PDA

View Full Version : Confidence level in CPO for M3?

jetstream23
07-10-2005, 02:07 AM
I'm casually looking at an '03 M3 Cabrio that would be a CPO. I've never purchased a used or CPO vehicle before and the idea of a used M3 scares the daylights out of me. Visions of some guy ignoring the break-in process and hammering on this fine sports car fill my mind, especially since most CPO's have come back off leases where the first person may not have cared as much about the car's well being. My question is how much confidence should I have in the CPO arrangement? What kind of protections (i.e. extended warranties or maintenance) should I expect? What should I look out for? I am just beginning my CPO research. Thanks for any help.

Pinecone
07-10-2005, 05:26 AM
CPO gives you a 6 year, 100K mile warranty. You also get the 6 yr, 100K engine warranty for M3 engines up to 03.

If you want extended maintenance, you have to buy that yourself. That covers Inspections, oil change, wiper blades, brakes, etc.

jetstream23
07-10-2005, 11:17 PM
CPO gives you a 6 year, 100K mile warranty. You also get the 6 yr, 100K engine warranty for M3 engines up to 03.

If you want extended maintenance, you have to buy that yourself. That covers Inspections, oil change, wiper blades, brakes, etc.

Thanks Pinecone. Is that 6 yrs, 100K from when I purchase or from '03 ?

hoog23
07-11-2005, 11:54 AM
No Thats from original in-service date.

jrp
07-11-2005, 12:15 PM
My '02 was a CPO...it was very obviously well taken care of by the previous owner. 6 months and over 5,000 miles later (33K miles total), it is still near-perfect. The only problem I've had with it was a "sticky" trunk release mechanism...my dealer fixed that.

Otherwise, the car feels just as strong as solid as my '04 that we got brand new.

vexed
07-11-2005, 12:17 PM
If it is a MY03 then you still have the original warranty and maintenance. The CPO warranty kicks in when the original warranty ends. My car is an 03 and when the factory warranty ends in 2007 the CPO warranty will kick in and run until 2009.

01Byte
07-11-2005, 12:34 PM
I would look at the CPO program as nothing more then an extended warranty. There is absolutly no relationship between how the car was taken care of and it being CPO'd.

Have the car inspected by an independent mechanic regardless of whether it's a CPO or not.

As for the program itself, and the value that it brings against the premium that dealers charge.. I would say that I've heard bad and good things.

Personally, I've had two very bad experiences with CPO cars and at this point find the whole program useless. But, that's just my .02 cents.

Consider this, in order to certify a car, the dealer must fix anything that does not meet the CPO specifications. This expense is not covered by BMW and goes directly against the profit margin that the car carries (and we all know how the dealers hate loosing profit).

In the end, if you approach the car just like you would if you were buying it from a private party (and do the homework) you should end up with a nice, preowned, dependable vehicle, regardless of whether it's a CPO or not.

Good luck in your search...

amacbmw
07-11-2005, 01:40 PM
Having been with BMW (dealership) since the CPO inception. I can tell you that those of us "good" driven dealers stand behing CPO BMWs. First, Not every CPO car was a lease return, some go out and buy them from BMW auctions,history unknown. The dealer you are buying from should , without hesitation, show you the service records; only reason not to would be that they did not fix something. We have to fix everything that fails the CPO checklist (3 pages that tech goes through and signs off on)Brakes are measured, service must be current,cannothave title issues (salvage). Roadside assistance is part of CPO. One catch the some neglect to tell is the $50 processing fee. ASK. There is value in a CPO Bmw, they are the only BMWs covered by the factory past 4yr/50,000.

jetstream23
07-11-2005, 06:17 PM
Many thanks for the clarifications, fellas ! :thumbup: