. Is this from the shock, struts etc.? How much will this cost.

On a separate note, my check engine light comes on all the time. I have taken it to the dealership several times and they fix it initially and it comes back. First they told me it was my gas tank cap, then my computer. These 2 times I didn't get charged. Last time they banged me saying it was the tank venting system. The light came back again, anyone know what this could be the cause of?

Thanks for all your help and input!!

I have a 95 m3 and i had simalar problems. The rattling in my case was the rear shock. I have billstiens and it seems that over time the insert starts to slide out from where the shock meets the frame. If that is the case you will want to replace both rear shocks and probably the moutning assembly. This is fairly simple to do. I don't do a lot of mechanical stuff to my car but this is simple if you have a jack and a rachet set, do it yourself. You can buy the billstiens online at www.alleurasian.com for about $120 EACH. Don't buy them from the dealer. If you are doing the work you can access the top of the shock mount above the wheel wells in the trunk. Don't be afraid to be a little rough with the carpet, it goes right back. As far as the check engine light, i'm not sure what the problem is but i think the reason it goes of when you take it to the dealer is because when your battery i disconnected your light will stay of for a couple days then come back on. Hope this helps.

stvcrystal
07-31-2005, 07:23 PM
I have a 97 M3. Definitely sounds like the shock mounts. I replaced mine and the noise stopped.