From a

Steel blue 330CI

To :

Imola red M3,
black leather interior, brushed aluminium tream
Xenon,
Premium Package
19 inch wheels ( yeah I know... )

I Got it Last friday night , and I already clocked 600 miles on it, I just can't stop driving it :D

Quick Question : for those living where the white @#$@!! drop in winter, what winter config do you guys have? Did you go 17 inches or 18 inches wheels ( there is only one tire option with 18 inches on tirerack ). Should I also steal some sand from the beach while I am at it? :) .

TJS///M3
07-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Winter config? For an M3?

It's called subaru or civic. A nice, cheap, "I don't care" car for bad winter driving. In my case, it's a nice, cheap Explorer with 4X drive. Last thing I want to do is drive my M3 in a winter storm with all that sand and crap on the roads. And way too easy to put it into a snowbank or guardrail IMO since you are relying on the highway dept to clean the roads :eek: :yikes:

Put it this way.. you are buying another set of rims and tires at the very least.. which could easily pay for half of a "beater" winter car. Put a little more into it, and you dont have to put all those miles on the M3 all the time and can get a decent car for other uses (this is assuming you dont already have a 2nd car).

bren
07-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Once it gets closer to winter there should be more options at TireRack.

I'd go 17" as the wheel/tire combo will be cheaper and the extra sidewall of the 17" offers more compliance over frost heaves and potholes.

Don't add sand. The extra weight might help get you moving but it won't do you any good when you have to stop or turn.

WILLIA///M
07-06-2005, 10:44 AM
Quick Question : for those living where the white @#$@!! drop in winter, what winter config do you guys have? Did you go 17 inches or 18 inches wheels ( there is only one tire option with 18 inches on tirerack ). Should I also steal some sand from the beach while I am at it? :) .I went with 225/50/17 Dunlop Wintersport M3's on the AT Italia wheels that look like the M Contours. You can see them in this thread. They worked fine in Vermont.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75612

Technic
07-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Winter config? For an M3?

It's called subaru or civic. A nice, cheap, "I don't care" car for bad winter driving. In my case, it's a nice, cheap Explorer with 4X drive. Last thing I want to do is drive my M3 in a winter storm with all that sand and crap on the roads. And way too easy to put it into a snowbank or guardrail IMO since you are relying on the highway dept to clean the roads :eek: :yikes:

Put it this way.. you are buying another set of rims and tires at the very least.. which could easily pay for half of a "beater" winter car. Put a little more into it, and you dont have to put all those miles on the M3 all the time and can get a decent car for other uses (this is assuming you dont already have a 2nd car).

:stupid:

That's what I used to do with a 323iC when I lived in upstate NY... thank's God no more. :D

SB330CI
07-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Hehe the sand thing was more like a joke, but thx for the answer.

I have given some thoughts about getting a beater for winter time, although I drove my 330CI through 3 winters without problems with the right tires on it. and as far as salt and stuff, if you clean it when the temperature goes back up, you shouldn't have any problems.

Thing is, If I start to worry about sand or salt or potholes in winter, then I will have to worry about that sand storm cone behind the @#$%@#$ 18 wheeler construction truck doing 75 on the higway anytime I see one, or anything that might do some damage to the car, and well... I bought the car to drive it, not to be a garage queen and drive a beater all year long .

Moderato
07-06-2005, 02:56 PM
If you don't mind driving it in the winter just get a set of 17" snows and you'll be fine. Of course you can't drive it like you do on the summer tires.

Enough of that, tell me all about the M3. How is it better then the 330, what's your experience? One day I will sell my 330 and get an M3, but hearing other people's stories in the meantime help me to get by untill then. :)

Technic
07-06-2005, 04:22 PM
If you don't mind driving it in the winter just get a set of 17" snows and you'll be fine. Of course you can't drive it like you do on the summer tires.

Enough of that, tell me all about the M3. How is it better then the 330, what's your experience? One day I will sell my 330 and get an M3, but hearing other people's stories in the meantime help me to get by untill then. :)

Moderato... that day was yesterday. Just go to the dealer, test drive the M3, get the most for your trade in and sign the dotted line. I did exactly that after feeling like you for too long, watching other people driving my dream car.

Just do it... :D

WILLIA///M
07-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Moderato... that day was yesterday. Just go to the dealer, test drive the M3, get the most for your trade in and sign the dotted line. I did exactly that after feeling like you for too long, watching other people driving my dream car.

After a year of ownership when I drive by another E46 M3 on the road I still find myself thinking wow that car looks really great, just has a badass presence to it. Then I think, wait a second ... I'm driving one. :D

jrp
07-06-2005, 04:55 PM
After a year of ownership when I drive by another E46 M3 on the road I still find myself thinking wow that car looks really great, just has a badass presence to it. Then I think, wait a second ... I'm driving one. :D
Heh..heh..heh...these cars certainly have that "Don't eff with me" attitude, don't they? :thumbup:

Moderato
07-06-2005, 05:07 PM

Heh..heh..heh...these cars certainly have that "Don't eff with me" attitude, don't they? :thumbup:

STOP IT!!!!! :mad: STOP IT!!!! :mad:

....must.....not.....sell.....330.....after.....1. ...year.....could've......put....depreciation..... money......towards......M3.......in.........the... .....first........place.........AAAAGHGHGHGAAAHHHH !!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Pinecone
07-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Just like driving well means to lokok ahead, making it through life easily and well menas THINKING further ahead.

You should have bought the M in the first place. There is a REASON there are no non-M BMWs at our house. :)

Moderato
07-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Just like driving well means to lokok ahead, making it through life easily and well menas THINKING further ahead.

You should have bought the M in the first place. There is a REASON there are no non-M BMWs at our house. :)

I'm sure you've heard this before but here it goes, "It seemed like a good idea at the time." :)

TJS///M3
07-06-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm sure you've heard this before but here it goes, "It seemed like a good idea at the time." :)

LOL. That reminds me of an old cartoon.. "If Woody had gone to the Police, none of this would have ever happened".

What? you've never heard of Woody Woodpecker? :D

TD330ci
07-06-2005, 08:10 PM

DITTO!! :thumbup:

330soon2b
07-07-2005, 06:57 AM
LOL. That reminds me of an old cartoon.. "If Woody had gone to the Police, none of this would have ever happened".

This is the funnest god damn thing I've read on this board in over a year! :rofl:

SB330CI
07-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Moderato...

DO IT! JUST DO IT! :angel:

Seriously, it's a totally different beast, a mean one, but I will have to wait for the break-in to be over, and probably a trip to a race-track to really say anything.

Interior wise and features, beside the sport button, the CD unit that plays mp3 cds and a couple other things, it's pretty much the same as the 330.

The ride is rougher, but I got the 19 inches wheels so that certainly adds to it...

Like technic said, you can go to a dealer, and test drive one. My test-drive was in a convertible :) .

spta97
07-07-2005, 12:59 PM

Ha ha...I still use that line! :rofl:

Moderato
07-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Moderato...

DO IT! JUST DO IT! :angel:

Seriously, it's a totally different beast, a mean one, but I will have to wait for the break-in to be over, and probably a trip to a race-track to really say anything.

Interior wise and features, beside the sport button, the CD unit that plays mp3 cds and a couple other things, it's pretty much the same as the 330.

The ride is rougher, but I got the 19 inches wheels so that certainly adds to it...

Like technic said, you can go to a dealer, and test drive one. My test-drive was in a convertible :) .

I'm going to get one eventually, but a little patience can save me a lot of money. I really believe that my 330i isn't going to depreciate that much more in the next 2 years then it has already and by that time there should be some amazing deals on E46 M3's considering the E92 coupe and M3 will be the hot ticket. It's not like I'm exactly "suffering" with my 04 330i. :angel:

How do you like the seats in the M3? I thought they were much better then the sport seats in the 330. Also, how's the acceleration off the line with the M3 & 19's? I'm not talking about launching, just regular get up and go. Can you feel the extra weight of the M3 & the 19's compared to the 330? How's the gearbox & clutch compare?

SB330CI
07-07-2005, 03:58 PM
The sits are indeed nicer, as you can adjust the width, the front part of the sit is also adjustable.

The first time I pressed on the sport button( which is shortly after I left the dealership :) ), and accelerated from a stop, my head went backwards and I was glad that there was something to stop it hehe. I didn't expect that much difference between sports mode and normal mode :D . In normal mode, below 3500 rpm, it pretty much acts like a 330, which is nice if you are caught in traffic.

The RPM needle climb like there is no tomorow after 3500rpm, and It's very tempting to keep going up, but I want to do the break-in like the manual says ( stay below 5500rpm, no more than 100mph kind of thing, no full throttle ).

jrp
07-07-2005, 05:07 PM
The RPM needle climb like there is no tomorow after 3500rpm, and It's very tempting to keep going up, but I want to do the break-in like the manual says ( stay below 5500rpm, no more than 100mph kind of thing, no full throttle ).
Heh...heh...just wait till you can let her rip at 8000 rpm. Make sure you take the afternoon off after your 1200 mile service. :lmao:

Pinecone
07-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Do realize that the break in isn't fully over at 1200 miles. You should gradually increase max revs and speeds up through 3200 miles.

Also sport shouldn't be used during break in.

jrp
07-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Do realize that the break in isn't fully over at 1200 miles. You should gradually increase max revs and speeds up through 3200 miles.
Oopsee. :ouch: :D

Moderato
07-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Oopsee. :ouch: :D :rofl: :rofl:

SB330CI
07-08-2005, 07:44 AM
3200 miles :cry: :bawling:

plien69
07-08-2005, 08:00 AM
3200 miles :cry: :bawling:Wow. And here I'm thinking my 3500 miles in 6 weeks is too much.

SB330CI
07-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Wow. And here I'm thinking my 3500 miles in 6 weeks is too much.

I haven't done 3200 miles yet lol, I was just expressing my feeling about having to wait 3200 miles, before full rev, like pinecone is saying.

plien69
07-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Oh. Oops. :doh:

So, um, yeah. I've driven 3500 miles in 6 weeks. :eek: