PDA

View Full Version : Nav DVDs

rogue38
07-07-2005, 07:32 PM
I couldn't figure out, through the thousands of Nav DVD threads. But do you have to leave the Nav DVD in the unit in order for it to display and track your where abouts. Most GPS systems you load in the software and thats it, the software is stored in the system.

Bob330Ci
07-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Nope, it requires the DVD be left in.

B.

rogue38
07-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Thats what I thought. Why does a advance technology companies like BMW have products that cost $2000 that have less performance or advancements as other companies GPS systems that cost $400-1000.

Terry Kennedy
07-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Thats what I thought. Why does a advance technology companies like BMW have products that cost $2000 that have less performance or advancements as other companies GPS systems that cost $400-1000.There are two pieces to the NAV - the operating software, which only needs to be copied from CD to the computer (and again if the software is updated), and the map data, which needs to stay in the computer.

Portable and aftermarket NAV systems often have limited internal memory (my Magellan has 128MB of flash memory to hold map data).

rogue38
07-10-2005, 08:51 AM
There is a Garmin GPS unit I've been looking at for flying that is a GPS unit and PDA that you can load the Americas Aviation Database in for flying, and it will accept the automotive ground database for driving but you do not have to keep a disc in the system. Everything is held in an internal memory. The basic system is $1100, with the Americas Aviatioin database, the auto kit with drive database is an extra $250. They also have the euro Avaition and driving database software available too. You just do not have the built in feature, but you do have one system that performs many functions. As an person in the aviation world I see it as an all in one use type avenue to persue, but the built in system would be a nice thing.
And I've never really need a nav system for driving before here in the states or in europe, asia, or where ever my travel take me. It would be just a neat feature for convenience.

Garmin has others much cheaper but the display isn't nearly as nice though.

I guess my overall point is that if you could just load software and then remove the disc, it would be a nice thing that if you did ED then the delivery center could load the Euro database for those spending time in europe, then once stateside reload the North American software. Then pull out the disc and have the DVD harware also perform other functions, say as a CD player. That way you have one less slot and head unit, at a cost savings. Since they do make player that run DVDs and CD this is a possibility. Just makes sense to me. IMO.

Terry Kennedy
07-10-2005, 11:26 AM
I guess my overall point is that if you could just load software and then remove the disc, it would be a nice thing that if you did ED then the delivery center could load the Euro database for those spending time in europe, then once stateside reload the North American software. Then pull out the disc and have the DVD harware also perform other functions, say as a CD player. That way you have one less slot and head unit, at a cost savings. Since they do make player that run DVDs and CD this is a possibility. Just makes sense to me. IMO.The current USA 2005-2 data disc is 3.91GB of compressed data. A DVD can hold up to 9GB or so. That is a lot of flash memory to put into the NAV computer.

Bigerr19
07-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Thats what I thought. Why does a advance technology companies like BMW have products that cost $2000 that have less performance or advancements as other companies GPS systems that cost $400-1000.

You should try the nav in our new Trailblazer. The disc slot for the nav dvd is the same for the cd player, you can't navigate and play a cd at the same time! At least BMW uses a separate drive for the nav dvd. Thankfully we got xm radio too, so that kind of makes up for it a little bit. I couldn't believe that they would design a system that way. Another downside is that you can't enter address information while the car is moving like I can in the BMW. In short, the BMW nav isn't perfect, but it's better than the GM one in some cases.