BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

new to bmw and looking for answers

991 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Fool4bmw 
#1 ·
I'm considering starting another project car and have always liked the bodystylings of the e30. I am wondering how well the suspension and chassis are designed from a geometry stand point and what upgrades are suggested for track/hard street driving. I have looked at a couple aftermarket part sites and read that the subframes tend to become an issue after time. Now I'm not looking for an all-out race car, but I will be very agressive with this thing so I need good parts. My goal is to build a car that can be driven to the track (drag and autocross), flogged, and driven home without problem. Also, what kind of horsepower can be put to the stock differential before failure? Any information will be appreciated as well as links to other bmw performance-oriented sites. Thank you.

#2 ·
I hope this helps..

Well, I'm the proud owner of an 85' 325e. I'm the third owner and it has 260,000+ miles. The previous owner had began setting this car up for road racing. When I bought the car, he had all ready installed lowering springs, billstein shocks, sway bars both front and rear, limited slip differential, 205/40 R15 Borbet Type C Wheels. He said all that was missing was the strut bars front and rear. It is true that the suspension on the E30 has its fail points. One leading point is the rear shock mounts which did fail on me. The rear passenger side shock blew through the shock mount and tore a lot of metal from where it mounts into. Thankfully Ireland Engineering sells reienforcement plates for the rear shock mounts which saved my car. If these are installed prior to failure, they will save you a lot of money as well as upgrading the shock mounts with either mounts from the convertable which are stronger or some aftermarket ones which in some cases are adjustable. I hope this information was somewhat helpful. Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.