PDA

View Full Version : Pre Wired '05 325i Needs A phone!

honestserg
07-16-2005, 08:43 AM
Just bought an '05 325i. The premium package included pre wiring for a phone, BMW Assist and the shark fin antenna. My BM dealer wants 1000 coconuts for installing whatever is needed for the system to work. This does not include the phone.

Anyone outhere who got the phone system installed on the same type of car/year and can perhaps give me some advise? I will certainly appreciate it. :)

JSpira
07-16-2005, 10:03 AM
Just bought an '05 325i. The premium package included pre wiring for a phone, BMW Assist and the shark fin antenna. My BM dealer wants 1000 coconuts for installing whatever is needed for the system to work. This does not include the phone.

Anyone outhere who got the phone system installed on the same type of car/year and can perhaps give me some advise? I will certainly appreciate it. :)

If you have the premium package (ZPP) or BMW ASSIST (SA639) you should have Bluetooth - are you sure you don't?

honestserg
07-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Thank you for your help. I am certain that I have the Premium Package & BMW Assist. I even set up the Assist account with the rep the day I purchased the car by talking with him through the radio, however, I am not certain if I have Bluetooth. Do you know if there is a way for me to confirm if I have Bluetooth or not? Thanks. :)

Technic
07-16-2005, 02:16 PM
Thank you for your help. I am certain that I have the Premium Package & BMW Assist. I even set up the Assist account with the rep the day I purchased the car by talking with him through the radio, however, I am not certain if I have Bluetooth. Do you know if there is a way for me to confirm if I have Bluetooth or not? Thanks. :)

Why your dealer rep didn't explain to you all this Bluetooth feature is completely unacceptable IMO...:tsk:

Check the production date of your 05 -it is located below the driver's door lock jam barcode sticker in a XX/XX configuration. If it is 09/04 or later your car has the Bluetooth, you will only need a Bluetooth phone. List of approved phones are here: http://www.bmwusa.com/NR/rdonlyres/65E4431A-0A6F-4AB0-AE7F-2C11F6AE30A0/0/Bluetooth_phones.pdf

Sometimes the car can be delivered with the Bluetooth not activated, so that is something that you could discuss with your dealer... after all, it was their responsability after the sale to activate it and explain to you how this feature works. :confused:

honestserg
07-16-2005, 02:51 PM
I did inquire about the phone to my Rep the day I purchased the car. He verbally stated it was around $1,700.00. Just a few days ago I went back to the dealer and requested a formal estimate and this one resulted being around $980.00. Funky, huh?

I will however take a look at the configuration as you stated. Once more, I thank you for your time and attention. :)

Technic
07-16-2005, 03:13 PM
I did inquire about the phone to my Rep the day I purchased the car. He verbally stated it was around $1,700.00. Just a few days ago I went back to the dealer and requested a formal estimate and this one resulted being around $980.00. Funky, huh?

I will however take a look at the configuration as you stated. Once more, I thank you for your time and attention. :)

AFAIK, I do not think that a CPT9000 phone (wired) can be installed in any 2005 BMW with Bluetooth... the wiring is not there anymore. So maybe your dealer is talking about installing a Bluetooth module in your car for that amount of money...

Or your car really does not have Bluetooth, or your dealer doesn't know what the hell they are talking about... check your production date. :D

honestserg
07-16-2005, 04:31 PM
The sticker states that it was manufactured on 08/04. My luck, huh? :mad:

JSpira
07-16-2005, 04:38 PM
The sticker states that it was manufactured on 08/04. My luck, huh? :mad:

So you just bought a 325 that is 11 mos. old :yikes:

What exactly are they going to give you for your $980? Tell them to be specific.

mde83
07-16-2005, 04:39 PM
I think you are confused and think you need to get a WIRED phone in your car. In case you did not read the thread link Technic gave you above, Bluetooth allows your Cellular phone to pair with your car for handsfree use, like a car phone. You can use the steering wheel buttons to make and end calls and your cellular phone's phonebook will also communicate with your car and display on your radio, so you can scroll through your phone book with the radio buttons, make calls, etc... Even if you production date is such that bluetooth cannot be used with BMW Assist, you would just have to disable Assist to use Bluetooth. Ths cost no where near $1000...

Do a search on this forum for Bluetooth and read several threads, especially the older threads. I think you Dealer is trying to take you for a ride...

If you would rather, instead of asking the dealer how to get a phone in your car (leading them to think you want a wired phone) ask them what you have to do to use Bluetooth. While you are at it, ask them to explin what Bluetooth does.... You do NOT need a wired phone to use Bluetooth

honestserg
07-16-2005, 06:32 PM
Youy think it was a bad buy? 2005 325i, Orient Blue Metallic, Premium Package, Beige Leather, Xenons, Steptronic, Moonroof and 2900 miles. Price: $24,000.00. However, no phone. :bawling:

Anyhow, to answer your question. The dealer stated that the $980.00 was pertaining to a kit number 84216955522 valued at $455.00, another kit which I did not write down the number and price, plus approx 2 hours in labor.

honestserg
07-16-2005, 07:23 PM
I am indeed confused, however, not concerning Bluetooth technology. I bought a cell phone Bluetooth enabled and a headset a year ago for my 12 year old daughter. Now she wants the new headset from Logitech for her ipod. Well, that goes on and on with kids this age!

What I do not understand is the following: My car is pre wired, already has the buttons on the steering wheels. Further, I can hear the Rep from BMW Assist and I can talk to him/her as well. Evidently, I have a microphone. My understanding so far is, that having all this on a '05 325i, does not necessary constitute that it has Bluetooth. So I am in the air right now with this issue. What I need to do is, realize if my car has Bluetooth or not. Aparently it might not have it given that it was manufactured on 08/04, according to another fellow.

I will follow your advise however. Let me go back to the old threads, do some homework and see if my noodles can figure this out.

Anyhow, I thank you for your time. :)

Technic
07-16-2005, 10:18 PM
I am indeed confused, however, not concerning Bluetooth technology. I bought a cell phone Bluetooth enabled and a headset a year ago for my 12 year old daughter. Now she wants the new headset from Logitech for her ipod. Well, that goes on and on with kids this age!

What I do not understand is the following: My car is pre wired, already has the buttons on the steering wheels. Further, I can hear the Rep from BMW Assist and I can talk to him/her as well. Evidently, I have a microphone. My understanding so far is, that having all this on a '05 325i, does not necessary constitute that it has Bluetooth. So I am in the air right now with this issue. What I need to do is, realize if my car has Bluetooth or not. Aparently it might not have it given that it was manufactured on 08/04, according to another fellow.

I will follow your advise however. Let me go back to the old threads, do some homework and see if my noodles can figure this out.

Anyhow, I thank you for your time. :)

Your car do not have Bluetooth: http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/841304.pdf :cry:

One option that you might consider is to replace the Assist TCU unit of your vehicle for the current Assist TCU that includes the Bluetooth section and a phone Voice Activation feature (dialing by voice). The P/N is 84 11 6 964 114, the cost is around $550.00 plus at the most an hour of programming. You can install it yourself and save some bucks... that is if you are interested in keeping the Assist feature.

If you are not interested in keeping your Assist feature then buy the dealer's 84 21 6 955 522 Bluetooth kit for those $455.00 (good price by the way) and install it yourself: http://golilm.com/DIY/Bluetooth/ ... no dealer programming is required. This kit also comes with a full Voice activation feature (phone, scratchpad and Nav). Going this route will require removing your Assist module completely to install this Bluetooth kit: http://www.bimmernav.com/assist2BT.htm

Those are your two options to get an OEM Bluetooth phone system in your car.

A third option is for an OEM wired phone: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70860. This is the cheapest and fastest way (around $270.00 parts and programming, installation is a no brainer of removing the cupholders, plugging two connectors and snapping a phone cradle there) of getting a phone in your car and still be OEM. However, you will not have Voice Activation unless you pay an extra $375.00 for a separate module and this system only works with a V60i (CPT9000) phone ($50.00 at ebay)...

Your car production date of 08/04 allows for a V60i phone to be installed.

honestserg
07-17-2005, 11:04 AM
I thank you very much for taking the time to explain and clarify everything for me. Very kind indeed. I am going to shoot for the option that allows me to keep the BM Assist. I will however, have someone install it for me. :)

JSpira
07-17-2005, 11:14 AM
Youy think it was a bad buy? 2005 325i, Orient Blue Metallic, Premium Package, Beige Leather, Xenons, Steptronic, Moonroof and 2900 miles. Price: $24,000.00. However, no phone. :bawling:

Anyhow, to answer your question. The dealer stated that the $980.00 was pertaining to a kit number 84216955522 valued at $455.00, another kit which I did not write down the number and price, plus approx 2 hours in labor.

For a 2005, sounds like a decent deal BUT when did the clock start running on your warranty?

Technic
07-17-2005, 11:37 AM
I thank you very much for taking the time to explain and clarify everything for me. Very kind indeed. I am going to shoot for the option that allows me to keep the BM Assist. I will however, have someone install it for me. :)

Good choice and good luck... :thumbup:

... you should realize that a cradle (if available) for the phone that you would ultimately choose to work with this configuration will not work in your car:

http://www.m3forum.net/gallery/data/522/22895Cradle-med.JPG

honestserg
07-19-2005, 12:01 AM
After that I guess I am on my own. :)

honestserg
07-19-2005, 12:04 AM
Thanks!

tehkao
07-19-2005, 12:50 AM
Technic:
May I ask where can I order a Bluetooth TCU for only $550? PacificBMW quoted me $740, are there cheaper places?

Technic
07-19-2005, 06:46 AM
Technic:
May I ask where can I order a Bluetooth TCU for only $550? PacificBMW quoted me $740, are there cheaper places?

Crevier BMW... ask for Vaheh. :thumbup:

honestserg
07-19-2005, 09:16 AM
Are you aware of any place in Florida where I can buy the Assist TCU 84 11 6 964 114? (I am in the Ft. Myers area). And,

is the programming something the has to be carried out specifically by the BM dealer?

I thank you much. :)

Technic
07-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Are you aware of any place in Florida where I can buy the Assist TCU 84 11 6 964 114? (I am in the Ft. Myers area). And,

is the programming something the has to be carried out specifically by the BM dealer?

I thank you much. :)

Any BMW dealer in your area should have it or can be ordered... for retail.

The programming has to be done by the dealer, it should include matching your vehicle VIN to the new TCU and activating the BT section. :thumbup: