PDA

View Full Version : Tire noise -- 545i

mdcyr
07-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Has anyone experienced a marked increase in tire noise on original run flat Dunlops? After about 10K miles the noise increased . . . now at 14K it is downright annoying. I was told by another owner that the wheels come aligned with negative camber and since you can't rotate the tires, the road noise develops.

Appreciate any insights.

Spartacus_33
07-05-2005, 10:08 AM
Has anyone experienced a marked increase in tire noise on original run flat Dunlops? After about 10K miles the noise increased . . . now at 14K it is downright annoying. I was told by another owner that the wheels come aligned with negative camber and since you can't rotate the tires, the road noise develops.

Appreciate any insights.
I've read many complaints about the road noise from the RF Dunlops. Some have even been lucky enough to get their dealers to replace them (under warranty).

I only have 3K on mine, (same tires as yours) and have not noticed anything yet.

CapeBimmer
07-05-2005, 10:45 AM
I took off the Dunlops when I bought the car, have Bridgestone Pole SO3 tires and have developed the same problem. It sounds like I have snow tires on the car :mad: .

I have heard that the dealers are replacing the Dunlops (if they have less then 10,000 miles on them) but I think this is a bandaid for a bigger problem - New tires make the car quiet again but the same problem will probably surface after another 8 to 10,000 miles.

BMWNA told me that the suspension is set up to handle well and that is the trade off. That the car is "hard" on tires and that I have to live with the noise. Not a good answer in my opinion. :tsk:

Seems to me that there must be a way of insulating the tire/suspension noise from the car.

remington
07-05-2005, 11:43 AM
I have only put 200 miles on my 545i sport but I was surprised at the amount of tire noise. It's a trade-off, performance vs. comfort/quiet. It would be nice if there were no tradeoffs required though. I suppose they could dampen the suspension and put on quieter tires and then we could post complaints about bad handling ;)

stream
07-05-2005, 01:03 PM
You're not the only one--check this out:
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bulletin_graphic_temp/B360205g.htm

Spartacus_33
07-05-2005, 01:20 PM
VERY good Stream....... thanks!

Ågent99
07-05-2005, 01:50 PM
I have stuck this thread...I think that TIS infor will be very valuable over the next year or two!

Thanks, Stream!

:thumbup:

heezyo2o
07-05-2005, 02:22 PM

Wow, good deal.

I have almose 18,000 and thought I was out of luck, but I guess I'll give it a try at the dealer.

With 10K miles, I thought things were fine, but the tires have increasing gotten louder over time. I actually thought it may have been the brakes or even the clutch as I really notice the sound when coming to a stop.

Spartacus_33
07-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Wow, good deal.

I have almose 18,000 and thought I was out of luck, but I guess I'll give it a try at the dealer.

With 10K miles, I thought things were fine, but the tires have increasing gotten louder over time. I actually thought it may have been the brakes or even the clutch as I really notice the sound when coming to a stop.
I think it may just be the tire manufacturer (Dunlop)!

I had Dunlop SP 9000s on my E39 and after about 20-25K they howled, expecially when slowing down to a stop or to make a turn. I too thought it was brake related... but replaced them with some cheaper tires when I was selling it...... and the noise went away.

The first thing I checked when I did my ED was look at what tires were on the E60. I was disappointed... Dunlops! So far, these on my E60 are fine.

Thanks Agent99 for making this a sticky! We may all need to find this thread again.

wagonman
07-05-2005, 03:57 PM
with runflats after reading these posts? i have said from day one that runflats are not the way to go. i was poo-pooed by others. i opted for all seasons. runflats may well be the wave of the future, but the technology is simply not there yet.

Spartacus_33
07-06-2005, 08:23 AM
with runflats after reading these posts? i have said from day one that runflats are not the way to go. i was poo-pooed by others. i opted for all seasons. runflats may well be the wave of the future, but the technology is simply not there yet.
You "opted" for all seasons? Did they give you a choice with the wagon?

wagonman
07-06-2005, 09:14 AM
You "opted" for all seasons? Did they give you a choice with the wagon?
yes, they did give me a choice. since the wagon is an (x-drive) AWD and the runflats say, not recommended for snow and ice, something had to give. why get an AWD drive car that is not recommended for snow and ice? it didnt make sense to me. also, i have heard that the runflats are noisier and rougher riding. i am not a sport driver, more into comfort. also, i bought this car and expect to have it for at least 5 years. that said, i know i will be replacing tires. runflats are way more expensive to replace. plus the fact that bmw does not recommend repairing runflats. i have had way more nails oin my tires over the past 7 years than i have had flats on the freeway. this was my logic anyway. i have no doubt that runflats will be the way to go in the future, but for now i thought the all seasons were a better choice for me.

CJsCar
07-06-2005, 09:21 AM

After you're done straining your shoulder from patting yourself on the back you should know that because one manufacturer had a problem with a tire carcass it doesn't apply to all runflats. :loco:

The Dunlop DSST's on the E60 do have a plroblem and your BMW dealership can help you with a new set for little or no money depending on your usage.

mrbelk
07-06-2005, 10:37 AM
I think it was more of a case of a specific lot of the Dunlops. I've read that Dunlop have changed either the compound or construction on the DSST's to correct the inside shoulder wear issue on tires made sometime after Q2 2004.

My 545 is in the shop right now having them replaced. I was hopeful that the dealership wouldn't have any available and would have to resort to some other brand, but no such luck.

At the very least, I won't have to buy new tires before my lease runs out. Saves me over $1000. Thank you BMW and Dunlop.

-MrB

wagonman
07-06-2005, 10:39 AM
After you're done straining your shoulder from patting yourself on the back you should know that because one manufacturer had a problem with a tire carcass it doesn't apply to all runflats. :loco:

The Dunlop DSST's on the E60 do have a plroblem and your BMW dealership can help you with a new set for little or no money depending on your usage.
i am not patting my self on the back. i am merely reacting to people automatically thinking that just because bmw is pushing runflats with sport packages, that they are neccesarily better than regular tires. i like asking why are they better. i feel for some they may the right choice. for me, with the x-drive they didnt make sense.

mswaz
07-06-2005, 02:18 PM
On my 545 Sport, I replaced my Dunlops with Michelin Pilot A/S at about 15,000 miles this was after the dealer replaced the two rear Dunlops for excessive wear and noise. The noise on the others was simply unbearable. I have about 8,000 miles on the Michelins now and no increased tire noise yet. The Dunlops started getting load after about 5k miles

mdcyr
07-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded with a wealth of information ... especially the TSB! I'm going to contact the dealer and see what I can get.

Thanks!

CapeBimmer
07-06-2005, 07:09 PM
In my opinion and also what I was told yesterday on the phone by BMWNA the problem is caused by the alignment specs of the car. I was told that the car's suspension is setup for superior handling . . . to make it handle better . . . that causes fast tire wear - the car is "hard" on tires.

It is "nice" that Dunlop appears to be replacing the tires, but is this really a BMW problem?

What about people like me who took the Dunlops off when the car was purchased? We are experiencing the same problem as owners of cars that have the OEM tires but have no recourse. Not fair . . .

BMW and/or BMWNA should replace our tires too and maybe back off the negative camber specs slightly that perhaps might reduce or elminate the problem. .

Just my $.02

Boomer's 545i
07-11-2005, 10:22 PM
First post and I want to thank everyone, particularly the member that posted the Tech bulletin re Noise and vibration.
Just purchased a used 2004 545i (11,700 miles) e60 and noticed the noise that is greater than the tire noise on a C-5 which I traded for the 545i. I ran Goodyear, Firestone, and Kuhmo runflat and the Dunlops on the 5'r are noiser than any of these on the c-5. Also car/tires had tendency to hunt or track, very annoying. Also went to a local tire store that handle Dunlops and had them measure the tread depth across the tires. Sure enough each inner edge was worn between 1/32 & 2/32 more than outer edge.
Armed with this info I went to BMW Seattle to complain only I didn't get the chance to B**ch since Trent the Shop manager when hearing my complaint know exactly what the problem was and said they would replace the tires. SWEET!!!!!!!!!
He recommended getting alignment, agreed and I take the car in tommorrow for the new wrappings for my wheels. Thank you BIMMERFEST for providing the information and keep up the good work.
Next thing we need to collectively do is get an economical Blue Tooth solution for early DOB car like mine which was born on 10/03.
And for all you Puget Sound BMW owners, Seattle BMW's service thus far is outstanding.

mrbelk
07-12-2005, 06:01 AM
I just picked my 545 up from having the tires replaced under the service bulletin. No hassle, no red tape; the Nalley BMW service department just took care of it.

So far (with ~50 miles), no droning or howling. I'll be very curious to see what they sound like at 7000 miles; which is when the originals started howling.

Anyway, props to Dunlop and BMW for taking care of this.

-MrB

heezyo2o
07-13-2005, 01:38 AM
Does the dealer do an alignment when they put on new tires?

