PDA

View Full Version : Remote Key Programming - 97 318i

mikey_160
07-11-2005, 04:24 AM
Hey, i've just got my car and the remote locking doesn't seem to be working, i've changed the batteries, so the red light flashes now when i press the buttons, but nothing happens. Do i need to re-program this? and if so how do i do it?

The key has two buttons one round button and one rectangle button.

Where do i find the LED in the car that should flash when i lock the car?

Your help is much appreciated

Mike :)

LDV330i
07-11-2005, 05:57 AM
My 97 318ti's remote locking was not operated by the key. It had a separate remote control. Check your handbook and see if the key you got is correct for your Model Year and not a duplicate made on a later MY blank.:dunno: BTW, my remote locking actuator was also part of the alarm system module.

mikey_160
07-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Na, it's the original key. Just not sure of programming instructions for this car?

Any help appreciated

LDV330i
07-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Today I asked a friend who has a 98 323 and his key was identical to my 318ti one. All the key does by pressing on the roundel is to light up as a flash liight. The remote control/alarm is operated by a separate unit. Maybe the US market got different keys. :dunno:

mikey_160
07-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Thanks for your help on this one. Do you know what the rectangular button is for? Cheers

mikey_160
07-13-2005, 12:19 AM
By the way this is a picture of the key hopefully (broken i know, but led on remote still works)

mikey_160
07-13-2005, 12:23 AM
Sorry, pic this time

Zanado
07-20-2005, 10:09 PM
Mikey I picked up my 96 323i in Auckland yesterday with the same key as yours. On my one the round button locks the central locking, the rectangular button unlocks the central locking.

The keys are coded (and can loose their code, and tahnkfully have it reset), but I'm not sure if that coding applies to the central locking, or only the immobiliser - I presume both. It may be that your has lost the coding if the battery went flat, or the battery was out for more than a minute. A BMW dealer can recode it for you (if that was the problem) or you're bound to find how to do that on here or elsewhere on the Internet - I've seen instructions somewhere

mikey_160
07-21-2005, 03:40 AM
Hey, thanks heaps for your response, good to see other Kiwis using this site. All the best with your car, hope it's going good for you

Mike

eighty9vision
09-26-2007, 07:05 PM
does anyone know where to get a 97 318ti 's remote transmitter programmed for keyless entry i'm having the same problem. thanks

PJBIMMER
09-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Scroll up on this post, it probably will tell you how to reprogram, or ask a BMW dealer.

LDV330i
09-26-2007, 10:10 PM
does anyone know where to get a 97 318ti 's remote transmitter programmed for keyless entry i'm having the same problem. thanksIIRC the procedure is outlined in the Owner's Manual.

BMW_tech
09-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Initialization procedure:
1)Open the central locking system (ZV) using the car key.
2)Get into the car and close all the doors.
3)Using the car key, switch the ignition briefly to ignition lock position 1 and then switch off again. The switching time must remain under 5 seconds, otherwise the system is not ready for initialization.
4)On the key transmitter: Press button 2 and hold in.
5)Press button 1 (ROUND) three times (within 10 seconds). Button 2 must remain held in.
6)Release button 2.(UNLOCK)

The central locking system confirms a successful initialization by "locking" and immediately "unlocking" the doors automatically. If the doors do not "lock and unlock" automatically, initialization must be restarted.

Once the first initialization process has been completed, another three radio transmitters can be initialized.

For every other radio transmitter, the procedure described above must be repeated within 30 seconds, otherwise "initialization stand*by" is switched off.

During initialization, all other existing radio transmitters must be initialized. The ignition lock must never be reactivated during the initialization process. If this were to happen, then all radio transmitters would have to be re*initialized.

for the 2 BUTTON REMOTES
Initializing Transmitters:

Each remote transmitter has a unique identification (ID) code. In order for the replacement alarm module to recognize the transmitters, you must follow the procedures detailed below exactly , so that the module learns the ID code of each transmitter.

This code-learning (initialization) procedure must be followed precisely, within the sequence and time limits specified, for the procedure to be carried out successfully.

A. Preparation:

1. Close all doors, trunk, and hood.

2. The security system must be in the "disarmed" condition. The key must be removed from the ignition switch.

B. Entering Code-Learning Mode:

1. Open the trunk and leave it opened.

2. Open the driver's door and sit in the driver's seat.

3. Close the driver's door.

4. Cycle the ignition switch five times between the "OFF' position and position 2 (Ignition "ON"). The red LED will illuminate continuously, and the siren will "chirp" once, to indicate that the code-learning mode has been initiated.

Do not start the engine.

The ignition switch cycling in Step B4 must be performed within 10 seconds.

The sequence in Steps B1 through B4 must be performed within 45 seconds.

C. Register Codes:

1. Open the driver's door and remain seated in the driver's seat.

2. Close the driver's door.

3. Press and release any button on the remote that you want to register into the module. The status LED will shut off momentarily to indicate that one ID code has been registered.

4. Repeat Steps C1 through C3 to register any additional ID codes.

D. Exiting Code-Learning Mode:

1. Open the driver's door and exit the vehicle, leaving the door open.

2. Close the trunk.

3. Close the driver's door. The LED will turn off and the siren will "chirp" twice.

4. The initialization procedure is now completed. Test all remote transmitters to confirm operation.

gpm
09-30-2007, 11:54 AM
great detail BMW_tech, but it did not work for my 2000 540i. I've just purchased a new key through the local dealer ($255) but the remote still does not work. Note I have power steering which means the steering wheel is bouncing up and down for each of the 5 times I turn to ignition position 2. Is there a different mechanism for this model of vehicle? BTW the local dealer was pretty useless and had no idea what to do. He offered to have me leave the car with his mechanic for a diagnostic check ($100 to plug in plus 1 hour of time). I suspect there is a much easier way.....as you detail.

gpm
09-30-2007, 06:28 PM
One more thing - I've just bought this 540i (used). It came with one key (3-button) and that key did not work either. The used car sales guy told me the battery was out.....since this is my first Bimmer I believed him and was not aware of this highly specialized programmable key business. Anyway, I ordered a new key, paid by $255 and now have two master keys which do not work. I've gone through the two types of initialization outlined in this group (one opening the trunk, the other a bit simpler). Neither seems to work. Note my alarm and auto-locks work fine when using the key. It is just the remote that does not work.

BMW_tech
09-30-2007, 06:50 PM
great detail BMW_tech, but it did not work for my 2000 540i. I've just purchased a new key through the local dealer ($255) but the remote still does not work. Note I have power steering which means the steering wheel is bouncing up and down for each of the 5 times I turn to ignition position 2. Is there a different mechanism for this model of vehicle? BTW the local dealer was pretty useless and had no idea what to do. He offered to have me leave the car with his mechanic for a diagnostic check ($100 to plug in plus 1 hour of time). I suspect there is a much easier way.....as you detail.

The procedure you are following is for the 2 button (separate) remote found on e-36 alarms.For the key remote procedure is the top one.Newer key remotes may have a different appearance but similar procedure (first paragraph).If the version with no battery replacement,unlock button held and roundel button pushed 3 times for example.

gpm
09-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks BMW_tech. I just tried it again (using a few variations - button 1 is the unlock on mine, button 2 is the only round button and locks). I tried both. I also switched the ignition in a few variations - position 1 and position 2 (position 2 drops it into place while 1 simply illuminates the dash without moving the steering column). All the time getting in and out of the car. My neighbours think I'm a total lunatic! The car cherps each time I unlock and lock. Sadly no luck. I don't get the flash of fob recognition when I press keys. On a side note I also checked the fuses for burn-outs and it seems okay. What else can go wrong with this system? I can successfully use the key to lock/unlock plus the alarm works (and the red light slowly blinks as usual when the car is locked) so everything seems to be working except for the receiver on the radio fob.....unless I suppose my key combination is different from standard. This is a Canadian vehicle. One other item: it is a manual transmission (I have not been pressing the clutch when I turn the key - I just leave it out so it does not start). Any/all suggestions welcome. Cheers!

BMW_tech
10-01-2007, 12:44 AM
there is a 5 amp fuse located in the trunk (right side).it may be blown,if blown have your fuel door actuator replaced or disconnected.Try again after looking into this.

PhilipWOT
10-01-2007, 02:53 AM
Take it to the dealer. If it's just a matter of programming a key they will do it for you for free in about 3 minutes.

gpm
10-01-2007, 10:44 PM
there is a 5 amp fuse located in the trunk (right side).it may be blown,if blown have your fuel door actuator replaced or disconnected.Try again after looking into this.

dang. Still no luck. The fuses were all happy. I'll take it to the local Bimmerhaus shop to see what he can do. Stay tuned for the update and outcome...and thanks for those replies.

gpm
10-06-2007, 12:15 AM
okay, apparently I'm not crazy after all. The mechanic checked out the key and reckons there is either a radio receiver issue, a "module" issue (which links to the alarm system and thus might be expensive), or a problem with the key recharging system in the steering column. It looks like I'll be spending some quality time with the dealer trying to diagnose this issue.

gpm
10-23-2007, 01:49 AM

Hey BMW_tech, I took the car lock issue to the dealer. They checked the fuses and found MISSING fuses where the lock should be (fuse #53 or 54 I think). When I checked after your comments last time I only checked fuses in place - I did not investigate the missing fuses. Hats off to you our online guru. Also nice was the BMW dealership guys at Burrard/5th in Vancouver who fixed this, added fuses and sent me on my way without charging me. Sweet. :thumbup: