PDA

View Full Version : ipod in car help please

De_UnKnOwN_1
07-14-2005, 04:37 PM
Ok, so I am pretty positive Iím going to get an ipod, and I want to interface it in my car with the dension icelink plus, where you hook it to your six CD player input (not the in dash cd player).

but I have some questions, I know some stuff has been posted about the dension before but I need more specific info

1. Firstly, I need to know where the hell my CD player input thing is
(in the trunk), I have looked before but couldnít find it.

2. and, will this dension thing work with the Apple Ipod + HP the 30 GB model (with photo I believe)

3. ok, so I also need to know that by installing this thing and fishing it through my car, my
warrantee will not be voided

4. Now thereís only two reasons Iím choosing dension over the BMWs adaptor, and thatís because thereís ID tags on the bmw head unit and itís cheaper without labor costs.

5. And you can still use the steering wheel controls with the icelink plus right?

6. also, HOW do I go about fishing this thing through my car? Trunk to glove box? how do I do it without ruining the carpet in my car or whatever, and bear in mind im only 17 and not a car-o-phile :p

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS, I really appreciate your expert knowledge :D

LDV330i
07-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Take a looks at DYI guides for the CD changer installation. The pictures will give a good idea what you are looking for. The cables are bundles and wrapped in black tape and should be sitting atop your wheelwell behing the liner.

Jackflash
07-14-2005, 09:19 PM
Ok, so I am pretty positive Iím going to get an ipod, and I want to interface it in my car with the dension icelink plus, where you hook it to your six CD player input (not the in dash cd player).

but I have some questions, I know some stuff has been posted about the dension before but I need more specific info

1. Firstly, I need to know where the hell my CD player input thing is
(in the trunk), I have looked before but couldnít find it.

2. and, will this dension thing work with the Apple Ipod + HP the 30 GB model (with photo I believe)

3. ok, so I also need to know that by installing this thing and fishing it through my car, my
warrantee will not be voided

4. Now thereís only two reasons Iím choosing dension over the BMWs adaptor, and thatís because thereís ID tags on the bmw head unit and itís cheaper without labor costs.

5. And you can still use the steering wheel controls with the icelink plus right?

6. also, HOW do I go about fishing this thing through my car? Trunk to glove box? how do I do it without ruining the carpet in my car or whatever, and bear in mind im only 17 and not a car-o-phile :p

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS, I really appreciate your expert knowledge :D

1) The link below answers this - if you email Tom at Dension, he will send you the PDF of the install guide.....
2) Ask Tom, I have the 20Gb model.... so I dont know :eek:
5) Yes.....
6) I installed mine in the trunk, to aviod the hassle of fishing the wire through the car and also to have the Ipod more secure, i.e. valet parking. You can program playlists to correspond to the "CD" number buttons (I have the Nav, so not sure what the std radio has, but I am sure it will be similar). The only disadvantage is that I cannot navigate to a specific song (you need to see the Ipods display), but I always leave mine on shuffle. There may be a possibility that Icelink will have the ipod menus on the head unit, but I wont hold my breath!!! :rofl:

De_UnKnOwN_1
07-16-2005, 10:01 PM
wait, you cant navigate specific songs in the playlists?

can you on the OEM Bmw adapter?

gek330i
07-16-2005, 10:49 PM
I think these will answer most of your questions:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1234629&postcount=25
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100871