CJsCar
07-13-2005, 06:25 AM
Does the dealer do an alignment when they put on new tires?

Only if you are willing to pay for it, the action is for tire replacement only.

heezyo2o
07-14-2005, 01:03 AM
Does alignment cost more with active steering, or is it the same price?

perryhughes
07-19-2005, 04:25 PM
OH my God! You people just made my day. I have been complaining about the road noise for the past 10,000 miles. The dealer said I was crazy and that it sounded just like it should - yeah, perhaps if you turn the stereo way up. Just about at 19,000 miles on the tires :thumbup: .

NDROUIN
08-23-2005, 03:03 PM

Appreciate any insights.

Not only I have the same but I feel a slight vibration in the car seat, as if the tires were unbalanced or worn unevently.

In addition, I just change my 4 summer tires after 12 000 miles. They were finished. Is it normal?

bloughkelly@yah
08-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Our rear Dunlop runflat tire blew out on the highway, and both rear tires show exactly the wear described on this site. Service guys told us today that it must be related to how we drive! Didn't bother to mention the irregular tire wear warranty.

GSIRM3
08-31-2005, 02:23 PM
Anyone know if this problem with the Dunlop runflats has been resolved? Clearly, there are still some owners with problems, but I was wondering if they had 2004 cars. There has been some speculation that Dunlop might have changed the tread compound on the outer tread (or iner, depending on how you look at it) to prevent the premature wear. If that is the case, then owners of 2005 cars with the sport package and Dunlop runflats may not be experiencing the problem.

Some have said the problem is related to BMW factory alignment settings. If that is the case, it is also possible that BMW has changed specs for less negative camber, if that was causing the issue. In that case, I would also expect owners of 2005 cars to not have the problem.

I am very interested in this problem since I am thinking seriously of getting a remaining 2005 545i with sport package, but I don't want to have to deal with this problem. I don't buy BMW's explanation that the car is set up for good handeling and therefore will wear the tires out fast. I have a 2004 M3 which is obviously set up to handle well, and I do not have these types of tire issues. The rear tires do not last long (15K miles on average), but they wear evenly across the tread.

Thanks for any input.

Chnsky545i
09-16-2005, 09:54 PM
So here is the scoop everyone, I have a 2004 545i Sport, with the suspect tires. The production date is 01/2004. I brought my car in to the dealer today and a copy of the service link provided below. They are going to replace the tires free of charge, the dealer gets reimbursed by Dunlop/Goodyear. They strongly suggested that I get an alignment for $465, which I asked is covered by the 4yr 50k service warranty, and they said no. I am a little puzzled by this zero cost maintenance deal, I guess there is always fine print. Has anyone heard of alignments not being covered under the 4yr/50k zero cost service? Maybe I shouldn't be complaining, but seeing as this special alignment is a considerable cost it makes me second guess BMWs sales pitch tactics.
Has anyone else had their Dunlops replaced under this situation?
Jay (CHNSKY)

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins...mp/B360205g.htm

LINK sourced by: STREAM

GSIRM3
09-17-2005, 05:58 AM
So here is the scoop everyone, I have a 2004 545i Sport, with the suspect tires. The production date is 01/2004. I brought my car in to the dealer today and a copy of the service link provided below. They are going to replace the tires free of charge, the dealer gets reimbursed by Dunlop/Goodyear. They strongly suggested that I get an alignment for $465, which I asked is covered by the 4yr 50k service warranty, and they said no. I am a little puzzled by this zero cost maintenance deal, I guess there is always fine print. Has anyone heard of alignments not being covered under the 4yr/50k zero cost service? Maybe I shouldn't be complaining, but seeing as this special alignment is a considerable cost it makes me second guess BMWs sales pitch tactics.
Has anyone else had their Dunlops replaced under this situation?
Jay (CHNSKY)
I think an alignment is covered, but only during the first 12 months, or possibly even a shorter period of time after delivery of car.

wassy
09-17-2005, 04:45 PM
alignments are generally covered for a period of miles/months. I believe it is the first 2500 miles, but I could be wrong. some of it might just be goodwill by the dealer after about 1000 miles.

depending on the mileage on your car, I would ask the dealer to cover it as part of the new tire replacement. State that you wouldn't necessarily have had to had an alignment if the tires weren't bad.. However, I generally get an alignment about every 12,000 or more oftern, as needed.

Now, all that aside, $465 is an absolutely absurd price for an aligment. Most independant dealers charge what? $50,-60--$100? so BMW can maybe bilk us for $150-$200, which is still nutso. but $465... Now I know what keeps Vaseline the #1 lubricant! LOL!

Chnsky545i
09-17-2005, 07:27 PM
They claim that due to Steering Assist it requires a special alignment, but who knows. I asked if they can work with me on the amount for the alignment and the service advisor is going to ask management.
J

Me530
09-17-2005, 07:32 PM
Active Steering does indeed require a special setup when aligning.

Chnsky545i
09-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Well I picked my car back up today, and wow what a difference, absolutely no vibration coming from the steering wheel while driving and the car is silent and smooth as ever. I really hope this result lasts and is not simply because the tires are new. As the original ones got more and more worn on the inside edge the louder and worse the vibration got. I hope these replacement tires truely have a different compound as has been mentioned, to prevent the improper wear from occuring. So if any one else has issue with this problem, make sure to bring it in before 20k miles, or it wont be covered.

casper
09-24-2005, 09:25 AM
I have a 2004 545i sport, my Dunlops started roaring around 7k miles, but it got unbearable around 10 to 11k. That was Feb 2005, I went to my dealer and they told me I should go to tire manufacturer, they denied hearing about this problem, I contacted BMW NA and they also denied knowing about this problem even tough I was reading in some BMW boards that many had the problem. Finally, after trying with dealer and BMW NA with no results, Dunlop asked me to have an alignment done and charged me $110, they approved a 50% good will credit, I paid around $900 and installed new Eagle F1 (Dunlops were backordered), it was a nightmare to get them balanced, I had to go back many times and finally got them balanced at another location that had a Hunter machine. I have a bit over 7k miles in these new Good Years and the noise is back. It is not as bad as the Dunlops, but I suspect that it will be around 12k miles.

I believe the problem is with BMW and not the tires, some tires may be noisier than others, but this 545 is really hard on tires. I will have to live with noisy tires, my next BMW will not have sport package.

Miami545
10-17-2005, 06:14 PM
I just noticed the irregular tire wear yesterday. Had a service appt sheduled to replace a leaking winshield washer tank. Called the servie rep to inform of the tires and his reply was thaht the high performance tires only last 20k. Thank you Stream for the BMW TIS bulletin post. Now I have some ammo! Maybe I"ll toy with the service rep and let him "hang himself" on his story and then have him eat his BS. Much much happier now. Anohter example of the true statement informatin is POWER! Thanks again.

atlau
10-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Folks,

I have a E46 318i with 16" Michelins
Also just got a 12 month old 525i with 17" Dunlops.

I wish I had read this post before buying, but anyhow, I note that my 318i the tirenoise is very minimal (tires have done 30,000kms). The 525i, with 6000kms on the speedo, has much more tire noise.

My question: Any Australians out there who has managed to get their dealer to change the tires becuase of this problem??

I would be keen to get this service, as:-

1) The noise is pissing me off in a 90k car...
2) My much cheaper 318i is quieter on the tire noise
3) It would be nice to get 4 new tires anyway

Thanks guys,
Andrew

Chnsky545i
10-18-2005, 10:24 PM
Yes, I had about 18k+ and the service writer started to give me attitude, stating that the BMW Regional rep would have to sign off on it. It is such BS, because even in the bulletin, it outlines that Dunlop will reimburse BMW for the product and labor. Don't let them stray too far.

Helmar
12-08-2005, 04:43 AM
I was wondering if this problem is unique to the 545/550 or is it also an issue on the 530xi?

HBH

Chnsky545i
12-08-2005, 09:44 PM
I was wondering if this problem is unique to the 545/550 or is it also an issue on the 530xi?

HBH

This problem is specific to the DSST runflat Dunlop, the original compound was causing the tire to improperly wear in the inside edge and thus caused the tire to make noise and cause vibration.

BIG _AL
12-13-2005, 06:53 AM

HBH

Just a follow-up on this topic, I just wanted to know if the new 550 owners are experiencing any unwanted tire noise. If so, are the dealers still assisting in this problem?

Chnsky545i
12-13-2005, 01:36 PM
I am not sure if it aplies to the E60 2005 550, BMW is beinng vague on this problem.

As from what I understand the compund was changed in mid year of the 2004, so I don't believe it is still a problem. ow many miles do you have and how severe is the wear?
Jay

chuck92103
12-13-2005, 01:39 PM
I think all performance tires I have had in the past all have gotten noisy after 10k miles and really noisy after 15k, regardless if they were run flat or not.

I am not sure if it aplies to the E60 2005 550, BMW is beinng vague on this problem.

As from what I understand the compund was changed in mid year of the 2004, so I don't believe it is still a problem. ow many miles do you have and how severe is the wear?
Jay

BMWALLY
12-13-2005, 03:04 PM
Ive got 20k on my 2004 545i. Gone through 3 sets of new tires. They realigned, etc. Not fixed. Stilling roaring whereever I go... :mad:

Chnsky545i
12-13-2005, 03:27 PM
I am glad I didn't listen to their lecture about aligning the new set they put on at now charge. They wanted $400+ for the alignment and I opted not to since the car didn't pull to either side and only had 8k on it in just over one year. I think the R&D on this matter has not proven a solid fix as of yet. We shall see what the future brings us, remember first model buyers (myself included) are always test subjects, I guess it is the price we pay for being first to have one.

540i in OZ
12-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Having just ordered our 540i Sports, we still have the option of 18" r/f or 19" standards (same twin spoke wheel design). The demo had 19" r/f so we could not even try out the tyre options offered!
I felt the demo ride to be somewhat harsh over some rough patches and was advised that was due to the sport suspension and 19" r/fs. Having read all the dramas with R/Fs on this thread, I was wondering if it would be better to take the 19" standards. Are run flats actually that much safer, and if punctured can they be repaired or can inner-tubes be fitted?
Please help. Hans

525white
12-17-2005, 05:55 PM
and now the million dollar question:
i couldn't stand the noise and bought F1's a while back. i have the old tires still in the garage. will they give me some credit for these?
by the way, 10m on the f1's and no real nosie issue.

Thanks

TGray5
12-17-2005, 09:09 PM
and now the million dollar question:
i couldn't stand the noise and bought F1's a while back. i have the old tires still in the garage. will they give me some credit for these?
by the way, 10m on the f1's and no real nosie issue.

Thanks

Best bet is to put em up for sale on ebay.

my 05 545 r/f's are running great at 11k miles...and wearing very evenly and slowly...happy camper so far

Big Pete
12-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Thanks to all who've posted on this topic. I have been hopeful that the noise and vibration so many of you experienced would not appear in my car. But alas, at 10K miles, it sounds like I'm driving a Monster Truck!

I've contacted my dealer in Louisville and amazingly, he is disregarding the Service Bulletin (SIB360205) as irrlevant!! :dunno: In part because "anything from the Internet is erroneous." He must have assumed my knowledge of this SB is due to the well-informed netizens at bimmerfest.

Further, he cites the fact that BMW designed the E60 w/Sport Package to be a very high-performing automobile and as such "will sacrfice tire wear, vibration, and noise for grip and handling". Additionally, he said he knows of no situations where BMW has replaced all four tires at no cost to the owner :liar:

Can anyone confirm that aforementioned Service Bulletin is the most current one on this issue and that it is still being honored by BMW??

Also, any advice how best to escalate this issue within BMW if the dealer refuses would be appreciated. Thank you.

atlau
12-19-2005, 03:03 PM
Not sure if it'll help you guys - but I took the very same bulletin to my dealership in Artarmon, NSW, AUSTRALIA, and at first he said "oh that's a US bulletin - This is OS-TRUAL-LIA... I've never heard of anyone getting 4 free tires before - but just to make sure I'll check for ya". And he did.

And he found a very similar issue.

"Crikey!! You are right!! We do do 'em out here".

Long story short, they were kind enough to contact Dunlop - who came out to the dealership, inspected them, and consequently changed them.

The warranty is actually covered by DUNLOP and not by BMW, so he said if I have a problem with the new set, let 'em know and he'll rectify. He even apologised for the inconvenience caused to me.

Maybe you guys should move out here and buy Bimmers.

Thanks to all who've posted on this topic. I have been hopeful that the noise and vibration so many of you experienced would not appear in my car. But alas, at 10K miles, it sounds like I'm driving a Monster Truck!

I've contacted my dealer in Louisville and amazingly, he is disregarding the Service Bulletin (SIB360205) as irrlevant!! :dunno: In part because "anything from the Internet is erroneous." He must have assumed my knowledge of this SB is due to the well-informed netizens at bimmerfest.

Further, he cites the fact that BMW designed the E60 w/Sport Package to be a very high-performing automobile and as such "will sacrfice tire wear, vibration, and noise for grip and handling". Additionally, he said he knows of no situations where BMW has replaced all four tires at no cost to the owner :liar:

Can anyone confirm that aforementioned Service Bulletin is the most current one on this issue and that it is still being honored by BMW??

Also, any advice how best to escalate this issue within BMW if the dealer refuses would be appreciated. Thank you.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

vegastrashed
12-22-2005, 04:23 PM

I just had my 2005 545i in for service last week. I mentioned the SIB regarding the tire noise and they went ahead and replaced all four tires. Very easy and painless. So, as of 12/15/05 BMW is still replacing tires with less that 20K miles.

Big Pete
12-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Any word from the dealer whether the replacements are exactly the same tire or an alternate Dunlop solution? Also heard that the same DSST is improved with a newer compound.

bmiller54
12-30-2005, 05:00 PM
I just had my 2005 545i in for service last week. I mentioned the SIB regarding the tire noise and they went ahead and replaced all four tires. Very easy and painless. So, as of 12/15/05 BMW is still replacing tires with less that 20K miles.

I also had no problem with my Dealer replacing the tires last week(7k miles). My only concern is the replacements are Dunlops (looks the same as the old) except I was told they have a better rubber compound. Seems okay for now but the old tires were also good prior to 5k miles.

ADG
01-02-2006, 04:05 PM
I have a 525 with 24k, I just started noticing the road noise. It's sounds like I have big truck tires. Two of the tires are new so I don't know why it's so noisy. I did rotate the tires anyway, didn't make any difference.

ADG
01-02-2006, 04:09 PM
My tires are Bridgestone Run Flat E050 I think?

JT 550i SD
01-05-2006, 09:48 PM
No hassle whatsoever from dealer.

Started to get a droning pulsating hum from fronts, saw feathering on inner edge, made the apt and now have 4 brand new runlflats. Betcha I'll be back for 4 more new ones in 8-10K miles!?

bmiller54
01-06-2006, 12:03 AM
No hassle whatsoever from dealer.

Started to get a droning pulsating hum from fronts, saw feathering on inner edge, made the apt and now have 4 brand new runlflats. Betcha I'll be back for 4 more new ones in 8-10K miles!?
What is the manufacturer of your new tires?

JT 550i SD
01-07-2006, 11:05 AM
What is the manufacturer of your new tires?
same as from factory . Dunlop run flats.

tsteele
01-11-2006, 06:46 PM
545i with Dunlop RF - noticed the noise at 4,000 miles - took it to the dealer and they are going to replace all 4 with new Dunlop's with a different compound - hopefully they will last a little longer

BZagha
01-17-2006, 04:07 PM
I just took my car in and they replaced the tires no prob, however they said I would need to have my car aligned. Since I have Active steering it will be 360-380!!! I tired to get them to do it for free, but they won't!

525white
01-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Just got a call back from my dealer today. the Dunlop rep agreed to replace my tires. of course i had already replaced them after 13000 miles for Eagle F1's. but i figure i may as well get another new set and save the Eagles for when these wear out. i wish they would have done this bulliten sooner but given the timing i think they are being fair. i knew they would not pay for the tires i have now.
FYI
the dog

Chnsky545i
01-17-2006, 08:56 PM
I just took my car in and they replaced the tires no prob, however they said I would need to have my car aligned. Since I have Active steering it will be 360-380!!! I tired to get them to do it for free, but they won't!

If you are not experiencing any drifting to one side or the other when you let go of the wheel, you are probably fine to not bother with the alignment. They are just trying to make some service money for their work. They are already being reimbursed by Dunlop/Goodyear. I had mine done at 18k and the new ones are wearing fine.
Chnsky

BZagha
01-19-2006, 12:59 PM
and the noise?

Chnsky545i
01-19-2006, 08:48 PM
and the noise?

The noise is gone for now (who knows if the "new" compound will hold up). I do notice and I believe it is a side effect of having Run-Flat Tires, until you drive on them about 5+ miles, they are bumpy and noisey. It does go away after you warm them up. I will NOT likely buy RFTs again.
Chnsky

bobbybarz
02-03-2006, 11:07 PM
the anser is yes, i have a 2005 545i sport with these tires and i have some mixed emotions. One tire stared to bow out in two places, went to the dealer and he said it was a road hazard that did this, not true, they say i need a wheel alignment and all four tires are bent, which i feel is a bunch of bs. $1800 in problems plus a wheel alignment, any ideas on a way out without all the costs.

need info bad

bobbybarz
02-03-2006, 11:18 PM
I picked up a 2005 545i sport in end of october, i love the car however, i have a serious problem with my tires, wheel alignment and all four rims. First, let me say the tires started out fine and after a few thousand miles the excessive tire noise became really bad. Secondly, the sidewall of one tire started to bouldge and the dealer an a tire expert said i hit a pot hole, o.k. a pothole. when they took the tire off to inspect the tire, the inside tread was worn down soooo badly. The tire man said i would need two new tires and an alignment because the other front tire was worn down badly as well. I went back to the dealer to see what was covered and they put it on the lift and said I have four bent rims which have to be replaced. I angry with the whole situation. Im not sure what tact to take since i know i didnt do all the damage. any ideas

meweir
02-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Had Dunlops replaced last june at7000 miles. 8000 miles on new Dunlops and they are even worse. Will see what B M W will do.:mad: Mike

jockstrap
02-18-2006, 04:23 PM
:mad: Team - run flats suck.

