PDA

View Full Version : The Official "I love iDrive" thread

remington
07-07-2005, 01:43 PM
I've had my 545i now for 10 days and one of my greatest reservations prior to purchase was idrive after the 100% negative press it has received. What a surprise to find that rather than a liability, I really love idrive! I am a computer nut so the ability to control the whole vehicle and subsystems with a mouse-driven screen interface works perfectly for me, and the voice control is wonderful too. Using my bluetooth phone through idrive is really this icing on the cake. What a great technology.

Supposedly the average 5 series buyer is 47 so I I'm on the young side--those from the (ahem) pre-computer generation probably won't be as accepting as my generation (I'm 36). If you can't program the clock on your VCR you probably won't like idrive.

AriciU
07-07-2005, 01:52 PM
I like it myself. The only thing i don't like is that it "lags" quite often and seems powered by a 486 or something from that era... it's a damn simple menu ffs, why couldn't they make the cursor move when i want it to move not 5 seconds after.

Mathew
07-07-2005, 04:38 PM
I don't love it, but I've learned how to use it to its potential.

LarryN
07-07-2005, 04:45 PM
I found it invaluable in Europe, although it is slow at times between menus. I think it's funny that people think it's that bad. Takes a day, and you have it pretty much mastered. Seems very intuitive.

BillP
07-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Drove Agent99's '05 545 around Europe during his ED:

1. iDrive is not terribly intuitive - of course, neither was the mouse when I first played with one in 1981
2. You can master it in an hour or two - preferably when parked
3. There is nothing critical controlled by iDrive, so I really don't understand why people get all upset about it. If the brakes or turn signals were controlled by iDrive, then OK, I'd get it.

Bill

SpeedFreak!
07-07-2005, 07:45 PM
I believe iDrive is brilliant... and will continue to be more and more so as the years go by. :thumbup:
Do a search... there have been some very stimulating conversations about this topic. I started the Einstein thread and got fascinating reactions from a number of people. I found that Most who have it... love it... Most who do not... don't.

Me530
07-08-2005, 06:21 AM
iDrive rules! I can't stand seeing cars with a thousand buttons everywhere to control functions the car may not even have. iDrive is easy to use, and does away with the cabin clutter. :thumbup:

stream
07-08-2005, 08:27 AM
iDrive is great. Years from now most cars will have this type of interface (Audi & now Mercedes do), and we'll wonder how we did without it. Remember PCs before the mouse??!!

Mathew
07-08-2005, 11:32 AM
3. There is nothing critical controlled by iDrive, so I really don't understand why people get all upset about it.

I've been saying that since the E65 first came out. The majority of the time I hardly ever use it, as radio and air conditioning functions (which gets the most frequent use) can be controlled "normally."

Ågent99
07-08-2005, 12:48 PM
i-Drive does its job adequately and it allows a fairly clean and unobtrusive dash/dash panel.

The lag is annoying at times but then BMW always seems to lag other car manufacturers' electronics....

So far, the i-Drive, while slow at times, has worked flawlessly and has been a pleasure to use.

rad21
07-08-2005, 02:34 PM
I've had my 545i now for 10 days and one of my greatest reservations prior to purchase was idrive after the 100% negative press it has received. What a surprise to find that rather than a liability, I really love idrive! I am a computer nut so the ability to control the whole vehicle and subsystems with a mouse-driven screen interface works perfectly for me, and the voice control is wonderful too. Using my bluetooth phone through idrive is really this icing on the cake. What a great technology.

Supposedly the average 5 series buyer is 47 so I I'm on the young side--those from the (ahem) pre-computer generation probably won't be as accepting as my generation (I'm 36). If you can't program the clock on your VCR you probably won't like idrive.

You are 100% on the mark. I read all the nightmares about i-Drive and was expecting the worst. I love it too! True, I use PC's and Macs but don't consider myself a computer expert. It takes no longer to learn i-Drive than it does to learn to use a new computer. Hey, after you learn it, it's second nature- it's not like you have to pull out a manual once you learn your way around i-Drive. Plus with voice commands, there is always "help". I love it- BTW, I am 49 ... I am waiting for my Bluetooth phone to arrive:thumbup:

SpeedFreak!
07-08-2005, 03:23 PM
You are 100% on the mark. I read all the nightmares about i-Drive and was expecting the worst. I love it too! True, I use PC's and Macs but don't consider myself a computer expert. It takes no longer to learn i-Drive than it does to learn to use a new computer. Hey, after you learn it, it's second nature- it's not like you have to pull out a manual once you learn your way around i-Drive. Plus with voice commands, there is always "help". I love it- BTW, I am 49 ... I am waiting for my Bluetooth phone to arrive:thumbup:

Congrats on the Bluetooth... I LOOOOOOOOVE IT!!! I'm sure you'll love it, too! :thumbup:

yamilrx
07-09-2005, 07:49 AM

I have found it to be fairly easy, I consider myself pretty computer literate so that may help. I do find that when entering an address into the Navigation it does take longer to enter the information versus the touch screen on the Lexus or Acura TL. To me it is easier to have a mouse right below the stick shift rather than leaning forward everytime I need to touch the screen. I was not aware of the average age for the 5 series driver being 47, but I am way under that.

kd2789mo
07-09-2005, 10:50 AM
average age for the 5 series driver being 47, but I am way under that.
Interesting link
HERE (http://www.bmweducation.co.uk/coFacts/view.asp?docID=71&topicID=5)

petp
07-14-2005, 08:19 AM
when i picked up my car the dealer spent around 30 minutes going over i-drive....i found it simple to use and an awesome tool, and mastered it right then and there when the dealer was demo'ing all the features. i can imagine how stupid the people who complain about it really are. :rofl:

wagonman
07-15-2005, 10:09 AM
i dont know that i love i-drive. it is easier than most people say to use and the bad press about it is overplayed. it is a little silly that after starting the car you have to hit "accept" just to get it going. 5 years from now we all look back at the current i-drive and say how archaic it was! i like it just fine. i do not love i-drive!

remington
07-15-2005, 02:06 PM
I agree in that the one thing I HATE is the lawyer stupidity screen that you have to bypass every single time you start your car. Damn and curse all personal injury/product liability and other ambulance chasing lawyers for this thorn in my side. :mad: