PDA

View Full Version : Phone steering wheel controls

bscarlett
07-08-2005, 06:35 AM
I wish this came about about a month ago! Advanced Autovations just came out with a kit that will allow you to use the steering wheel controls for your phone with other bluetooth kits. I have the Parrot CK3000 in my Jeep and wanted to get it for the E39 but didn't want the look of the Parrot buttons. So I put my money into the BMW kit. Don't know if this would have been enough to sway my decision, I love the dial by number feature and seeing the caller ID on the MID. The kit works with the Sony kit and Nokia ones. Check it out here. http://www.advancedautovations.com/wheel2phone.html

EHeath
07-08-2005, 09:20 PM
I wish this came about about a month ago! Advanced Autovations just came out with a kit that will allow you to use the steering wheel controls for your phone with other bluetooth kits. I have the Parrot CK3000 in my Jeep and wanted to get it for the E39 but didn't want the look of the Parrot buttons. So I put my money into the BMW kit. Don't know if this would have been enough to sway my decision, I love the dial by number feature and seeing the caller ID on the MID. The kit works with the Sony kit and Nokia ones. Check it out here. http://www.advancedautovations.com/wheel2phone.html

This just allows you to use the buttons. Nothing like the BMW kit.

Also, with the BMW kit, Caller ID doesn't appear on the MID. The MID only displays stored numbers when you scroll through. I believe Caller ID does appear on the cluster display however.

bscarlett
07-09-2005, 05:03 AM
The MID does display Caller ID when a call comes in. It will display the name if it is stored in the phone, otherwise the number appears on the MID. For my 03 E39, nothing appears on the cluster, only the MID.

By no means does this kit replace the BMW kit, however the Parrot kit is half the price of the BMW one and if you want a clean looking install and want basic bluetooth functions, this is the way to go.

JSpira
07-10-2005, 04:38 AM
The MID does display Caller ID when a call comes in. It will display the name if it is stored in the phone, otherwise the number appears on the MID. For my 03 E39, nothing appears on the cluster, only the MID.

The cluster display SHOULD display the Caller ID (or name). The MID (or the Nav if so equipped) is not supposed to display this, nor does it on any car I have seen (and my 5er was the first BMW in the U.S. to receive the factory retrofit kit).

You can refer to any of my several articles in the Roundel on the subject for further information about how the system should behave for incoming calls. As far as I know, EHeath is correct.
:thumbup:

bscarlett
07-10-2005, 06:08 AM
The display on my cluster is not like the X5 that is long enought to display it. I am just describing what mine does. Maybe because mine is a Canadian car.

JSpira
07-10-2005, 08:22 AM
The display on my cluster is not like the X5 that is long enought to display it. I am just describing what mine does. Maybe because mine is a Canadian car.

Do you have high or low OBC?

bscarlett
07-11-2005, 07:43 AM
Don't know...how can I check?

JSpira
07-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Don't know...how can I check?

Fairly simple. Do you have an icon of the car in the cluster display (for trunk or door open) or does the display SAY "TRUNK OPEN."

The icon indicates low. Large display = high.

bscarlett
07-11-2005, 07:54 AM
Then I have the low.

JSpira
07-11-2005, 07:56 AM
Then I have the low.
OK - that's why it doesn't display on the Cluster. Not enough room.

The display on the cluster is very limited (4 characters I think) with low OBC.