Every one who has them will tell you they just give a terrible ride!

Chnsky545i
02-18-2006, 09:42 PM
I would never opt for RFT ever again. I can't wait for these Dunlop DSST to wear out. I plan on stepping up to a BBS or OZ 19" wheel and some Dunlop 9ks or maybe a Goodyear.

Patty4264
03-14-2006, 07:56 PM
I replaced my run flat because they were worn- $1500 on new Dunlop run flats. After 8000 miles, they were making the noise.. I went to the dealer and they said they were wearing on the inside and the only way to get rid of it was to buy new tires. Either the service people are stupid or just trying to pull something over on me because I'm female. It wasn't until February that I found this website and thatnks to everyone and the service bulletin- I'm getting new tires free! :D

I love run flats because I've run over several things and even when I needed a new tire, I was able to drive 50 miles on the tire and not be stranded. I'll never go without run flats. (They can keep the Dunlops though).

Anyway, here's the link and if you need the address to BMW NA and the person to talk to- email me.

Ågent99
03-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Excellent, Patty, and I'm glad we could help you!

TGray5
04-16-2006, 09:31 PM
So what is BMW's policy on replacing the runflats...mine haven't been too noisy until about 3,000 miles ago. I now have about 14,500 miles...lots of tread left and they are wearing well, but very noisey...will BMW replace them?

Ågent99
04-17-2006, 12:27 AM
So what is BMW's policy on replacing the runflats...mine haven't been too noisy until about 3,000 miles ago. I now have about 14,500 miles...lots of tread left and they are wearing well, but very noisey...will BMW replace them?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141173

Kinda doubt it.... :dunno:

TGray5
04-17-2006, 09:53 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141173

Kinda doubt it.... :dunno:

Sounds like they will...here is the TSB that Patty just posted

TGray5
04-19-2006, 11:34 PM
update: just got my tires replaced by the dealer and the software update...car feels like new again. :thumbup: BMW!

btw, I declined the 3 hour alignnment the dealer was trying to sell me.

Ågent99
04-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Awesome!!

andy jenner
05-04-2006, 04:09 AM
Sorry to rain on the hopefulls - the alledged new compound on Dunlop run-flats 'aint no better BUT the excuses from Dealer, BMW & Dunlop have sure become inventive here in good old Germany. Best one was a lady in BMW Customer services who stated there had not been a traditional problem on the 530i but they did have a new compound tyre from Dunlop to suit the heavier engine of the 530 Diesel version!!!

Let's get one thing clear - if there is a definite feathered profile on the inner tread blocks of each front tyre - it is not a 'wear' problem but a design screw-up by either BMW or Dunlop

Still looking for a version of SI B36 02 05 that is applicable to Germany - anybody help?

CapeBimmer
05-04-2006, 05:02 AM
It would be nice if BMW would take responsibility for the problem. It truly is not fair to the car owners that there is slightly too much negative camber designed into the front end geometry. I have a 545 sport and have purchased new wheels and tires that are all the same size to allow me to rotate every 4 or 5,000 miles hoping I can avoid the noise.

sak
05-24-2006, 01:12 PM
to this thread ....
i just got a call from dealership that my my car is ready after replacing my tires with new ones,
i wud hv never found a way to get rid of that noise if i never came to this site and this thread .....
dealerships refused to say anything about it , whenever i took my car to them , i always thought it was my brakes....
THANXXXXXXXXX bimmerfest ....

Ågent99
05-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Awesome! Donations accepted! :D

Chnsky545i
05-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Yes the tire noise and vibration is mostly due to the improper wear.
Keep in mind though the DSST are bad when cold and tend to have vibration until they warm up, so be aware of that when you have them.

von_zoom
06-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Here is an update. Just took my 2004 545i in for brake fluid change (16000 + miles). I mentioned that the car was beginning to vibrate as before (at 8000 miles they replace all 4 Dunlops). No problem, 4 new Dunlops put on the car. I jokingly asked if I needed to bring the car back every 8000 miles for new tires. They responded that would likely be the case, as no fix for the active steering/Dunlop problem has been found. 3 sets of tires in 16000 miles. Try getting any US auto manufacturer to do that.
vz

Transbug
06-24-2006, 02:14 PM
I anticipate replacing my tires in the next 3-4K miles (currently 26,500 mls). When I do, I going with Pirelli's M+S PZero Nero. If they made a run flat tire in that type I would buy them. However, they don't so I'm also getting away for the run flat tires. I had these tires on my 02 530i and they were outstanding. Little to no noise, outstanding treadwear and handling. I know there's a difference in the suspensions and chances are there will be a drop in the overall performance, but I simply can't see myself having to change tires every 8-10K miles. I don't want the crappie tires on my car. I want tires to be one of the last concerns I have with my vehicle.

mdcyr
06-26-2006, 01:20 PM

Appreciate any insights.

Just thought I'd provide an update on my experience with replacing the tires. Thanks to this thread I brought this issue to my dealer who acknowledged the problem and replaced all four tires. I had 17K miles at the time and the bulletin provides for replacement as long as you have less than 20K miles. I was hoping they would replace with a different tire but no such luck. Policy is that if Dunlops are not available, dealer can substitute, but in my case they had the tires in stock.

I asked whether the tires were redesigned and got two opposite answers from two of the service advisors at the dealership. I now have 33K miles and have answered the question: no change to the tire desgin based in the noise I am hearing again. I also opted to do an alignment for $149; dealer didn't push it but I felt it would be worth it so that if problems arose with the replacement tires nobody could blame it on alignment. I also asked for a copy of the alignment report to see what was in/out of tolerance.

The dealer also indicated that there is no provision for Dunlop to replace the tires again but I thought I'd cross that bridge when I came to it . . . I'm there now. I figure I can try to get another set, or go buy another brand and hope for better results. Although the negative camber spec is probably exascerbating the problem, if it were the real culprit I don't think Dunlop would pony up with a replacement program.

Separately, has anyone experienced more frequent punctures with the Dunlop RFs? I have been traveling the same roads with different vehicles for 8 years and have never seen so many punctures in any set of tires. Two of the four tires that i had replaced had patches in them (against BMW policy) and one of the tires had been replaced due to a puncture. I know performance tires are softer, but this is crazy.

Finally, I am open to any recommendations on alternate tires. I've seen references here to Pilots and F1s.

Thanks again to all the contributions to this thread . . . invaluable!

Presley348
07-02-2006, 07:29 PM

Appreciate any insights.

Are your tires, direction or non directional, aka "asymmetric" tread design?

okiemark
07-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the great input. I was lucky the 10,000 mile service on my 2005 545i ZSP found a dangerous wear on the driver side front Dunlop---could have blown out on the Interstate at 90 mph!

My dealership service didn't say they would replace it, but we checked the alignment today and it was okay. Tomorrow I will bring up this Dunlop/ZSP wear issue and ask if they will cover the cost of the Michelin replacements I asked for. Wish me luck.:eeps:

okiemark
07-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Looks like not all dealers are alike. My dealership in Amarillo refuses to help me recover the warranty on my 11000 mile Dunlops. Only one was severely worn (the left front), and the alignment was okay. Seems like a good case for a warranty, but I don't have time to keep fighting the issue.

So, I am switching to Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position, which, despite the silly name, is highly rated by a friend of mine who owns a tire business. I think I will switch dealerships, too, even if I have to drive 200 miles for my next bimmer.:p

Ågent99
07-19-2006, 07:50 AM
bump

Ågent99
08-01-2006, 07:20 AM
bump

amadeus00
08-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Well, here is my story on the tires. It was a pain to get them replaced.

I bought my car from Weatherford BMW in Berkley, CA and I have to say my experience with Weatherford BMW is the pits! I've gotten better treatment from a Ford dealer years back. I bought my car as a CPO and drove it back to TX (2500 miles). I had to take it in for service for being completely locked out of my car from a dead battery and of course the droaning road noise. They fixed the electrical problem but couldn't do anything about the worn and bald tires. My SA manager suggested I take it up with the dealer.

Technically they didn't have to replace them at all since I had 30000 miles on the car (4000 of my own miles) and didn't have any record of it being replaced in the first place. My arguement was that after 3 weeks of owning my car, I have to buy new tires! Is that what BMW expect from CPO customers? Obviously this is the impression I received from them. After dealing with incompetant people at Weatherford BMW for 3 weeks, pleading, reasoning, begging, complaining, demanding. they finally gave it and agreed to replace the front tires only. So I am left with half a problem. What does it take to get some decent service from BMW? I never, never, and I repeat, NEVER had any problems like this with Lexus. No matter what the issue, Lexus took care of it.

okiemark
08-11-2006, 05:27 AM
It sounds as though your tires had 30,000 miles of wear (4000 of your own). I do expect to replace tires on a BMW at that mileage, actually more like 20,000 miles. In my case, one of my tires wore out at 11,000 miles, but my dealership service department wouldn't help me get Dunlop to replace even one of the tires--they sent me to a local tire store that didn't even carry Dunlop. Why the BMW dealer where I bought my car couldn't order a new set of Dunlop's and be a mediator with Dunlop, I don't understand.:dunno:

E60_Owner
08-16-2006, 05:41 PM
I wish I had heard of this tire issue a month ago. I have a 2004 545 with the Dunlop run-flats, less than 13k miles. A few weeks ago, I parked with the wheel cranked and noticed horrific wear on the inside of the front tires, well into the cord on both tires. I spoke with my dealer, Nalley BMW in Atlanta, who indicated they clearly were no longer safe to drive, and that they did not have replacements in stock. FYI-this is a lease due up in October. I asked him if there was any kind of warranty, as the outer sides of the tire had so much tread left that it just seemed bizarre that the inner edge would be in danger of imminent blowout. He said unfortunately, no. no warranty. Furthermore, he said if you turn in the lease without four matching OE tires that they would basically charge me anyway-I may as well buy replacement RFTs. Well, I found the Dunlop RFTs at a Kauffman Tire very close to our house and had them replaced the following morning. I found out about this bulletin two days later, called Kauffman, only to find that the tires were already picked up. BMW NA said there was absolutely no chance they would reimburse on the bulletin to third parties. I called Dunlop, ditto because the tires are not available. I have given up on getting any sort of reimbursement for the fronts. However, the rears have the same wear pattern, one is bald on the inside but there definitely is 2/32nds tread on the outer. Nalley is saying that there has to be more tread, they cannot be less than 2/32nds anywhere, and basically said they had never “dealt with this problem before” and this was the best interpretation of the bulletin. Interestingly, there is a comment in this post on a “seamless” full replacement at Nalley for this very problem. So, I have paid to get the fronts replaced on an emergency basis with advice from the dealer that there is no warranty on such a strange wear pattern. Would such wear otherwise would have prompted replacement of all four tires? Now I cannot get the remaining two replaced because the wear “is past 2/32nds” on part of the tire. That is not the spirit of the bulletin for sure, and I am not sure it is a correct interpretation of the 2/32nds criterion (wouldn’t that mean the area of the tire with greatest tread?).

Now I need to buy rear run flats so I can turn in the car in October despite all of the wear patterns indicative of this known problem and 13k miles? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to proceed with BMW NA or Dunlop?

Thanks so much in advance!

amadeus00
08-17-2006, 07:37 PM
E60_Owner
Sorry to hear your problem. It's been a nightmare for me getting mine replaced and I only got 2. The SA is going to get you on a technicallity because the evidence is gone and they do not have worn tires to send back to Dunlop. A good service department might be able to defend your position but I have yet to hear of a good service department that would be willing to go the extra step. Seems to me your SA flat out lied or with held the bulletin from you when you first asked him about it. I am not sure what you mean about the 2/32" remaining. The bulleting states "If one or more tires are found with this condition, and the tires have less than 20,000 miles, all four (4) tires should be replaced with similar Dunlop tires, or when not available, with other BMW approved tires." Print out the bulleting and had it to your SA. Then ask to speak to the manager.

From what I have gathered with my experience with the dealer, and 2 service departments, they are trying to reduce the number of Dunlop claims. If they think your soft, they will pull one over your head if they can. Be firm and stick to your guns. It a real shame that we have these luxury cars with out the proper service to back up the name. Good luck on your efforts.

E60_Owner
08-18-2006, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the reply. The 2/32nds refers to information in the link located on the bulletin itself. The dealer submits the four tires for reimbursement subject to some eight or nine criteria, one of which is that 2/32nds of tread be remaining on the tire. It seems to not apply to this situation as you point out, but that was the basis for saying it is not covered and I will need to speak with BMW NA to get it sorted out (does anyone know the answer?).

The whole thing is agonizing. The situation is clearly described in the bulletin, and it seems ludicrous to require 2/32nds tread everywhere on the tire when the nature of the problem is it wears out the inner tire to flat (or worse in my case) when the rest has lots of tread at time of discovery. By that definition, no tires would be covered that were worn on the inside unless you detected it very early because you knew of this crazy bulletin.

Investing $1800 in a car about to go off lease, which is probably worth materially more than the residual, is really not something I had planned on getting stuck doing. I definitely feel my dealer is "sticking" me with this. They should have admitted their mistake regarding the fronts and just replaced the rears out of goodwill. This just rubs salt in the wounds. I plan on speaking with BMW NA today.

Ågent99
08-18-2006, 07:16 AM
I thought I read somewhere (Ask A Dealer, Lease Turn in Issue was the main topic of the thread), that turning in a lease car with tires needing replaced is CHEAPER than replacing them yourself. Do a search over in that forum.

E60_Owner
08-18-2006, 11:12 AM
That is correct. There is a $200 fee for each tire needing replacement versus the cost of buying new ones (~$400 each). I was more worried about one of the tires potentially not making it: nearly bald inside edge, need to drive for another 9 weeks/600 miles. I guess they should make it if I take it easy.

BMW NA told me that the dealer has discretion. They called my dealer who said they viewed my situation as normal wear and tear (!), which is rubbish. That is not the type of treatment I expect. Let's just say I will be taking a 550 delivery (and service) elsewhere. Basic business would have dictated a different course of action. Penny wise and pound foolish. Thanks for all of the advice. I have moved on.....

Ågent99
08-18-2006, 12:45 PM
E60_Owner, I have two OEM RFs (Dunlops) from the rear of my 545i that should pass muster. I bet we could make a deal! :) PM me and we can chat. Shipping may stink from San Jose to Atlanta but maybe we can work something out.

fuhrmgr
08-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Boy, am I bummed out. In Feb 2006, at 17k miles, I had my car serviced, but no mention to me (and nothing in the service notes) about any worn tires. Today, I took my car in (now at 23k miles) and sure enough, you can see the belts on the inside of one of the tires.

Now I've got to go through BMW Customer Service to get them to pay for it. Otherwise, I'll be stuck with the bill. This is crap - I paid a hell of a lot of $ for this car. This is stuff they should just do and not leave me holding the bag. I will update with resolution, but the lady at Customer Service is checking into it diligently.

Ugh!

okiemark
08-23-2006, 05:06 AM
I would have been happy with 23K miles on my BMW, since I just always have replaced tires at 30K--even on my previous non-performance japanese/american cars. It is simply safer that way. I certainly didn't expect my BMW to be easy on the tread, but the Dunlops were junk.

After 1000 miles on the new Bridgestones on combined city and country driving, I think I can report that these tires are certainly stiff (like playing tennis with a high graphite content racquet) but so far my back side has no bursitis! I have not managed to make the car slide in turns, and by comparison to the worn Dunlops, less noisy. Others on this site have praised Michelins, and I am planning ahead for a set of those next....in how many miles?:thumbup:

Ågent99
08-23-2006, 09:16 AM
E60_Owner, I have two OEM RFs (Dunlops) from the rear of my 545i that should pass muster. I bet we could make a deal! :) PM me and we can chat. Shipping may stink from San Jose to Atlanta but maybe we can work something out.

BTW, I flat out LIED to E60_Owner...the runflats I had are the fronts. I have a thread indicating their sale now.

wedgehead98
09-06-2006, 04:48 PM
Yes, I had about 18k+ and the service writer started to give me attitude, stating that the BMW Regional rep would have to sign off on it. It is such BS, because even in the bulletin, it outlines that Dunlop will reimburse BMW for the product and labor. Don't let them stray too far.
Had my tires replaced at San Diego BMW last week, free of charge, with 17k miles on them. Service writer didn't give me any crap, said it was a known problem and he would take care of it!

Nice...new tires at 17k miles! Just saved $1200!

ChileBeem
09-28-2006, 12:47 PM
this problem also happens on e39's. V.common on sport models, with non runflat Dunlops. Mine sound and feel like snow tire, they are dunlop 9000's and look almost new... no guarantee here, just wallet to sort problem out :(

sasingleton
10-02-2006, 05:55 PM
My 530i also has the Dunlops. I had them replaced under warranty (thanks to this group), but I'm now starting to have the noise problem again.

I can easily go and buy new tires (though they wouldn't be Dunlop), but if the problem is really being caused by the negative camber issue, then it probably won't solve the problem in the long run. Has anybody had any success in having BMW adjust the camber to a more nuetral position?

If this will fix the abnormal tire wear, I'd like to get it done as I'm due for a service soon. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Stephen

I took off the Dunlops when I bought the car, have Bridgestone Pole SO3 tires and have developed the same problem. It sounds like I have snow tires on the car :mad: .

I have heard that the dealers are replacing the Dunlops (if they have less then 10,000 miles on them) but I think this is a bandaid for a bigger problem - New tires make the car quiet again but the same problem will probably surface after another 8 to 10,000 miles.

BMWNA told me that the suspension is set up to handle well and that is the trade off. That the car is "hard" on tires and that I have to live with the noise. Not a good answer in my opinion. :tsk:

Seems to me that there must be a way of insulating the tire/suspension noise from the car.

ccwest5
10-11-2006, 05:24 AM
:thumbdwn: I know of three experiences with three different dealerships on the Dunlop run flat experience, the positiion taken by each of the three dealerships is remarkedly the SAME. The delaers are BMW Manahattan, Westchester BMW and Greenwich BMW. My personal experience is with Greenwich BMW, here is the story.

Brought car in for vibration/noise. Service tech says all four tires are worn to the belts need replacing, I tell him it is impossible how could that be. Service tech says alignment is out an I need four tires and an alignment. I tell him it is impossible, i have 25k on the odometer but in the northeast you use winter tires so about 12k of those were on winter tires and I could win the lottery easier then i could screw up the alignment so bad in 13k to destroy FOUR tires. He reiterates his position, I then (thanks to Bimmerfest) mention the TSB noted in this thread. He then quickly says "Oh, let me speak to my manager".

Two days later he comes back and says that he worked really hard for me and they will give me the four new tires, but i have to pay for mounting and balancing. I responded "unacceptable, the TSB gives an allowance for tire installation why would I pay you for installation when you get reimbursed from BMWNA?" The service tech immediately gives in. I then ask the service tech about the alignment he said I so desperately needed. He says I dont need one, I ask why he previously told me I did, He states that based on the tire wear i did, I asked what changed, he said nothing, so I asked do I need alignment or not, he replied no.

Pretty much the exact story happened to 3 different people at 3 different dealerships!

SUMMARY
Some dealers may care about service and replace according to the TSB, others will get try to get you to pay for everything and if that fails they will still try to stick it to you and have you pay for part that they are getting back from BMWNA. Know what the deal is and stick by it, remember they are there to make money, not to help you

bobinca
10-25-2006, 03:36 PM
My 530i also has the Dunlops. I had them replaced under warranty (thanks to this group), but I'm now starting to have the noise problem again.

I can easily go and buy new tires (though they wouldn't be Dunlop), but if the problem is really being caused by the negative camber issue, then it probably won't solve the problem in the long run. Has anybody had any success in having BMW adjust the camber to a more nuetral position?

If this will fix the abnormal tire wear, I'd like to get it done as I'm due for a service soon. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Stephen

I hope this helps, because I am not just whining. I am still stuck in the middle of trying to get this resolved.

I have a 2004 545i with sport package and active steering.

I am on my 3rd set of tires, with each lasting roughly 7,000 miles before the front get “cupped” on the inside edges and sound like riding in a delivery truck.

(1) I had the Dunlap runflats originally. The dealer told me that the Dunlaps were defective and recommended I switch to another tire, but wouldn't take care of it for me.

(2) So I chose Goodyear Eagle 245/40YR-18 F1 GS-D3 on the front and paid for them myself. The Eagles went bad too. So now I had to suspect it wasn’t actually the tires.

(3) I had the alignment checked and is was properly within BMW specs. The dealer then told me to have the front aligned to zero camber (flat with the road). I had to pay for that too and take care of it on my own. So I did the re-alignment and bought another pair of Eagle's and now those have gone bad too.

So it's not the tires and it's not the negative camber alignment. Maybe it's the active steering. I am still trying to get this resolved. Unfortunately the dealer won't do the tire replacement for me (SI B36 02 05) because the original Dunlaps are gone (per their advice).

Advice appreciated. Stand by and I will update after my next trip to the dealer.

Ågent99
11-02-2006, 03:34 PM
bobina, who are you dealing with in the Bay Area?

Gallagerbw
11-08-2006, 11:41 AM
I am at my wits end with the tires, active steering and dealer issues. I have a 2004 545 with active steering, my 6th new BMW. I brought in the car to the dealer @ 11k mi with the tire noise and fairly slight increase in vibration. The dealer replaced all 4 tires after some back and forth on solving the problem and me having to get a little aggressive. I am now at 23k mi and I have the same problem all over again. I went back to dealer explaining the same issue. This time they came back to me stating they will replace the tires but they feel all 4 of my wheels need to be replaced before they will replace the tires. They state that all 4 wheels are totally bent out shape and cannot be repaired. There is no noticeable damage to my wheels. I drive my car very carefully but I said to them I can perhaps see one or two wheels needing replacement but that I have a very hard time with accepting all 4 need replacement. I got the car back without taking any action. The noise has been increasing over the next 500 mi. The active steering now is much more active whereby driving on the highway last night in an area that was partly under construction, meaning the road was a little uneven but not with bumps, I had a very hard time keeping the car in my lane. I believe that there are problems with the active steering and I am getting stonewalled by the dealer. Does anyone have info that will support my feeling that there are manufacture problems with the active steering? Any recommendations? I have been a real BMW driver for over 12 years but this experience and the fact that the 545 has been in the shop for 21 days in 2.5 years is really changing my views.

bobinca
11-09-2006, 11:24 AM
I am at my wits end ....Any recommendations?

I forgot to add the 'bent wheel' issue to my post #104 above. I went through that too. So I took my wheels to a specialist that straightens (and chromes) wheels. The chrome looks great and the wheels and tires were balanced out perfectly. But after that, the next set of front tires went bad too and I have since added another new set. So all the findings and advice I have received so far have not helped. I am back in the shop now and the dealer is escalating this to BMW. Stand by on that.

One note of caution, before you go to your dealer on this make sure the tire pressures are set to the specs on the plate inside the driver's door. The dealer will use low pressure as another possible reason for the tire cupping and then of course state that that's your fault.

sasingleton
11-10-2006, 06:05 PM

Jay

I just got my 530i back from BMW and they recommended that I get new tires, either Bridgestone or Michilin, but not Dunlop, as I'm on my second set of those.

I going out to buy a set tomorrow. We'll see how long they last before starting to howl.

Steve

scottysak
12-06-2006, 12:34 PM
So I bought my 2004 545i with these tires 6 months ago. I've put 10,000 miles on them, and i'm having this problem. I brought to my dealer and they said NO to This TSB because its over the first 20,000. Is this suppose to be expected. I have 44k on my car total. Bought it CERTIFIED about 35k on the odometer. :cry: They told me my front tires are all wobbled up but still has lots of tread left. Rear tires are down to the wear bar. Anyways, any advice, like go to other dealers? Or should i just not bother. Thanks in advance.

Chnsky545i
12-07-2006, 01:17 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Sport+01+DSST

This link may have been posted before, but it is worthy of another.

This tire is one of Dunlops rare screw ups. I have always used Dunlops without problems until these EOM ones on my 545i. This is the best replacement in my opinion:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE960AS+Pole+Position
This tire performs well in all categories and is one of the few Ultra High Performance All Season tires that truely performs in all categories...
*Not run-flats, I would not suggest run-flats to any one, they are loud and rough when cold.

krad
12-22-2006, 03:59 AM
One solution : Michelin PS2

danna
01-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Today, Jan 10, 2007, Century BMW in Greenville SC ordered 4 new tires under warranty for my '05 545i. I had the service bulletin in my hand THANKS BIMMERFEST!!

It took the service manager about 30 seconds to look at the tire in my trunk (the one with the hole in it where it had worn through past the steel belt at 15k miles) and the two rear ones still on the car, to say "clearly, BMW will buy you 4 new tires".

He says the new Dunlop tire will not have this problem. I am skeptical based on what I've read here, but I suppose we'll see. I'm certainly pleased by the service.

craigt-from-atl
01-10-2007, 02:29 PM
So to be clear, the TSB applies to the mileage on the tires, not the mileage on the odometer, correct?

Dealer replaced all four on my '04 530 at 19k miles. I'm getting close to 36k now and am experiencing the same vibrations and road noise issues again.

GN2
01-13-2007, 11:05 AM
Are people with 2006 and 2007 530's still experiencing excessive tire noise? I am waiting for a 530xi to be delivered and am concerned based on the complaints and negative experiences that some of you have mentioned concerning the 5 series car set up.

justbe
01-16-2007, 11:18 AM
I have the same question. Does it make sense to ask the dealer to swap out for Non RF? Will they even do it?

Also, why a spare AND RFs? :dunno:

danna
01-16-2007, 12:27 PM
I had already replaced my front two tires w/ Dunlap NON run flat when i discovered the tech. service bulletin and thus that I would be getting the 4 new tires. I discussed getting two Non-runflats from the dealer + reimbursement for the two I had already purchased. Although I did not push really hard for it, the dealer definitely prefered to put the run flats that "BMW recommends" back on the car.

Why a spare? When I had the first issue, the dealer advised me not to drive the car more than a few blocks lest I render it too damaged to repair. WTF? What good are run flats? I dont' know. Coincidentally (I hope) one of the 4-day-old front tires got a hole in the sidewall last night on my way home. (My BMW-sponsored tires are still on order) I drove home on the "doughnut tire" at 45 mph. Very annoying. The tire is irrepairable. If it had been a run flat ...I guess I could have driven it home and back to the tire store w/out the need for a road side flat-change...before throwing away a $379 tire. This low-profile tire crap is getting on my nerves.

Ågent99
01-17-2007, 11:52 AM
This low-profile tire crap is getting on my nerves.

Welcome to high-performance BMW car ownership. Scraped bumpers, curb rash...all part of low-profile tire fun! :p

cheapa55
01-17-2007, 02:30 PM
My car has 16K miles and the inside of both front and rear are all worn out. I called the local dealership and they said that If it's under 10K miles they cover 100%, if under 20K miles, they cover 50%.

I did not mention anything bulletin at first and they said that "this is normal for the tires to make noise. The tires only have a lifetime of 20-25K miles" Huh? normal for noise?

Then I mentioned about a "recall" and she put me on hold and came back with the 100% and 50% coverage. and that is still depending on the exact brand and name of the tire which she would not disclose until I came in for the appointment.

any suggestions? should I just show up and show them the print out of the bulletin?

cheapa55
01-17-2007, 02:41 PM
I also just called BMW NA and they apparently don't acknowledge that there is a known problem with the tires. What do I do? I don't want to get over the 20K miles mark before taking any action.

danna
01-18-2007, 06:41 AM
My dealer was already giving me the "high performance tires don't last like lesser tires" line when I was on the phone with them.

But when I pulled the nightmare that was one of my tires out of the trunk and showed them the steel sticking out everywhere and the HOLE in the tread, they switched to abject apology mode, embarrassed to have had the car in their shop (the same day I flatted) and not correct the dangerous situation before letting the car leave.

Good luck.

cheapa55
01-19-2007, 12:09 PM
My dealer was already giving me the "high performance tires don't last like lesser tires" line when I was on the phone with them.

But when I pulled the nightmare that was one of my tires out of the trunk and showed them the steel sticking out everywhere and the HOLE in the tread, they switched to abject apology mode, embarrassed to have had the car in their shop (the same day I flatted) and not correct the dangerous situation before letting the car leave.

Good luck.

Did you actually show them the bulletin you had?

Has Anyone ever used the bulletin as proof that they need to cover it? or do they have the choice of denying the bulletin?

okiemark
01-23-2007, 03:43 AM
The only thing I expect from BMW group at this point is that they just become honest in their marketing. They should admit that they their car engineering sacrifices durability and reliability for high performance, and this would include the warnings about active steering chewing up tires. They should admit that their 50K free maintenance and warranty does not mean buyers can expect these cars to actually last that long without having to be repaired at buyer expense. Of course, the sales would fall.

While most car owners would be upset at having to replace tires at 20K miles, after the bimmer Dunlop/active steering experience, I would happy!

danna
01-23-2007, 08:59 AM
I read the number of the tech bulletin to them when I called, told them to look it up and call me back.

Then I took it with me when I went to the shop, but I give them credit: once they looked at the shredded tire, they said they would give me 4 new tires at that point. It was after that when the service adviser noticed the bulletin in my hand and ask where I got it.

GN2
01-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Swapping tires seems like a temporary fix based on the responses posted above. People have replaced them only to find that the noise returned as they approached 10k or so. It also seems that the problem is related to be the setup for the sport package as mentioned by Casper and Cape Cod above. I dont know what the situation was before 2007, but the RFT are standard with the 5 series sport packages in 2007. Has anyone had luck having BMW adjust the setup, perhaps slightly, to reduce the noise?

cheapa55
02-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Are these SIBs public knowledge or are we not supposed to know about them? If they ask me where I got it, what do I say?

I'm finally taking my car in for some service and will try to mention the tires again. Thanks.

XMN
02-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Guys,

Get rid off all that factory crap and get some real tires and rims.

Sounds bad all the way around but I have had no issues with mine they are stacked up collecting dust in the garage.

Just kiddin with all.

Be Easy

Rick

cheapa55
02-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Thanks to the posts and info in the forum. I finally took my car in for service and mentioned the tires. He went to look at the car and said that the warranty was for up to 10K miles or Bridgestones up to 20K miles. I mentioned the bulletin and mentioned that I had the print out, he checked it and took the copy and called me back a few hours later and said I qualified for the replacement.

so thanks everyone, now I can drive for another 15K miles before new tires.

cheapa55
02-09-2007, 10:47 AM
I just wanted to Thank everyone who posted and the bulletin. I finally got my 4 tires replaced, they did however install Bridgestone Potenza RFTs

Are those any good? or just as bad as the Dunlops?

louielou2002
02-12-2007, 04:47 PM
:thumbup: : I have a 05-545i with 18k. AT 8k the road noise & vibration that caused my handsfree phone conversations to become a shoutfest started. After a 4 wheel align at my cost $280.00 my SA said the tires were recalled & were chaged at 9k. The problem began again at 16K and is now worse than before. I currently have the 7/2005 TSB and am waiting for a Thursday appt to show the SA that he has to replace them since being denied to replace the second set. Does anyone have a more recent TSB or is this the one to have?

X5&545i
02-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Wow, this is great info! We've had excessive noise on our 2004 545i w/sports package since early on. At 6K miles the dealer replaced them (Dunlops run flats) but made it sound like this was an isolated incident and we were the only whiners. Now at 21K miles and the sound has been unbearable for the last year; last dealer gave us the story of yup, some tires just make more noise, and didn't indicate that it was a known problem.

With TSB in hand, we're headed to the new dealer this afternoon! Thanks again.

louielou2002
02-15-2007, 02:58 AM
:thumbup: Good news at least for the next 5-6K. After much arguing & finally revaling the TSB the dealer will replace my 2nd set of tires. Only to be replaced with the same model! What a bunch of horse****! I mean I'm happy they'll be replaced, but know that I will have to return with this same problem. Talk about getting the run around. BMW is not stepping up & treat their custpmers appropriately. Runflats it seems are not being desingned well as a class, but this must have something to do with suspension as well. My SA showed me another 545 with tires that looked like they used a cheese gratter on. They were torn up! The SA said those were not covered by the TSB. That poor customer! It was the same problem that the TSB diagnosed to the tee. With 12 months left on my lease, I'll start looking at the Benz models for next year an goodbye to BMW until they learn about cust service.

louielou2002
02-15-2007, 03:05 AM
Congrats on the new set! I'm pretty sure I saw some info that the Potenzas bubble up in the middle of the tread. My SA told me they won't last as long as the Dunlops. Sorry for the downer news, but its something to definetly be aware of. If I find anything, I'll pass it on.

MikeTerp
02-22-2007, 11:14 AM
It always amazes me how any manufacturer can screw up good things. While hardly "performance tires" BMW used to use Michelins extensively on its 5 series models. For the most part, these tires wore well and remained quiet through most of their lives. I now have my fourth set on my 97 E39 with over 161K miles on the clock. This car is still quieter than many newer competing models (RL, M, A6, etc). I can see having to deal with more noise and tire wear on all out sports models, but quiet with decent handling and tread wear IS possible. I am just amazed at how many stories are posted on any number of internet boards these days moaning about tires - and not all of them about RFTs. Almost seems like we have regressed, because if you read the car mag stories on handling, you do not see significant improvements in the stats they post, yet today's tires cost more, make more noise, and wear out more quickly.

X5&545i
03-12-2007, 08:54 AM
After a little run around, BMW is putting on the third set of tires on our 2004 545i, of course with the same Dunlops, but still better than what we have. Guess we'll just keep a copy of the TSB in the glovebox and stop in every 6000 miles for a new set:)

We did have to be persistent, the first service rep kept saying we're researching, etc (also debated the under 20K on the tires versus the car having 21K miles with tires only at 14K miles) and wouldn't get answer. So, we stopped in asked another rep and he immediately set up an appt to change the tires.

sak
03-28-2007, 08:24 AM
dunlop tires , next week. had mine replaced at 12 K and they start thudding again , is there a way that they cud replace anything other than Dunlop.
thanx one more time to this thread to hv my second replacement.
anyone there who got other than dunlop tires as a free replacemnet?
thanx u all
sak

bmwfanwashdc
04-13-2007, 10:14 AM
all 4 of my dunlop dsst rf tires were replaced by dealer under warrenty at 6k miles.

cheapa55
04-13-2007, 12:40 PM
dunlop tires , next week. had mine replaced at 12 K and they start thudding again , is there a way that they cud replace anything other than Dunlop.
thanx one more time to this thread to hv my second replacement.
anyone there who got other than dunlop tires as a free replacemnet?
thanx u all
sak
I got them replaced with Bridgestone Potenza RFTs, however, that might limit me to any other replacements in the future due to the same problem since only the Dunlops have the SIB.

raf996
04-16-2007, 05:45 PM
anyone have a bad experience with the 19" M sport tires? I have 15k km on the car and its starting to vibrate at low speed.

goodman
04-18-2007, 10:01 PM
How do I locate a copy of the TSB? Would you believe that BMW USA ignored my request for a copy???

Eternalife
05-07-2007, 04:21 PM
So i changed my dunlop run flats a few months ago i've put about 6500 miles on it and the tires are making that noise and the vibration on the steering wheel again.. Had the tires balanced and rotated but no luck there.. My dealership in town told me when i wanted to get my dunlop tires changed a few months ago that i would have to go where i bought my car from and they said it's problem they have to deal with is that Pretty much BS i dont want to change the tires for you?

Chnsky545i
05-10-2007, 06:40 PM
That is BS, they have to replace them providing the tires have not met 20k Miles and are the original set and / or the total miles do not exceed 20k. Some people have even got the dealers to replace a second or third set with total miles exceeding 20k. Bottom Line no one will be happy with the Dunlop Run Flat tires, especially after driving on non-run flat tires on you car. I happen to be a Dunlop fan, but these DSST SUCK!

Chnsky545i
05-10-2007, 06:43 PM
So i changed my dunlop run flats a few months ago i've put about 6500 miles on it and the tires are making that noise and the vibration on the steering wheel again.. Had the tires balanced and rotated but no luck there.. My dealership in town told me when i wanted to get my dunlop tires changed a few months ago that i would have to go where i bought my car from and they said it's problem they have to deal with is that Pretty much BS i dont want to change the tires for you?

I got my DSST replaced at a different dealer from the one I purchased the car from.

Eternalife
05-11-2007, 04:51 PM
I am thinking about just going into my town where my dad got his michelin's on his benz put on and getting some michelins of my own... Pilot Sport because i am sick of this bull crap road noise with these tires...

crwbaird
12-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Hey,
I have heard that some others have had this same problem. One link that came up for me was http://www.bmwtirenoise.com
It seems like such a strange problem, but hopefully you can garner some information from that site as well.

kiwibob
01-08-2008, 11:23 AM
I have a 2006 530IX wagon with the sport package. It is a great car, especially for running up to Mammoth on 395. At 13K I had a near catastrophic failure in the right rear (run flat 18 inch Goodyears) with the left rear also experiancing excessive inside rim wear. I had the wire showing and a slow leack before realising I had a problem. A couple of months ago I thought they were loud, especially in the rear, and called the dealer and asked if they were supposed to be that loud and was told that they should not be, but after reading this thread it seems (i) BMW has a problem with these tires and is not doing much about it, (ii) it is a potentially dangerous situation, (iii) at over $400 per tire, you should get better (and safer) wear out of these tires.
The dealer (Cunnigham in El Cajon) is giving me "it must be the alignment --which is not covered by the warrenty (the car has 13K on it) bs.

I'm thinking of swtiching to conventional Michelin tires. Any thoughts.

sunjobe
01-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Aside from the Dunlop Runflats, anyone know if any of the other (OEM) runflats (ie. bridgestone) may be covered for replacement as well? I'm not sure about road noise, but was feeling some alignment issues. So I asked service to check the tires out during my brake fluid flush service. Only have 13,000 miles on the vehicle (only 4,000 miles since it was CPOed), and was shocked to hear that I should replace all four of my tires... all supposedly have inner wear. They then told me it was the alignment and I needed to have it corrected (it was $210, by the way - not sure if it was different or not for active steer). I haven't changed my tires yet - but it sounds like there's a common problem of the sports tuned vehicles having excessive inner tread wear. Frankly, the thought of spending $2,000 for tires after only four months really scares me more than the road noise. In any case, if anyone had any experience or luck with some type of warranty (whether BMW or tire manufacturer), it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Russ Williams
01-08-2008, 04:18 PM
I'm thinking of swtiching to conventional Michelin tires. Any thoughts.

This should answer your question - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246297

tecnik303
03-26-2008, 01:38 PM
I just traded my 2007 335i for a 2005 545i (I think I may have made the wronge decision). Both had/have the sport package and both have run flats. I thought the ride was rough w/ the 3 series, but lord, the 545i is like driving a mac truck (the rock hard seats don't help much either). It doesn't feel anything like the 2002 540i Sport I used to have, which I considered to have a perfect ride w/equally perfect tire performance (I also think the previous 5s were just in general better designed all together). Anyway, about these crappy Dunlop RFs-I don't want to spend a fortune on new tires, and have read that Kumho Ecsta SPT give a much smoother ride and are not bad for performance (at only 650/set from tire rack, I'm sure they can't be that great though). Does anyone have any experience with these tires? Or any advice on any other replacements for the RFs that are under $1K? I hate hearing and feeling every piece of dust I drive over.

stream
03-26-2008, 01:54 PM
I just traded my 2007 335i for a 2005 545i (I think I may have made the wronge decision). Both had/have the sport package and both have run flats. I thought the ride was rough w/ the 3 series, but lord, the 545i is like driving a mac truck (the rock hard seats don't help much either). It doesn't feel anything like the 2002 540i Sport I used to have, which I considered to have a perfect ride w/equally perfect tire performance (I also think the previous 5s were just in general better designed all together). Anyway, about these crappy Dunlop RFs-I don't want to spend a fortune on new tires, and have read that Kumho Ecsta SPT give a much smoother ride and are not bad for performance (at only 650/set from tire rack, I'm sure they can't be that great though). Does anyone have any experience with these tires? Or any advice on any other replacements for the RFs that are under $1K? I hate hearing and feeling every piece of dust I drive over.

Just got new tires for my '05 545i--see here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272775

danna
04-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Deja Vu, here. Having replaced 4 tires under warr in Jan of last yr. at 15k.....

My replacement 2005 545i (after the total loss) is being cleaned up by the dealer who found it for me. He says the fronts have "the issue". Rear OK. Car has 39k on the odometer. If the prev owner had run flats replaced under warr, will it show up on BMW service records? Will they replace again? I can't believe the original tires lasted 38k.

I have a Dunlop non-run flat in my barn (long story). What if I buy one more...will the world end if I have non on the front and run-flat on the rear for a while?

stream
04-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Deja Vu, here. Having replaced 4 tires under warr in Jan of last yr. at 15k.....

My replacement 2005 545i (after the total loss) is being cleaned up by the dealer who found it for me. He says the fronts have "the issue". Rear OK. Car has 39k on the odometer. If the prev owner had run flats replaced under warr, will it show up on BMW service records? Will they replace again? I can't believe the original tires lasted 38k.

I have a Dunlop non-run flat in my barn (long story). What if I buy one more...will the world end if I have non on the front and run-flat on the rear for a while?

You don't want to mix tire brands/models on your car--it will cause an out of balance handling situation.

von_zoom
04-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Interesting to see this topic is still alive. I just had my 550i at the dealer, and they replaced 4 tires. If you search this thread, (6/20/06) you will see an earlier post where I advised my 545i just had the tires replaced. Thus, no progress in correcting the situation with active steering, sport, and the Dunlop tires. Wish I could find a simular bulletin for my 750i :rolleyes:
vz

momo_oo[][]oo
12-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Im having and appointment on jan for that tire thing on my 08 535i that i have unusual tire wear only on the rear left? :dunno:

Presley348
12-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Wow man I dunno either being on you rear, but the only thing that come to mind is your rear wheel alignment, and air pressure.

Hope this helps, Merry Christmas!!

Eddie

svarma12
12-30-2008, 10:55 AM
I had Dunlop DSSTs when I first purchased my E60 in 2005. The wear on the tires was consistent with the TSB on this thread, but I went through probably 1 set of tires before I got on bimmerfest and saw it. When the problem developed again, I took the TSB in, dealer (BMW of Dallas) was not as "nice" as some of the other dealers on this thread. I had a heck of a time but they finally split the cost of the tire with me. I have since moved on to Pirelli Nero Zeros - much quieter.

Run Flats are louder due to the harder walls, and the Dunlop DSSTs wear was quite abnormal due to both the camber specs and this particular batch of tires in 05-06, though I hear they have fixed the issue. The challenge with not having Run Flats is that the rims can be damaged if you hit an average pothole, and thats $150 to true up each rim otherwise you live with crazy vibrations and of course the tires wear in unnatural patterns.

cheers