PDA

View Full Version : 18" wheels on 530xi (sedan or Touring)

EGL
07-07-2005, 02:20 PM
HELP!!!

Shortly, I will be placing my order for a 530 xi sportwagon. I can't decide whether to get the wheel upgrade or not. I winter in warm climes, so I really don't need the all-season, snows, or AWD for that matter - just the wagon part!

I like the look of the 18" wheels, but wonder how the larger wheels, and performance tires will affect the ride. If the sport package had a sport suspension, it would be more clear to me. But, there is no sport suspension available on the xi cars.

Will the ride be much "harsher" since the suspension is the same? And, will the handling be noticeably better? OR, am I just getting the look.

I'd appreciate any thoughts (even guesses) any of you may have.

mbforme
07-07-2005, 04:53 PM
I have a 530xiT and decided to go with the standard 17" wheels. In order to get the 18" wheels, you need to upgrade to the sport package (you loose the chrome trim, something i like) and than you need to add the 18" wheels. The 18" wheels also come with performance tires... these tires will last less than half the miles of the all season tires.

It's probably cheaper to sell your wheels/tires and buy new 18" ones. In that case you can pick your own style...

wagonman
07-07-2005, 05:00 PM
i also opted for the standard wheels and tires (all seasons) on my 06 530 xi t. i too like the look of the 18s. that said, i did not want run flats. i did not know about mbformes response that the runflats last half as long. big negative in my mind. plus, runflats are quite expensive to replace. these cars are expensive enough as they are! i don t know about a handling difference. but i can tell you that the 17s with all seasons were awesome in europe for 3 weeks. the car handled like a dream. good luck :thumbup:

mbforme
07-07-2005, 05:05 PM
regarding how long a tire last, i was pointing out performance tires versus all-season tires.. Don't know about run-flats... besides that are very expensive to replace and a lot of people at complaining about the ride on run-flats...

btw, wagonman, you still owe the board pictures of your new ride! :)