PDA

View Full Version : ENGINE PROBLEM IN MY 2003 M3(E-46) Cold Start !

ryanb43
07-18-2005, 02:23 PM
When I try to start my car for the first time in the morning I can't ever start it, first try it just cranks. Then, when I turn the key to off and retry it fires right up and it will fire up great for the rest of the day until the next morning no matter if the temp is 60 degrees F or 90. I took it into the dealer and they said I needed a software upgrade and so they did it and it did'nt help. My car has 54,000 miles on it and is out of warranty so I would really appreciate some help!

bren
07-18-2005, 04:09 PM
This has been covered before. Try the search.......

steveli
07-20-2005, 11:12 AM
When I try to start my car for the first time in the morning I can't ever start it, first try it just cranks. Then, when I turn the key to off and retry it fires right up and it will fire up great for the rest of the day until the next morning no matter if the temp is 60 degrees F or 90. I took it into the dealer and they said I needed a software upgrade and so they did it and it did'nt help. My car has 54,000 miles on it and is out of warranty so I would really appreciate some help!

I had the same problem... apparently the dealership said that well in my case I drove the car as too low a RPM... he said it is reccommended that you drive above 3000RPM... and if you don't drive the car agressively don't use a "higher octane" fuel... dat's why now I drive above 3000 RPM always.... and dropped my fuel octane down back to 92 instead of 94

07-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Is that occours between the 2000 and 3000 rpms?

How could I fix the problem at 1st start of the day?

that problem is like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9JEdTW84gU

DJ_INHALE
07-07-2007, 07:10 PM
coils?
02 censor?
cata. convertor?

all three were an issue for me and I have had all 3 changed

07-08-2007, 01:44 AM
coils?
02 censor?
cata. convertor?

all three were an issue for me and I have had all 3 changed

O2 sensor has changed, coils mean 'ignition coil' or not?

ThatOneGuy
07-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Could be as simple as bad gas. Run a bottle of Chevron Techron & switch to a top tier fuel, see if it helps.

07-10-2007, 01:23 AM
This problem appears only first 0.4 kilometers (0.25 miles) from the first start of the day. After that everything work properly.

I think Supersprint rear exhaust may cause that, I will remove it.

Pinecone
07-10-2007, 05:16 PM
I guess no one bothered trying to search.

For the won't start at first, it is likely to be the fuel pressure bleeding down. Turn key on and wait 15 seconds or so and see if this helps.

Secondly, these are high compression high performance engiens and they don't like to run when cold. So they will stutter, stumble, and even quit when cold. If you don't like it, get a normal mainstream lower performance car.

Driving RPM had nothing to do with it.

And need for fuel octane is greatest at LOW RPM with large throttle openings. This is when cylinder pressures are greatest and you will detonate with low octane fuel and punch great big holes in the tops of your pistons. NOT covered under warranty.

ThatOneGuy
07-10-2007, 05:16 PM
This problem appears only first 0.4 kilometers (0.25 miles) from the first start of the day. After that everything work properly.

I think Supersprint rear exhaust may cause that, I will remove it.

I don't see how that would cause the problem.