PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on 530i after 1 week

Cruzer
08-09-2002, 11:34 AM
Well, after 1 week and 600 miles, I can't wipe that silly ass grin off my face. The 530i is an awesome car. :thumbup:

RTFM
Yes, I have RTFM. Lots of little details to learn and forget. I really love the attention to detail and the little "cool" features that BMW has included. Some of the cool little things I like:

- Rear interior lights controllable from the front seats
- OBC: speed limit alarm (set at 80mph), fuel consumption settings, plenty of presets on the radio
- Sport seat: unlike any other seat I've ever sat in
- Radio can be turned on (for up to 20 minutes) with the ignition off
- Automatic wipers: They work!
- Automatic headlights: They also work!
- Seat memory, etc. etc. etc.

Mods? We don't need no stinkin' mods...
I am committed to keeping this car as stock as I can. Only changes I have made: removed visor warnings, installed UUC clutch stop, replaced dealer license plate frame with plain old black ones. Pending changes: rubber floor mats, rubber trunk mat, seat covers, wheel locks. Yep, that's it. No more mods for me, no siree.

Power to spare
Man, I love the power of the 3-liter engine. It is sweet, smooth, and has an awesome growl. In first gear, I almost always have to restrain my acceleration to keep my distance from the car ahead. On the open road, the car is so smooth, it's "like butta."

The clutch is a little finicky, but I've smoothed my shifting to the point where I don't mind the CDV anymore. I think I'm keeping the CDV for now. I have learned to launch at 1,100-1,300 rpm. Less than 1,000 and it hesitates/pulls too much. More than 1,500 and I think it slips a little too much. Also, I've learned not to hesitate between gears. If I shift too slow, I invariably end up having to hit the gas to rev match (and I again get some hesitation/pulling or too much slipping if I overrev). Instead, I take the foot of the gas, push clutch, shift quickly/firmly, and release the clutch right as the revs are coming down, then hit gas again. My dad taught me long ago...smooth shifting is an art, not a science. So I'm still learning. Having driven auto now for 6 years, going back to manual is so much fun it ought to be illegal.

I also increased my tire pressure to 36psi all around and like the ride better (it was set at 29f/33r at the dealer).

Gotta have a V1
Oh, another mod was hardwiring my V1. It works great and fits nicely next to the rearview mirror with suction cups. The car is so smooth, I frequently find myself going too fast. Thank you Mike Valentine...you are a genius. Still, I haven't had any close calls. This morning I drove by a "This is your speed" unit...I got my warning about half a mile around a curve.

The stock sound system is better than I've heard
AM and FM reception is a little weak, but I am happy with the system and don't plan any mods. The number of presets is very nice, and the CD player is also pretty good. For now, I'm not buying a CD changer. I think sometime soon I'm getting a Nomad and storing all my MP3's on it. Then I can hardwire it through the CD changer circuit and run the wiring up to the center console where I can keep the player. I have much more music than a CD changer can hold.

Yes, the cupholders do suck
I stopped by the local methadone clinic (Starbucks) and got a latte on the way to work. NO, I did not plan on drinking it in the car. I tried to put the cup in the cupholder, but it just wouldn't hold it straight. So I had to shove it in there and hold it with my finger tips between shifts. I'm gonna need something better to hold my drinks. Again, I don't drink in the car, but I need something I can trust to hold my cups.

Bottom line
I love it! Getting ready to wash it tomorrow. Also waiting for my Zaino. Brake dust is a pain, but a small price to pay. Thanks for reading. :thumbup: :thumbup: :D

JPinTO
08-09-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Cruzer
Mods? We don't need no stinkin' mods...
I am committed to keeping this car as stock as I can. Only changes I have made: removed visor warnings, installed UUC clutch stop, replaced dealer license plate frame with plain old black ones. Pending changes: rubber floor mats, rubber trunk mat, seat covers, wheel locks. Yep, that's it. No more mods for me, no siree.
[/B]

Famous last words: "No mods"!

I had those exact same words for my first year. No mods... nope never. Then "just" OE mods: Clears and M68 wheels.

Then the brakes needed replacements: Upgrade to 330 brakes.

Then the suspension started getting sloppy: Let's go aftermarket.

You're committed to no mods and yet you already installed the UUC stop! It's a slippery slope! Enjoy! :D

Cruzer
08-09-2002, 11:56 AM
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!