PDA

View Full Version : Sirius Incompatible with Assist in '05 Convertible?

mccorma
07-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Hi all, "new guy" here---- took delivery of a new 330CiC a couple weeks ago, loving the car so far...... :thumbup:

My car came with BMW Assist, an option I didn't really want but to get the Monaco Blue I had to accept a car they found at another dealer. After I accepted the car and it was at my dealer, I asked about Sirius radio and was told it was incompatible on convertibles with Assist. I never got a good explanation as to why as they said you could get it on coupes/sedans. :dunno:

I started checking around and found an old thread here from back in 2004 on the topic but it mentioned Sirius was not available on convertibles with Assist and NAV--- my car does not have NAV.

Does anyone have a current status on this or better yet, a resolution or workaround? I want my Sirius radio!!! :cry:

Technic
07-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Hi all, "new guy" here---- took delivery of a new 330CiC a couple weeks ago, loving the car so far...... :thumbup:

My car came with BMW Assist, an option I didn't really want but to get the Monaco Blue I had to accept a car they found at another dealer. After I accepted the car and it was at my dealer, I asked about Sirius radio and was told it was incompatible on convertibles with Assist. I never got a good explanation as to why as they said you could get it on coupes/sedans. :dunno:

I started checking around and found an old thread here from back in 2004 on the topic but it mentioned Sirius was not available on convertibles with Assist and NAV--- my car does not have NAV.

Does anyone have a current status on this or better yet, a resolution or workaround? I want my Sirius radio!!! :cry:

The incompatibility comes from the Assist using the same real estate as the Sirius mounting location.

This is where normally the Sirius mounts: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51917 ... you will notice that in your car the Assist TCU is already there.

What you can do is move the Sirius tuner behind the rear seats: http://golilm.com/DIY/Bluetooth/BluetoothCab/bluetoothcab.htm ... use this Bluetooth ULF installation location as your guide: instead of the BT ULF module, place the Sirius tuner there and you will be set. :thumbup:

tigerfan
07-08-2005, 06:52 AM
Not sure how much you need BMW assist. Can you remove the assist module from the trunk and replace it with the sirius module? Dealers will not do it because of some legal problems.

CJsCar
07-08-2005, 11:00 AM
The incompatibility comes from the Assist using the same real estate as the Sirius mounting location.

It's not a location problem, its an electronic incompatibility issue. The dealership can remove the unit but you will need to sign off on the removal and hold onto the Assist module to pass it along to the next owner.

Technic
07-08-2005, 12:15 PM
It's not a location problem, its an electronic incompatibility issue. The dealership can remove the unit but you will need to sign off on the removal and hold onto the Assist module to pass it along to the next owner.

There is no "electronic incompatibility issue"... there are already several people in this forum with Sirius and Assist working together using the suggestion that I gave above. :thumbup:

mccorma
07-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks Technic, I checked out the other thread you mentioned, great stuff and pix as well! :D

My dealer matched the Circle BMW prices, I've got the parts so I am going to give it a try this weekend. My car has the Assist and the alternate trim panel with the larger enclosure, so I am hoping I can sandwich the Sirius tuner to the Assist box and they will both be concealed.

Any tips on routing the antenna wire--- I couldn't find much on that in any of the threads.

Thanks again for the info --- I hope to be Sirius-ly listenin' to some tunes by Sunday! :thumbup:

Technic
07-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Thanks Technic, I checked out the other thread you mentioned, great stuff and pix as well! :D

My dealer matched the Circle BMW prices, I've got the parts so I am going to give it a try this weekend. My car has the Assist and the alternate trim panel with the larger enclosure, so I am hoping I can sandwich the Sirius tuner to the Assist box and they will both be concealed.

Any tips on routing the antenna wire--- I couldn't find much on that in any of the threads.

Thanks again for the info --- I hope to be Sirius-ly listenin' to some tunes by Sunday! :thumbup:

:thumbup: